Driving with out ataco in

Hi all well the firm that i work for wontes us to drive in the yard with out one in i said that is not leagle as when i go to work i am on duty. but thay say this is private land . and it is leagle thay have us sineing in in the morning but thay are start time is on the taco . all so what about the missing milage maybe only 3tenths but at the end of a week it could be as much as 2 miles. can some one help me thanks. :confused: :confused: Boost

Simple answer is that you are at work so you are on duty and that should be recorded by the tacho.

If you are at work but havenā€™t had access to a vehicle to use a tacho you record the time you started work, and what you were doing before getting the vehicle e. g. break, other wqork, on the back of the disc or some companies have a rule were you mark a line on the front of the disc to show what time you ā€˜clocked on.ā€™.

They seem top be confusing the fact that ā€˜off roadā€™ driving doesnā€™t count towards the daily driving limit but that has no bearing on the duty time. You are at work, you are on duty and it seems they are encouraging you to work in excess of the allowed duty time for the day by not counting what you did before starting out on the road.

Thanks for that as i said the taco should be in even on privat land is there some where i could get this in black and white so i can put it on the bord at work :smiley: :laughing: thanks again .

Has that knew VOSA got a site :question:

It is easier to just mark the back of your card if you havent got a lorry straight away. I mark my card at home with the roster time Im due to start work cos if there is a check then it is you who gets done.

The VOSA site or DFT has this in black and white.

When i first started driving we had to use a clock machine as well as log books and several of us got done because the clock cards started at 8am and the log books would be from 8.30 because we drank tea till then waiting for the trunk lads to come back, but we were still on duty from 8 till 6.

At the moment driving off road doesnt count to daily driving but the new regs will change that. Any time spent driving will be counted. Mr Driver will have more info on that I think

Vosa Site

yes i have been driveing a long time as well i only wonted to now becouse we have a yong lad in the transport. who said this i dont mind losing my job as long as i am wright .(ha ha )we think he is wallpapering the office with his memos i did try and put VOSA IN BUT nothing happend. thanks again the egg run on sunday that will take my mind off work well the beeeeeer will after at the tap in eastam

Boost, the definitive judgement on this subject is the case against Skills Coaches, slightly different circumstances, but the principal is still the same.

Click here for the link.

Thanks for that , i have printed it off

You dont need a Tacho if you are not driving on the public highway.
Private land = no tacho

Weedkiller:
You dont need a Tacho if you are not driving on the public highway.

that may be the case if it is for your own private use
but you do have to record all your working time wether on public or private land, driving or not

Weedkiller:
Private land = no tacho

so you can take it out each time you are at an RDC etcā€¦I think not!!!

99% of my deliveries are to farms and on a rough reckoning I would do up to a hour a day driving on ā€œprivate roadsā€ . As this is in the middle of ā€œnormal drivingā€ how would the police or Ministry tell if you had been off a public road? Itā€™s totally in practical to take the tacho disc out each time. As wheel nut stated it wont be a problem when the new regs come in but what now? Never been a problem for me before but with new job and different deliveries it now is.

Dave

im sure i read it that when off public road driving hours do not appy, which you make a manual entry forā€¦
Soā€¦if you was driving on a public road then go off road you wouldnt take it outā€¦thereforeā€¦if you never enter onto a public highway their is no need for a tachograph.

Weedkiller:
im sure i read it that when off public road driving hours do not appy, which you make a manual entry forā€¦
Soā€¦if you was driving on a public road then go off road you wouldnt take it outā€¦thereforeā€¦if you never enter onto a public highway their is no need for a tachograph.

So what you are saying record the off road on the back of the disc? What happens if you get a pull from the Law or Wheeltappers before?

Dave

Weedkiller:

I think the origonal post was refering to time before leaving the yard, not driving only on private land.
as you say providing you never go on public highways you would not need a tacho, however you would still have to make a record of your working time off road if consequently in that week you drove on the public highways.
Drivers hours regs still apply for off road driving when combined with on road driving, but count only towards total working time & not towards driving time.

Well thay said thay have been in touch with vosa. and we dont need a tacowhan are the new laws out. :confused:

boost:
Well thay said thay have been in touch with vosa. and we dont need a tacowhan are the new laws out. :confused:

get the boss to show you that on VOSA headed paper