Dropped in to say hello

Hello
I am a bit of an interloper here as I’m not a Trucker but drive a desk instead.
Read “Coffee to go” and just wanted to say how I enjoyed it.
When I was a wee lad, my pals Dad drove for BRS and would sometimes take us on his daily run in the summer holidays. (was that legal ?)
This planted the seeds of my boyhood ambition of driving an artic.
However an accident on my motorbike at the age of 18 stopped that as I now only drive automatics.
I’ve attended Truckfest (Scotland) for the past few years and this year took my daughters aged 3 and 6. I wasn’t sure how much they would enjoy it but they loved it and still talk about it.
I’m amazed at the advances in the vehicles themselves and admit to having a wee dream when I sat in the Volvo VN (auto) at the Volvo stand.
I’m as guilty as the next person for thinking the grass is always greener, but life on the open road looks far more interesting than office life. Especially driving in Europe.

Anyway, Take care

Drew
:smiley:

G’day sport!

Welcome, fairly new here too, good site, good bunch of guys, very helpful and we all have something to learn.

Best wishes.

:smiley:
Hi and welcome to trucknet, hope you enjoy it and dont be shy about posting, might give us a different view on things.
If your at Ingleston this year look out for me on the Justice for Drivers stand and the Boss has agreed we can take 4 of the trucks to :sunglasses:
Come and say hello, have a beer or a coffee and I’ll sting you for a donation :open_mouth:

welcome to trucknet stinky,good to have you on board irrespective of what you do as a living.this site is for anyone to visit and to join.please feel free to join in and ask anything you want,we will always try to answer it truthfully and honestly as we can,then we will take the mick out of you :laughing: :laughing:
the kids always enjoy truckfest ( sometimes more than dad) it’s good for them and lets them get up close to the trucks themselves,most lads will let them sit in them and get their photo’s taken etc.might see you at edinburgh this august m8. :bulb: as for your pal’s dad taking you’s out in the summer,what BRS didn’t know would not hurt them.but in general most companies have a policy that unless the passenger is a member of the company then it’s a no no,i work for DHL and our policy is no passengers.but wot they don’t know :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
anyway good to have you here keep posting and enjoy the site.

P.S. WHAT PART OF EDINBURGH ARE YOU FROM :question:[/b]

I think I’m right in saying you can learn in an auto. I drive an Iveco auto and its easier to drive then the family car. I stand to be corrected on this and proably will be.
A lot of modern trucks are autos

Hiya
When we were leaving for Ingleston my wife was kidding the wee ones saying"dont let Daddy buy a truck".
When I asked the Volvo rep about the autobox in the VN the girls thought I was going to buy it.
“Mummy said dont buy a truck, somone will want your SAAB, etc”
I wound them up a bit when I had a seat in it and said I wanted a blue one.
They had a change of heart when they got a lolly pop from the rep though.
I think that Truck was about $200,000 .
Jings
Kitkat, I’m originally from Gilmerton but now live in Morningside.
Cheers
Drew

I’ve noticed a lot of trucks are available with fully auto boxes, notably Volvo (FH12 here)
Ebay in the states usually has a few.
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI … 59453&rd=1
Sems to have 3 pedals this one though.
Might be good for continental work ? I dont know how viable it would be.
Does anyone here run an american truck ?
A few months back we went had some redundancies, but I survived that.
At the time I thought about what I would do if I had been paid of. It’s interesting the number of people who left an IT job and took up plumbing, or something else.
I would miss the people I work with but not office life. I do enjoy driving and I’m quite happy doing long distances.
I’ll look into it again if there are more redundancies.
I’ve spoken to one LGV driver who attends the same clinic as me. (I have an artificial leg). He drives one of the semi-autos. You use the clutch only for starting and stopping.
We’ll see

You use the clutch only for starting and stopping.

Sounds to me like the old Eaton twin split then!!!

Ken.

Ullo :laughing:

I live here in GERMANY mate and there are quite a few lorrydrivers

over here with the same problem as you and they are driveing

fullyautomatics. I know of one driver with two artifical legs and he

drives a lorry still and also has a lift on the drivers side to take him

to the cabin height where he then gets into the cab.

If you wish to why not live you dream and stuff if to those who

do not understand your way of thinking. all best in what ever you do.

Hi and welcome to trucknet stinky :smiley: ,

Welcome honey, stick around! :wink: