Driving without a tacho?

Hi, please can someone help me, I have been driving Class1’s for 6 years now, and for the last year and a half have been driving for a telecommunications company, and we dont use tachos, we have to fill in a chart, of which you can put any old hours on, start/finish, mileage etc. We were told recently that we’re not to drive for more than 4 hours in any 24hr period, as we dont not use tachographs.

Can someone please help me, with the above, 4hrs issue? and are you only meant to drive a certain distance?? I have recently been suspended for issues including a new job pack that would require me driving near on, or over the 4 hour limit.

Sorry, I dont mean to sound thick, i’m clued up with general tacho rules, but this is the first time I have ever come across this.

Thanks
Andrew

First off, welcome to TruckNet UK. :smiley: :smiley:

If you are exempted from the EU rules due to this UK implemented derogation -

Vehicles used in connection with sewerage, flood protection, water, gas and electricity maintenance services, road maintenance or control, door-to-door household refuse collection or disposal, telegraph or telephone services, radio or television broadcasting and the detection of radio or television transmitters or receivers.

• then you will come under UK domestic rules where the driving limit is 10 hours per day with a duty time of 11 hours. Drivers who drive for less than 4 hours on each day of the week are exempt from the duty limit. The only reason they could want you to drive less than 4 hours would be to allow you to work more than 11 hours per day but simply not using a tachograph doesn’t limit you to 4 hours driving.

Sounds like someone has got the wrong end of the stick over domestic regulations and has managed to invent a new rule. Ask them to show you teh legislation which limits you to 4 hours driving. :wink:

Hi Loftgroover well come to the mad house lots of good info in here

Coffeeholic:
has managed to invent a new rule

that would be a company rule :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: