driving without digi card

ive started a new job ,and its my first non-agency job for a local laundry,anyway ive been asked by my tm to drive a truck to london tonight that has a digi tach but i have not recieved my digi card from dvla yet,he says this id fine as you have 15 calender days ,im not sure ,can anyone shed any light

It depends on why you’re waiting for the card from the DVLA, if you’re waiting for a replacement for a lost/stolen or faulty Driver Card then you do have 15 days but if you have never had a Driver Card you can not legally drive a vehicle fitted with a digital tachograph … sorry but you did ask :wink:

I you haven’t had one issued, you will be staying at home tonight :exclamation:

Failing the above, you can drive the vehicle, but you will have to do a print out at the end of your shift.
so if you have had a digi, but are replacing it, then all is ok…its always best to note the drivers number of your digi, as the print out details ask for this number.

truckyboy:
Failing the above, you can drive the vehicle, but you will have to do a print out at the beginning and end of each shift.
so if you have had a digi, but are replacing it, then all is ok…its always best to note the drivers number of your digi, as the print out details ask for this number.

As mentioned this only applies if you already had a digital card and was waiting for a replacement, not the drivers first issue.

You can drive for 15 days while waiting for a replacement card, that is providing that you have informed DVLA on 0300 790 6109 in the case of a stolen or lost card.

If it is to replace a card that is damaged or faulty then the application form must be filled in and the old card returned to DVLA.

In either case the new card must be applied for before 7 days have elapsed.

Anyway I just realised this post is a week old, so what happened to the OP :stuck_out_tongue:

i had a digi card bout 8 years ago for 7.5ton work but got banned for 3 years,so had to take all my tests again ,so my license is a new type one with out the c1 cat on it,my driving license number remained the same but im still un sure whether it would be ok for me to drive,i didnt take the truck in the end as im unsure ,but i need to know as theres still no sign of digi card from them and its been a while,well 8 days,and my boss doesnt like paying for a driver that doesnt drive,

benny947mud:
i had a digi card bout 8 years ago for 7.5ton work but got banned for 3 years,so had to take all my tests again ,so my license is a new type one with out the c1 cat on it,my driving license number remained the same but im still un sure whether it would be ok for me to drive,i didnt take the truck in the end as im unsure ,but i need to know as theres still no sign of digi card from them and its been a while,well 8 days,and my boss doesnt like paying for a driver that doesnt drive,

I suspect that you may be confusing the digi card with the ‘new’ style driving licence, which is now a card with a further paper part.

AFAIK digi cards were not introduced until 2005. I’m sure someone will be along to correct me if I’m wrong on that. So I don’t think you could have had one 8 years ago ■■?

You need a seperate application for a drivers’ card - it does not come automatically with your licence.

If your license does not have category C1 on it then you’re restricted to vehicles with a MAM of no more than 3.5 tonnes.

There are some but I wouldn’t have thought that many vehicles of 3.5 tonnes or less would be fitted with tachographs, so what size is this vehicle they want you to drive ?

By the way 8 days isn’t really a long time to wait for a Driver Card, I had mine back in about a week when I renewed it recently but I think they say you should allow up-to 15 days.