Driving with Amber warning lights?

Illegal or not ? Get fined or not ? Bloke at our place is adamant it’s illegal and I’ll get fined but I think it’s illegal on a red light ?

Smoggie89:
Illegal or not ? Get fined or not ? Bloke at our place is adamant it’s illegal and I’ll get fined but I think it’s illegal on a red light ?

Entirely depends what the exact fault is.

Own Account Driver:

Smoggie89:

Entirely depends what the exact fault is.

Mine is brake pad wear on a Scania because there is a 10% difference on the lift axle both above 40% left

Most common I come across is the abs on orange still take it been told its the unit not compatible with the trailer don’t know for sure though.

Crack on, not breaking any laws. Just wants monitoring as if it’s a bind that gets worse eventually the friction can cause enough heat to cause serious problems even a fire - could be all sorts of other reasons though the wear sensor may not have been fully seated to start with or something like that.

Used to get an almost permanent amber light for the ABS - electrical fault - reported but fault took months to find - safe + legal to drive

scally2:
Most common I come across is the abs on orange still take it been told its the unit not compatible with the trailer don’t know for sure though.

Rare now, generally will be an issue with it. In most cases you will have no ABS on the trailer when the light is on so take this into account with heavy braking with an empty trailer in the wet etc.

Can be hard to eliminate though as they can sometimes come on after a few hours driving and in the workshop all you can realistically do is try and diagnose any faults, clean the exciter rings, check the sensor gap, check the wheel bearings then test drive and if the light goes out and doesn’t come back on for the test drive there’s not much more you can do.

If you get a pull by VOSA turn the ignition off before he can get a look at the dash as although amber it is a sanctionable fault in their eyes and theoretically you should not be driving unless the fault has just occurred whilst driving that day.

If it’s not going off immediately over around 10km/h or is coming on again with certainty each trip it needs sorting really in my view.

It’s just a bloke at our place going from 1 extreme to another trying to get everyone to join the union spouting off aload of ■■■■■■■■, saying we can’t do a 15 before starting 4am even though we opted out of the agreement

I understand the correct procedure for stuff like yellow ABS lights now is to note it on your check sheet and contact your transport office manager to inform then so that they can record it and then await a decision from them. If they say OK to go then you write down their name and time on your check sheet so that if you get stopped by VOSA your arse is covered as you’ve already reported it and TM said OK to carry on. One of the drivers at the place I’m at had this exact scenario but like most of us do, just ignored it and carried on :laughing: . VOSA pulled him into a checkpoint and ignoring it and carrying on does not wash with them. They apparently stated that the above is what you must do now, then you as driver have covered your arse against any fines etc.

Is there anyone with actual proof what is to be do e ? Bigjase care to comment

Smoggie89:

Big Jase is some thick HA muppet so don’t know why you want him for. He’s nothing to do with VOSA. There’s a member called geebee something who’s on for VOSA, send him a PM if you want it from the horse’s mouth.

Left hand down!:

Smoggie89:

Big Jase is some thick HA muppet so don’t know why you want him for. He’s nothing to do with VOSA. There’s a member called geebee something who’s on for VOSA, send him a PM if you want it from the horse’s mouth.

Lol cheers mate I thought jase was on for vosa

It’s an offence to leave the yard with an amber ABS warning showing (or something along those lines)…that was from a VOSA officer when I asked the same question…I did have a screen shot on my phone as some of ours are disbelieving ■■■■■■■ but I can’t seem to fnd it!

Smoggie89:
It’s just a bloke at our place going from 1 extreme to another trying to get everyone to join the union spouting off aload of ■■■■■■■■, saying we can’t do a 15 before starting 4am even though we opted out of the agreement

You cannot opt out of the 10 hour limit for night drivers. You can only opt to extend it to 12 hours by a “workforce agreement”. However, even with the 10 hour limit in place, you could still end up with a 15 hour shift as rest and poa are not counted. 10 hours limit is the total of driving and other work…

shirts:

Smoggie89:

You cannot opt out of the 10 hour limit for night drivers. You can only opt to extend it to 12 hours by a “workforce agreement”. However, even with the 10 hour limit in place, you could still end up with a 15 hour shift as rest and poa are not counted. 10 hours limit is the total of driving and other work…

Ah I got ya spot on cheers mate

shirts:

Smoggie89:

That’s not correct.

You can opt out of the night time working limit, with an opt out agreement in place you can do exactly the same hours as on days, ie, 13/15 hour working time less breaks.

tachograph:

shirts:

Smoggie89:

That’s not correct.

You can opt out of the night time working limit, with an opt out agreement in place you can do exactly the same hours as on days, ie, 13/15 hour working time less breaks.

Apologies, you may well be correct. It used to be the case that with an agreement in place, it could only be extended to 12 hours. However, having searched for the last 20 minutes, on all the web sites I’ve read, it just says that it can be extended with no mention of the 12 hours…When did that change ?

shirts:
Apologies, you may well be correct. It used to be the case that with an agreement in place, it could only be extended to 12 hours. However, having searched for the last 20 minutes, on all the web sites I’ve read, it just says that it can be extended with no mention of the 12 hours…When did that change ?

It hasn’t changed, we’ve been able to completely opt out of the nights working time limit ever since the RT(WT) regulations came into force, some companies have it written into the opt out agreement that night workers can work for 12 or whatever hours but that’s a company rule.

Got it…Thanks :astonished:

So if salaried…DON’T OPT OUT :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Actrosman:
It’s an offence to leave the yard with an amber ABS warning showing (or something along those lines)…that was from a VOSA officer when I asked the same question…I did have a screen shot on my phone as some of ours are disbelieving [zb] but I can’t seem to fnd it!

Yes, and also braking defects are potentially endorsable as well, on top, but the police rather than just VOSA would need to be involved and feeling particularly awkward.