Driving with out a valid tax disc

Can anybody help please,i work for a small company operating to 18ton Lorry’s. My lorry has since run out of tax and i keep asking my boss for a new tax disc but he keeps making excuses about getting it. How do i stand with the law is it me that will be prosecuted if i get stopped ? please help. Thanks.

diggerdigs72:
Can anybody help please,i work for a small company operating to 18ton Lorry’s. My lorry has since run out of tax and i keep asking my boss for a new tax disc but he keeps making excuses about getting it. How do i stand with the law is it me that will be prosecuted if i get stopped ? please help. Thanks.

its outta tax u get done,

its just no tax disc you’ll get done for.
under the new rules from vosa you’ll also get done for having a vehicle thats not road worthy.
also if they want to be a bunch of idiots they can also do you for no insurnce as with no tax disc you could find your insurance is void.
if I was you, refuse to drive it.
and to cover your arse record the convo with your boss so that youve got evidence if he fires you.
there is just too nsny offences that you could get done for that its not worth the risk.

lizard:
they can also do you for no insurnce as with no tax disc you could find your insurance is void.

That is not true (although if the owner is having trouble affording a couple of hundred quid for a tax disc, has he paid the insurance?)

Roymondo:

lizard:
they can also do you for no insurnce as with no tax disc you could find your insurance is void.

That is not true (although if the owner is having trouble affording a couple of hundred quid for a tax disc, has he paid the insurance?)

You cannot tax a vehicle without insurance, but you can insure a vehicle without tax :stuck_out_tongue:

But no tax means the insurance is void. There’s 6 points for you right there!

nvHerman:

No it doesn’t.

nvHerman:

Then why is it that you can drive a car to a pre-booked MOT without road tax but not without insurance ?

diggerdigs72:

Defect the vehicle and refuse to drive it, it shouldn’t be on the road without a valid tax disc.

What are the excuses he comes up with ?

diggerdigs72:

NO you will not get prosecuted, the offence is to the operator of the vehicle. You’ve posted this question on the 5th Jan, and you say you keep asking him. If the disc should of started on the 1st of Jan then in all probability you have nothing to worry about at all.If , however the disc should of commenced 1st December then i’d be more concerned about other things aside from a tax disc.

I was delivering to my regular night time drop and noticed that the truck that was on the bay before me was showing no tax or O license or anything. Couple of weeks later when it was there again, still no tax disc. I happened to mention this and the driver told me that the owner had 4 or 5 of these motors and none were showing tax, as they were ‘rented from a company in Ireland’ and apparently, VOSA had been in and they had been given the all clear. That I don’t know, but the trucks are still running around showing no disc, as I was talking to the driver last week…he was telling me about some ‘big thing’ that’s coming up in the Middle East quite soon

Actrosman:
I was delivering to my regular night time drop and noticed that the truck that was on the bay before me was showing no tax or O license or anything. Couple of weeks later when it was there again, still no tax disc. I happened to mention this and the driver told me that the owner had 4 or 5 of these motors and none were showing tax, as they were ‘rented from a company in Ireland’ and apparently, VOSA had been in and they had been given the all clear. That I don’t know, but the trucks are still running around showing no disc, as I was talking to the driver last week…he was telling me about some ‘big thing’ that’s coming up in the Middle East quite soon

whats that gotta do with ur tax disc :unamused:

Mike-C:
NO you will not get prosecuted, the offence is to the operator of the vehicle.

Wrong. Tax disc offences are committed by both driver and operator.

Roymondo:

Mike-C:

He has five working days to get his disc displayed (or rather the vehicles operator does). Thats why i mentioned the date. If it should be displaying Januarys licence he’s fine. If should be displaying a disc starting December then there’s a chance the vehicle can be taken off the road. In this case the person ‘using’ the vehicle is the owner/operator and not the driver. Bizareley.

Mike-C:

Roymondo:

Mike-C:

If should be displaying a disc starting December then there’s a chance the vehicle can be taken off the road. In this case the person ‘using’ the vehicle is the owner/operator and not the driver. Bizareley.

Driver and his employer are both using the vehicle without a current disc (assuming the vehicle is being used for the employer’s business), and both could be prosecuted.

Mike-C:

Roymondo:

Mike-C:

He has five working days to get his disc displayed (or rather the vehicles operator does). Thats why i mentioned the date. If it should be displaying Januarys licence he’s fine. If should be displaying a disc starting December then there’s a chance the vehicle can be taken off the road. In this case the person ‘using’ the vehicle is the owner/operator and not the driver. Bizareley.

Unless things have changed I think you’ll find that you can only go 5 days without displaying a tax disc if the vehicle is taxed on-line and before the old tax expires.

tachograph:
Unless things have changed I think you’ll find that you can only go 5 days without displaying a tax disc if the vehicle is taxed on-line and before the old tax expires.

There is no requirement for it to be done on-line - as long as the renewal application was made before the old disc expired. You can even go five days without displaying a disc if you renewed in person before the old one expired (and therefore already have the new disc in your possession).

I beg to differ, the only way you get any leeway, is if you renew online, before the old disc expires, then you have five working days grace. There are no other circumstances that officially allow grace, including returning from holiday, theft, goldfish died, don’t get paid till the 2nd, etc etc.

Beg all you like - S147 Finance Act 2008 makes no reference at all to the renewal being made online. Provided your application is made (whether online, by post, by phone or over the counter) before the expiry of the old disc (or SORN) than you have five working days (i.e. not including weekends and Bank Holidays) from the expiry of the old disc or SORN during which you will not be guilty of failing to display the new disc.

So if your old disc expired on 31/12/2012 you do not need to display the new disc until Wednesday 9th jan 2013 (provided your renewal was received before 31st December).

The Act says:

“(1B)A person is not guilty of an offence under subsection (1) or (1A) by using or keeping a vehicle on a public road during any of the 5 working days following the time when a licence or nil licence for the vehicle, or a relevant declaration applying to the vehicle, ceases to be in force, if an application for a licence or nil licence for or in respect of the vehicle to run from that time has been received before that time.”

Roymondo:
“(1B)A person is not guilty of an offence under subsection (1) or (1A) by using or keeping a vehicle on a public road during any of the 5 working days following the time when a licence or nil licence for the vehicle, or a relevant declaration applying to the vehicle, ceases to be in force, if an application for a licence or nil licence for or in respect of the vehicle to run from that time has been received before that time.”

That’s what I like about this place, you learn something new every day :wink:

Roymondo:

Mike-C:

Roymondo:

Mike-C:

If should be displaying a disc starting December then there’s a chance the vehicle can be taken off the road. In this case the person ‘using’ the vehicle is the owner/operator and not the driver. Bizareley.

Driver and his employer are both using the vehicle without a current disc (assuming the vehicle is being used for the employer’s business), and both could be prosecuted.

True,well sort of, but seeing as the Police do not prosectute these offences and they report them to DVLA instead i’m pretty certain there hasn’t been a prosecution against a driver where there has against a registered keeper. In general as an employee, you’re pretty much omitted from all the paperwork side of things. Anyway, he’s still got a day or two left yet .Hopefully.