Driving with headphones

Uh, yeah, one ear bud is fine or an ear piece. I was referring to those DJs who “can’t live without muh music even for an hour”. Of course some trucks have crap audio or no BT/usb connectors or poor/no antenna - you can get a wireless speaker of passable quality for £20 and use that instead of headphones.

Personally I used to use a Bluetooth in-ear piece to listen to podcasts but eventually stopped as I found it was engaging my “hearing attention” too much, but that’s just me. How someone can have on-ear headphones (some of them are noise-cancelling, lol - specifically designed to minimize external noises) and not see a problem with that :grimacing: You still need to be able to hear what’s going on with your own vehicle at the very least.

commonrail:
Before I got a truck with Bluetooth,it was the only way I could listen to cricket,once they took tms off longwave

TMS is on long wave. Frequency is 198

You can still drive if you are deaf so how would using headphones be an issue? In fact for a car or motorcycle licence there is no need to advise the DVLA…

goswerve.com/blog/relying-senses-sight-driving/

robroy:

jakethesnake:
I can still hear what is going around me just as if the radio is on loud.

Err… most people can’t hear what is going on around them when the radio is loud!!!

Hmmmm depends HOW loud, or how you interpret loud.

My lad listens to his sound system with the volume just under the pain barrier, where as I have it loud enough to hear, but quiet enough to hear maybe a car horn…
So ‘‘most people’’ have different interpretations of loud, so please stop your usual sweeping statements and generalisations .

Well, call me pedantic but I would have thought LOUD means err Loud where as low volume would be required to hear what is going on around you when driving!

Most peoples interpretation of loud is loud is it not? :open_mouth:

healthyhearing.com/report/5 … aring-loss

jakethesnake:
Careful driving requires engagement of visual and auditory senses to make informed often, very quick decisions to navigate safely. Hearing loss can greatly impair an individual’s ability to hear important safety cues such as a horn honking, a siren, or another vehicle accelerating nearby.

Anyone who thinks or does otherwise is no professional.

You, are talking absolutely nonsense, a deaf driver, can assess a situation just as well as a full hearing person… it’s all about visual awareness… You need to lose the perception, that truck driving is a skilled/professional job. It’s just a higher licence And a bigger version of a car and one that bends.

It’s when people not looking or forward planning that cause accidents.

I think there’s a big difference between someone who is deaf and someone wearing headphones.
The deaf persons other senses will be heightened and they will have spent their whole lives adapting to it and being much more observant than most.
Someone wearing full size over ear headphones while driving, as you do see people doing, is just a muppet

discoman:

jakethesnake:
Careful driving requires engagement of visual and auditory senses to make informed often, very quick decisions to navigate safely. Hearing loss can greatly impair an individual’s ability to hear important safety cues such as a horn honking, a siren, or another vehicle accelerating nearby.

You, are talking absolutely nonsense, a deaf driver, can assess a situation just as well as a full hearing person… it’s all about visual awareness… You need to lose the perception, that truck driving is a skilled/professional job. It’s just a higher licence And a bigger version of a car and one that bends.

In my view, audible feedback is an important sense that the driver has - not just the truck driver, but any driver or person on the road. I no more wear headphones at the wheel than I do when walking the street. Yes, it can mostly be compensated for by extra concentration and visual observation, but it’s harder work and less reliable - just like lipreading is hardly any substitute for hearing.

As for driving not being a skilled job, what is a skilled job in your view? It’s no less involved overall than plumbing or carpentry, say, which are generally considered to be skilled.

if its legal and your happy to drive along looking like a complete fanny then its nobodys business but your own.

on a personal note,then driving along watching hd blueray lesbian ■■■■ whilst wearing headphones is great,but open a can of tuna and leave it on the heater vent on the dashboard,and voila!!! its just like being in the same bed as them… :slight_smile:

discoman:

jakethesnake:

Really, and you are an expert are you? I am not talking nonsense by the way. Hearing is the second most important sense after sight when it comes to driving.
My perception of driving LGV’s is that they can be extremely dangerous in the hands of a driver that is not responsible and takes no interest in the safety of others on the road. Any driver whether it be a car, motorcycle or a bus has a responsibility to thereself and others to drive correctly and safely.
Unfortunately many don’t. I have said it before and I will say it again the LGV license is far too easy to obtain.

Jimmy McNulty:

commonrail:
Before I got a truck with Bluetooth,it was the only way I could listen to cricket,once they took tms off longwave

TMS is on long wave. Frequency is 198

Thought they took it off.

Oh well,got a modern lorry now…anyway.

Rjan:

discoman:

jakethesnake:

In my view, audible feedback is an important sense that the driver has - not just the truck driver, but any driver or person on the road. I no more wear headphones at the wheel than I do when walking the street. Yes, it can mostly be compensated for by extra concentration and visual observation, but it’s harder work and less reliable - just like lipreading is hardly any substitute for hearing.

As for driving not being a skilled job, what is a skilled job in your view? It’s no less involved overall than plumbing or carpentry, say, which are generally considered to be skilled.

