Driving to Tours, France

I have a friend who is driving to Tours tomorrow, who has asked me for advice. Just as well because she didn’t know about the warning triangle/ hi viz vest etc. We are going to sort that out today.

As for the route, I imagine the easiest way would be via Rouen and Le Mans, she has already said she wants to avoid Paris, but I think sending her via “Roundabout City”, Evreux, Dreux etc will be a false economy.

Now I’ve driven past Tours loads of times but never taken a great deal of notice of the signs I encountered on the way. But am I correct in saying that Rouen is signposted all the way from Calais, the next sign she needs to look for is Le Mans, and then Tours will be signposted from there?

Also, any other general advice about doing this trip by car will be welcome.

That looks to be the best route for a car, Harry.

The only possible problem could be transiting Rouen because, as you know, you have to go right through the city as there is no motorway ring.

If only they would invent a little box to stick on your windscreen that talked to you to tell you which way to go…

The story about car drivers from Britain having to produce their last 28 supermarket receipts if stopped by the Gendarmerie can safely be discounted as an Urban Myth :wink:

Yea, I’ve explained about Rouen, and that you lose direction signs as you pass through the industrial zone. She’s got SatNav and I’m sure she’ll be ok, I just can’t remember where you start to pick up signs for Le Mans and I think it will help to write down the names on the signs that she needs to look for.

I’m usually heading in the other direction when I pass Rouen, so I don’t know how well the route is signposted southbound.

I would imagine that “A28 Le Mans” will be signed coming into Rouen but, then again, this is France so anything is possible.

If there are no signs for Le Mans, then tell her to follow the signs (which surely must exist :unamused: ) for “A13 Caen” which will lead her to the A28.

Assuming after the cheap way-

ROUEN (signed from Calais).
ALENCON (signed from Rouen)
LE - MANS (signed from Rouen and Alencon)
TOURS (signed from Le-Mans).

Just tell here to go Autoroute to Rouen and then follow above in the green signs. If she follows the above in blue signs she has less beer vouchers to spend.

I just saw this one,so a bit late for Harry’s friend,but for you drivers.
Entering Rouen take ZI Portuaire also A13 Caen,at the 1st traffic lights you must slip down
by the Seine,when you come back onto the dock road, at the next lights by silo’s
hang a left.This takes you up a rubbish little road to a roundabout signed Caen.
Even if going to Evreux I would go this way,as it misses all the lights thro’
St Etienne de Rouvray which I assume Harry was refering to.
BTW Harry your friend could (did?) take this route,as the 1st lights are only a
restriction for HGV’s.She would have hung a left at the 2nd lights & over the 1st
roundabout,then the 2nd is (from my route)the route to Caen.

DaveL:
Entering Rouen take ZI Portuaire also A13 Caen,at the 1st traffic lights you must slip down
by the Seine,when you come back onto the dock road, at the next lights by silo’s
hang a left.This takes you up a rubbish little road to a roundabout signed Caen.

isn’t there a weight limit on that road that runs along side the river now?
it says that when you cross the river before turning right for caen and centre routier?

welshboyinspain:

DaveL:

isn’t there a weight limit on that road that runs along side the river now?
it says that when you cross the river before turning right for caen and centre routier?

I haven’t driven a truck for 4 years now,so I’m not sure.
But that’s the route for Zone Portuaire so I doubt it.
As an expat, you will know drivers get treated better over here than in that once great britain.
My excuses to Harry for the lack of capitals,but I’m sure he will understand. :smiley:

there’s a new bridge now into the zone portuaire, continue on the motorway towards le havre and drop down into rouen on the western side and you cross the river straight into the zone and then take the new dual carriageway up to the caen and le mans junction where the 2 motorways meet. sorry for not putting motorway numbers but my memory is dreadful this morning :smiley:

She arrived safe and sound, ta. Here’s a true story.

On Sunday, she brought her car over so I could change a bulb and check it over. She said “There’s no need to check the oil, it doesn’t use any”. I said “I’ll check it anyway”.

I pulled the dipstick out and she said “What’s that?” I said “it’s the dipstick”. So she said “Oh. What’s that over there then?” I said “That’s the transmission fluid dipstick”. She said “Oh, that’s what I’ve been checking”. I said “That’ll be why it doesn’t use any then!”

Checked the dipstick, dry as a nun’s chuff. Tschohhh, women, eh! :wink:

DaveL:
As an expat, you will know drivers get treated better over here than in that once great britain.

I must correct you here, it is still Great Britain and it will always be Great Britain for the simple reason that it is the greatest, i.e. the largest landmass in the British Isles.

I’ll get me coat! :wink:

Harry Monk:
She arrived safe and sound, ta. Here’s a true story.

On Sunday, she brought her car over so I could change a bulb and check it over. She said “There’s no need to check the oil, it doesn’t use any”. I said “I’ll check it anyway”.

I pulled the dipstick out and she said “What’s that?” I said “it’s the dipstick”. So she said “Oh. What’s that over there then?” I said “That’s the transmission fluid dipstick”. She said “Oh, that’s what I’ve been checking”. I said “That’ll be why it doesn’t use any then!”

Checked the dipstick, dry as a nun’s chuff. Tschohhh, women, eh! :wink:

Tell me she tops up with water every week please (washer bottel ) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

welshboyinspain:
there’s a new bridge now into the zone portuaire, continue on the motorway towards le havre and drop down into rouen on the western side and you cross the river straight into the zone and then take the new dual carriageway up to the caen and le mans junction where the 2 motorways meet. sorry for not putting motorway numbers but my memory is dreadful this morning :smiley:

You’re quite right about the bridge as I took stuff from one side to the other when it was being built.
I had forgotten it was open.But as I said it’s been over 4 years since I’ve been there. :imp:

Harry Monk,your bete noire is the lack of capitals in place names.
Mine is THERE THEIR & THEY’RE.
I only wrote Great Britain(in lower case) to wind you up.Hence the :smiley: