Driving turning the brain to mush

Does anyone find that after a long day driving their brain has turned to mush? Are there any techniques you use to keep the brain active? Apparantly doing simple sums as fast as you can is one of the best brain exercises.

Has anyone older noticed that their brain has lost it’s sharpness from just sitting there looking through the window for 10 hours a day?

JeffA:
… Has anyone older noticed that their brain has lost it’s sharpness from just sitting there looking through the window for 10 hours a day?

I have, yes! I came to driving quite late - I was 32 when I passed my test and I’ve been doing it for 13 years now. Before starting this job I was a computer programmer in the games industry and had a pretty logical/analytical mind. I have certainly noticed my brain deteriorating over the last decade - my short-term memory in particular! Of course it could be that we’re all getting older, and perhaps it’s a natural part of the aging process?! But somehow I don’t think it is. I am still in contact with people I worked with in the computer industry (who are still doing it) and their brains seem as sharp as ever. :cry:

Listen to radio 4, classical music and read the guardian. From what i have heard the braincell enjoys such musings what what

The short term memory loss is a direct result of sleep depravation. If you’re doing a 15hr duty then the 9hrs you have off doesn’t really give you time to do your personal admin, have something to eat, wind down and get 8hrs sleep.

And how many lorry drivers find it hard to get to sleep because their body clocks are all over the shop due to starting at all times of the day or night?

I think that satnavs are weakening my brain. In the past i would remember for ages, routes which I had done two or three times. But now, brain is just on standby. Wasn’t there a report saying that black cab drivers had enlarged spatial awareness brain regions?

Hippocampus, yes.

sing to yourself,works for me

compus mentus, hippo campus ah zb it i forget

Have a jigsaw on the floor beside you while driving that should solve it.

JeffA might I pass on what I was told by another driver many years ago…your windscreen is your window on the world,enjoy…and the view through
that window today continues to amuse,entertain and on occasions baffle,perhaps you should look around more and if you get bored switch it off…
shut your eyes.

Your just knackered, you may not realise it but your brain is working overtime constantly scanning the road and making decisions, it will naturally be on high alert ready for an incident.
This would not be an issue normally but when driving long distances and especially if you are under pressure it subconsciously knackers you out.

Right…beer time (therapy) :wink:

instantKarma:
Listen to radio 4…

+1

Conor:
The short term memory loss is a direct result of sleep depravation. If you’re doing a 15hr duty then the 9hrs you have off doesn’t really give you time to do your personal admin, have something to eat, wind down and get 8hrs sleep.

And how many lorry drivers find it hard to get to sleep because their body clocks are all over the shop due to starting at all times of the day or night?

Tell this to the dip zb’s in our office who want a 15 out of you day in day out…

Use it or lose it. Get a puzzle book and spend some of the time we waste in tesco doing it. I try to do one or two puzzles a day.

I just think about how intelligent I am and it keeps the senility at arms length!

I listen to a lot of podcasts, particularly about science and politics. Plus lots of comedy podcasts.

And yeah, turn your sat nav off. I use it to get to a new place once, sometimes twice if it’s a bit trickier. Then I do it from memory.

So more you use a Brain so more active and waked up it is.
If you start counting to 100 every then and when you may fall asleep.
Beter do crosswords

Quackers:
Hippocampus, yes.

I thought that was a Gay African Water Sport Loving Animal ?

garbage in garbage out may be you need to rest more time for yourself re charge

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

You could always use the time meditating. Apparently Buddha sat on his derriere for years without his mind turning to jelly.