Dropped the trailer!

I’ve done it once about 9 year ago, I was a night shunter but I had to shunt with a old scania so was pretty hard graft keeping pace with all the movements that came through the radio. Anyway about 4.30am doink dropped one!! Went into the warehouse jumped on a forklift and asked another forkie to come out to help me wae summit :laughing: lifted lovely. Could have used the high gear a suppose to lift it in hindsight.

Taken 2 weeks ago :slight_smile:

Radar19:

Harry Monk:
If you’re going to do it, do it properly. :stuck_out_tongue:

The legs look down on that trailer.

Well spotted radar, no flies on you pal :unamused: :wink:

^^^ well they’re touching the floor! About as far down as you can get. :wink:

First time I dropped one (oo-er!) in 30 years was a couple of weeks ago. Doing a changeover in a layby on the A20 near Lenham, on a slope with a nasty camber on the right. I parked on the left, and talked the other driver into there and told him to park behind me.
He pulled in and parked opposite me for some reason. I told him that I’d put the trailer brake on (because of the slope) and asked him to put his on. Dropped mine, he dropped his low so I dropped my suspension and backed under it ( after double checking with him that he’d applied the brake). Got the fifth wheel under the trailer and lifted the suspension whilst checking the mirror to see when the trailer was lifting to connect the pin.
As it lifted I saw it slide sideways and backwards - I ■■■■ myself! It hit the deck and bent the right leg badly. Took about 30 minutes of sweating and swearing to get locked onto the pin.
I asked the driver why he hadn’t applied the trailer brake (or words to that effect!), and he said “I hit the black button!”. Last time I EVER trust what I’m told by a supposed “professional” driver who can’t tell the difference between a brake and shunt button.
I know I should have physically checked - but I assumed he knew what he was doing :unamused:
As Samuel L Jackson once said “Never assume - you just make an ■■■ out of you and umption!”

(1) Never let anyone engage you in conversation whilst you go through an uncoupling procedure… Distraction is a lot of reason behind “dropping a trailer on it’s knees”.

(2) Get into the habit of “Couple - Legs last - Decouple - Legs first”

(3) Be wary of dropping part-loaded trailers. Invariably the forkies have put the weight up the front, allowing for the tip-up options depicted above… :smiling_imp:

(4) Use the tractor raise/lower suspension. Couple with third axle (if present) in the down position to re-distrubute the weight better.

(5) Always apply the red trailer brake - unless you work at Fedex, where they don’t use it.

(6) Do not split-couple at Tescos.

(7) Avoid dropping trailers in poorly-lit areas where you might be on a slope you were not aware of… Check red trailer brake is on before putting on airlines - especially if on a split couple, slope, or hurry!

(8) If possible, try and drop a trailer next to the one you are picking up. The ground is likely to be more similar, and you don’t ponce across the yard with the 5th wheel at very likely the wrong height compared to the two trailers.

(9) Make sure you inform someone of where and what the trailer you dropped is to the shunter if no one else… How many frozen loads have been lost because the trailer stayed there across a weekend, ran out of fuel, and spoilt - all because no one knew it was there…? :open_mouth: