Driving to Venice in the car

…which way would you recommend? Fewer tolls the better. I’ve a rough idea but would be interested in other opinions.

Also, if i traversed Austria would i need a vignette?

Many thanks in advance.

the fewest tolls would be belgium, lux, germany then austria but no idea on tax for a car in austria sorry

Im going this week…Lux ,france,Switzerland ,and via Como, Verona etc…Not bothered about tolls much. Just bought Swiss tax in advance £26.00

welshboyinspain:
the fewest tolls would be belgium, lux, germany then austria but no idea on tax for a car in austria sorry

The route i would take is Calais-Dunkerque-Lille-Mons-Namur-Lux-Saarlouis-Pirmasens-Landau-Karlsruhe-Munich-Innsbruck-Brenner Pass-Verona-Venice.

7.90euro for Vignette in Austria Last 10 days

Tolls to venice and back are approx 62euro for a car without trailer

viamichelin.co.uk/web/Routes helps cost the route

If travelling by car I really can’t see the point of going the longer way via Brenner. Much better to go through Switzerland in my opinion.

GBPub:
If travelling by car I really can’t see the point of going the longer way via Brenner. Much better to go through Switzerland in my opinion.

Thats the way i’m going in August partly because i would have to buy the Austrian tax twice and if you google it it is the shortest way by 80km

Thanks for the replies gents, Glens suggested route is more or less what i thought.

If the vignette for Austria is only 7.90euro & Swiss is £26, economics dictates i go via Austria.

Thanks for the link, due to a tech error its having a few probs at the mo but i’ll definitely have a look.

Betty Swallox:
If the vignette for Austria is only 7.90euro & Swiss is £26, economics dictates i go via Austria.

Don’t forget the Austrian vignette is valid only for 10 days, therefore if you are there longer you will need to buy it twice, also it will cost you €8 each time to cross the Brenner, factor in the extra fuel due to it being the longer route, then it will actually be the more expensive option.

Betty,would it be cheaper to fly on the parafin parrot,of Brian air or Sleasy jet.

The Swiss tax lasts a year!

Sod the car, go by train.

orient-express.com/web/vsoe/ … 135988.jsp

But seriously if you do go Brussels, Lux and Swiss in the car you can avoid all the road tolls in France, get some cheap ■■■■ and have a nice ride round Lake Geneva.

take the N57 to Vallorbe

Wheel Nut:
Sod the car, go by train.

orient-express.com/web/vsoe/ … 135988.jsp

But seriously if you do go Brussels, Lux and Swiss in the car you can avoid all the road tolls in France, get some cheap ■■■■ and have a nice ride round Lake Geneva.

take the N57 to Vallorbe

Nice run down that way, i once tried to avoid Bescancon and ended up going over a mountain and thru some tight little villages in the snow that i really shouldnt have been going thru!