Driving tuition rigid to artic

Mate of mine wants to move on from driving a rigid to and Adtic.

Unfortunately I only know one driving instructor and my mate has tried his services only to find a ‘character clash’ and ultimately 3 test failures :open_mouth: (I reckon he’s just useless and is blaming the instructor to cover up his shame)

Can anyone recommend a driving instructor in the OLDHAM area? This lad just wants to do 2 or 3 days intensive training then his test. he usually ■■■■■ the reversing up because he drives a rigid all week then gets in a unit and trailer for his test and tunrs the wheel the wrong way :wink:

Cheers
Pete

I would have asked the examiner for suggestions, he must know who the best trainers are in that area.

Use the boards:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44667

brados:
Use the boards:

You don’t want to pay much attention to what Rog thinks, hes recommended the company I did my class 1 with, they were terrible outfit, cowboys, not ADI approved. I don’t know if Rog gets paid to ‘advertise’ these companies, but something isn’t right.

My advise when looking for a training company is always ask if they are ADI approved, if not hang up & move on till you find one that is, then ask what grade the are, used to be 1 to 6, 1 the lowest, 6 the highest. Most Instructors are between 1 & 4, examiners are 4 & above. Then ask what their pass rate is, a professional ADI instructor shouldn’t have a problem answering these questions, a cowboy will.

Hi mate I cant help with Oldham But if your Mate dont mind traveling Give Paul a ring at Hindley Green HGV
he is on here and also on U tube … I failed My C once And my CE twice with A bad trainer then i changed to Paul he put me Right On Track and was £37.00 per Hr A lot less than the previous Bad Trainer :smiley: That Clash of personalities does put you on a Bad start you know :frowning:

bluenose:

brados:
Use the boards:

You don’t want to pay much attention to what Rog thinks, hes recommended the company I did my class 1 with, they were terrible outfit, cowboys, not ADI approved. I don’t know if Rog gets paid to ‘advertise’ these companies, but something isn’t right.

My advise when looking for a training company is always ask if they are ADI approved, if not hang up & move on till you find one that is, then ask what grade the are, used to be 1 to 6, 1 the lowest, 6 the highest. Most Instructors are between 1 & 4, examiners are 4 & above. Then ask what their pass rate is, a professional ADI instructor shouldn’t have a problem answering these questions, a cowboy will.

I did not recommend any of those schools in that list

That list was compiled by me from what others members had recommended during what now would be the last 5 years

A lot can change in 5 years!!

YAMBOL57:
Hi mate I cant help with Oldham But if your Mate dont mind traveling Give Paul a ring at Hindley Green HGV
he is on here and also on U tube … I failed My C once And my CE twice with A bad trainer then i changed to Paul he put me Right On Track and was £37.00 per Hr A lot less than the previous Bad Trainer :smiley: That Clash of personalities does put you on a Bad start you know :frowning:

Can’t beat a recommendation - I’ll pass the details on.

Cheers

I went with the Leeds outfit of this firm

trucktraininguk.com/

No messing. Cheap and I passed C & CE first time with them

I’m sorry but this is absolutely wrong! For trucks there is no such thing as “ADI approved”. That applies only to cars. There is a voluntary register for LGV instructors operated by DSA. To be on the register, and qualified, you have to pass 3 tests. The other registration that may be worth looking for is DSA Accredited Training Centre. There are a handfull in the country and, amongst other things, they have to employ DSA reg instructors and have all the correct facilities.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Not quite Oldham but not too far away is Enterprise in Manchester elgv.com , did my C and CE with them and they did intensive for my cat C over 3 days. Great laid back instructors and made the learning as easy as possible.

Cheers guys. I’ll pass on the info to Bob.

Poor guy has failed his CE three times now but I’m sure it won’t take much to get him through his test.

His best bet may be to arrange 2 or 3 assessments and find out where he feels most comfortable. That’s part of the battle of passing the test.

Many trainers will offer this FOC.

Could also try both artic and w+d.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

shep532:
Cheers guys. I’ll pass on the info to Bob.

Poor guy has failed his CE three times now but I’m sure it won’t take much to get him through his test.

He could go out of area & try Peter ( accommodation is available I understand) what has he got to lose :question:

Peter Smythe:
I’m sorry but this is absolutely wrong! For trucks there is no such thing as “ADI approved”. That applies only to cars. There is a voluntary register for LGV instructors operated by DSA. To be on the register, and qualified, you have to pass 3 tests.

Not quite right either Peter. For a start “ADI approved” is a contradiction in terms as it means “Approved Driving Instructor approved.” I think what Bluenose means is DSA registered. (Driving Standards Agency) Its correct that it is voluntary for an LGV instructor to take the 3 exams and join the register. If you’re on the register, which is operated by the DSA, hence you are DSA approved.
Some non registered instructors are better at their job and more experienced than some approved ones.

Its exactly the same process to become a car Driving Instructor, just different exam content.

bluenose:

That’s mostly bullocks. Most instructors are 4 - 5 with quite a few sixes out there.
All instructors on the register must undergo periodic check testing. You are correct in that the scores are 1 - 6. Anyone getting a grade of 1 - 3 is advised to get remedial training immediately and will quickly be invited back for a further test. If the grade does not improve after a further check test, they may be removed from the register in due course.

Examiners are NOT Grade 4 or above. They are not graded at all. Why would they be? They are examiners not instructors and so not on the DSA instructors register. Some examiners however are ex. instructors in which case they must relinquish their ADI registration.

How do I know this? I have previously taught HGV (many years ago) and have been a DSA ADI (cars) for 24 years.

Not going to get involved in playing with words, but my original statement that there is no such thing as ADI for trucks stands. ADI registration applies to cars. This is a truck forum and, as such, the ADI system is irrelevant.

Truck instructors are not check tested - sadly, and neither are they graded in the same way as car instructors.

In short, the whole thing is a total mess and LGV instructor registration should be made compulsory without further delay.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
In short, the whole thing is a total mess and LGV instructor registration should be made compulsory without further delay.

Well we agree on that anyway. :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: