Driving with out digi card in

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this but have you tried looking at your digi card seeing what it says for those times if you are sure you put it into the tachograph in this vehicle.

We had a digi tachograph in one of our trucks was knackered, put card in everything fine, then later on would say driving without a card.

there going to check the download off card we have to hand them in every friday to be downloaded so they going to look back…think they going to check digi tach in truck aswell…the truck is not based at our depot but at bridgwater

ROG:

Wheel Nut:

ROG:

Wheel Nut:

ROG:

stvme2519:
i asked that question and ive been told as it is classed as a working truck they have to have a tacho in…
but we had digi tachos in anyway

I might have to check on this as I was doing an ‘on site’ job where I was using a companies’ truck for training (with L plates on) and was told that it was then tacho exempt - Hmmmm … a phone call to DVLA me thinks…

Rog, check this too.
Can a digital card be issued to a provisional licence holder to learn with?

Does the digi form have a section on it where you have to put your licence info? I’ve never had one so I don’t know.

It uses your driver number, so I just wondered if you could get a chicken before an egg :stuck_out_tongue:

I would GUESS yes but I’ll e-mail and check

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 01/03/2008 09:11:53
To: drivers.dvla@gtnet.gov.uk
Subject: digi tacho

can a person get a digi tacho card before they have full or provisional LGV licence?

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm you will need to be in possession of a LGV licence if you wish to apply for a digital tachograph card.

In the meantime, if you require any information regarding this, please contact our helpline on 0870 850 1074 and they will be able to assist you further regarding this matter.

Regards

MISS T D DAVIES
www.direct.gov.uk/motoring

ROG:

stvme2519:
i asked that question and ive been told as it is classed as a working truck they have to have a tacho in…

I might have to check on this as I was doing an ‘on site’ job where I was using a companies’ truck for training (with L plates on) and was told that it was then tacho exempt - Hmmmm … a phone call to DVLA me thinks…

PS just sent e-mails to DVLA & VOSA on this issue

Got reply :smiley: :smiley:

SECTION 1: EU rules on drivers’ hours 12

Derogations
Vehicles used for driving instruction and examination
with a view to obtaining a driving licence or a certificate
of professional competence, provided that they are
not being used for the commercial carriage of goods or
passengers.

ROG:

stvme2519:

PS just sent e-mails to DVLA & VOSA on this issue

Got reply :smiley: :smiley:

SECTION 1: EU rules on drivers’ hours 12

Derogations
Vehicles used for driving instruction and examination
with a view to obtaining a driving licence or a certificate
of professional competence, provided that they are
not being used for the commercial carriage of goods or
passengers.

ROG:
I would GUESS yes but I’ll e-mail and check

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 01/03/2008 09:11:53
To: drivers.dvla@gtnet.gov.uk
Subject: digi tacho

can a person get a digi tacho card before they have full or provisional LGV licence?

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm you will need to be in possession of a LGV licence if you wish to apply for a digital tachograph card.

In the meantime, if you require any information regarding this, please contact our helpline on 0870 850 1074 and they will be able to assist you further regarding this matter.

Regards

MISS T D DAVIES
www.direct.gov.uk/motoring

Miss T D Davies is an idiot and wrong. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :open_mouth: You can have a digital tacho card and not be an LGV or PCV licence holder.

What about drivers who passed their ordinary driving test years ago? They are entitled to drive a vehicle equipped with a digital tachograph up to 7.5 tonnes and do not need to hold an LGV to do so. Then there are people such as the guy I know who has a digi tacho fitted in a Landrover Discovery. He delivers cars on a trailer and when he is towing the trailer it apparently puts the vehicle in the tachograph required category. He only has an ordinary driving licence but he does have a digi card.

Maybe Miss T D Davies should have checked on another Government website where in answer to the Question who can have a digi card it says:

Who can have one?

Holders of a valid drivers licence with the correct entitlement who need to drive vehicles subject to the EU drivers’ hours’ regulation 3820/85 fitted with a Digital tachograph vehicle unit. This includes any trailer or semi-trailer and vehicles used for the carriage of passengers suitable for carrying more than nine persons including the driver. Remember that this could be any commercial or dual purpose vehicle with a permissible gross weight over 3.5tonnes (including any trailer drawn by it) or passenger vehicle used in the course of business and not just holders of vocational licences.

The bit in bold says it all.