Driving to dubrovnik

Hi Trucknetters i am going over to dubrovnik next week and was wondering if anyone could tell me if i need a permit to enter or drive there many thanks

Hi Nick. Cant answer your question regarding permits etc but would be very interested in the route you plan to take. I lived in that area for a while a few years ago and plan to re-visit it one day, by car though not in a truck.

I’m guessing you will go Germany - Austria - through the tunnel that I have forgotten the name of now into Slovenia and then into Croatia. From there down to Zagreb and take the new(ish to me!) motorway south down to Split and carry on south along the Dalmatian Riviera down to Dubrovnik.

That route is just off the top of my head as its been quite a few years since I was last over there. The drive from Split down to Dubrovnik is beautiful. Fantastic scenery with the mountains on your left and the Adriatic on your right. Some of the smaller towns and villages along the way are well worth stopping for a break.

Its still ■■■■ hot down there as well at this time of year, 33 - 34 degrees C where I used to be and showing 30C for Dubrovnik today!! :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Another option is to get the ferry from Ancona across to Split but I would imagine that would be quite an expensive route to take with a truck.

Good luck with your trip, shoot some pics if you can and post em up here, anything different or off the beaten track is always welcome on these forums.

Cheers, bullitt. :wink:

No permits needed, just all done on a T1. Make sure you’ve got your green card they sometimes check. Make sure you’ve got some cash on you to pay for “parking” at the border and inland clearance. At the border they will take euros, inland won’t but plenty of cashpoints and the bureau de change never seem to close. Services will take euros.

What border are you planning on using?.

The tunnel that borders Austria with Slovenia is the Karawanken Tunnel. I used to go that way down to Split when I worked for Mark Young. Then used Rupa border from Slovenia into Croatia. No motorway down to Split then though, Coast road all the way from Rijyeka to Split, lovely scenery but take care if it rains as roads become VERY slippery.

I always used to go Graz-Maribor-can’t remember what the border into HR but it was always quite quick.

found out who your second driver is on dubrovnik yet mate? i heard that mike fella is awesome,
seriously though dont take me, im laid up at home at the moment with flu. should be back thursday,