Totally agree with you first view. Not quite so sure about the second though! It’s a different kind of involvement and dare I say it not so skilled.

jakethesnake:

robroy:

jakethesnake:

Err… most people can’t hear what is going on around them when the radio is loud!!!

My lad listens to his sound system with the volume just under the pain barrier, where as I have it loud enough to hear, but quiet enough to hear maybe a car horn…
So ‘‘most people’’ have different interpretations of loud, so please stop your usual sweeping statements and generalisations .

Well, call me pedantic but I would have thought LOUD means err Loud where as low volume would be required to hear what is going on around you when driving!

Wow Jake, you really do have to have the last word so you can smugly walk away thinking you’re (as always) right.

Ok, I will …You’re pedantic.
If I go into my daughter’s room and she’s listening to Beyonce at full pelt, from now on I’ll say…
''Unless I’m mistaken that is turned up to three quarter maximum volume, just give me 5 mins and I’ll calculate the decibel rate.

Then when I go and see AC/DC live, I’ll ask Brian what his power levels are set at so I can compare the 2 after calculation, but knowing there will be a vast difference between the gig venue and my daughters room.

Or I could just say they are both ■■■■. loud. :bulb: :neutral_face:

Now that IS pedantic, but at least it shoots you down in flames…again. :sunglasses:
:smiley:

(Btw…Love the way YOU actually ask someone…‘‘So you’re an expert are you’’ :open_mouth:
The irony is off the scale on that one. :laughing: :laughing: )

robroy:

jakethesnake:

robroy:

jakethesnake:

Wow Jake, you really do have to have the last word so you can smugly walk away thinking you’re (as always) right.

Ok, I will …You’re pedantic.
If I go into my daughter’s room and she’s listening to Beyonce at full pelt, from now on I’ll say…
''Unless I’m mistaken that is turned up to three quarter maximum volume, just give me 5 mins and I’ll calculate the decibel rate.

Then when I go and see AC/DC live, I’ll ask Brian what his power levels are set at so I can compare the 2 after calculation, but knowing there will be a vast difference between the gig venue and my daughters room.

Or I could just say they are both [zb]. loud. :bulb: :neutral_face:

Now that IS pedantic, but at least it shoots you down in flames…again. :sunglasses:
:smiley:

(Btw…Love the way YOU actually ask someone…‘‘So you’re an expert are you’’ :open_mouth:
The irony is off the scale on that one. :laughing: :laughing: )

OK so we have different interpretations of loud, I thought loud was loud but whatever you say. :unamused:

As for walking away smugly thinking I am always right is in your head because it ain’t true and I ain’t no expert either but I realise do how important hearing can be when driving(as a few others on here do) as I do with a lot of other things some think are not important because it does not suit them.

It is a well known fact hearing is an important sense when driving and it ain’t me that has made it up. It’s just a pity some would not take more heed of what makes a safer driver instead of believing they know better.

Can we just agree that hitting something in a truck (not that I would know from experience :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: ) is more often heard rather than felt. You don’t want to be this guy, do you?

It’s not only about listening for noises from other vehicles, but ones coming from the back for example- what if part of your load has come loose and is banging around in the trailer or there’s a funny sound coming from one of the wheels, or a warning beep from the dashboard etc.

Should be illegal :exclamation:
As should be talking on the phone with or without a hands free kit :exclamation:

People die or suffer life altering injuries every single day, just for the sake of some BS phone call that could easily wait :exclamation:

containers_only:
As should be talking on the phone with or without a hands free kit :exclamation:

People die or suffer life altering injuries every single day, just for the sake of some BS phone call that could easily wait :exclamation:

I agree let’s make everything illegal whilst driving, think of the murderous carnage while listening to Popmaster on R2, the perils of eating a banana, the mayhem when rolling a bogey, and the ultimate irresponsible unnforgivable act of scratching your arse. :open_mouth:
Disgraceful, ban it all, I’m off to ring my MP and start a petition.

robroy:

containers_only:

I agree let’s make everything illegal whilst driving, think of the murderous carnage while listening to Popmaster on R2, the perils of eating a banana, the mayhem when rolling a bogey, and the ultimate irresponsible unnforgivable act of scratching your arse. :open_mouth:
Disgraceful, ban it all, I’m off to ring my MP and start a petition.

The problem we have robroy is that there are very few unlike yourself who can drive whilst listening with headphones or carry out a detailed conversation on a phone without losing concentration so we need to stop everyone doing so.

Let’s face it lots of drivers struggle to maintain concentration without the distraction of headphones or a telephone call.

Eventually drivers will have no control and the roads will be a lot safer. :wink:

Ok, so let’s up the criteria of calibre for qualification for a HGV driver, one who can comfortably multi task without drama, …instead of the usual UK policy of chucking out the baby with the bath water.
I’m getting mighty ■■■■■■ off of having to suffer because of inept retards who have managed to blag a licence, and of being associated with them when they ■■■■ up in the ways they do. :imp: