Started driving @ 0510 for 1 hr 58 and had 15 mins o/w
End Shift 1930
total driving 9 hrs 58

Wed
Start Shift 0430
Started driving @ 0440 for 2hr 03 and then 15 minutes rest
End Shift 1730
Total Driving 8 hrs 32

Have I commited an offence? if so,What is the offence ?
Where is the relevant paragraph in the Drivers’ Hours and Tachograph Rules for Goods Vehicles in the UK and Europe 2009

Cheers :slight_smile:

Greg

p.s. Yes I have had my ard read by VOSA this week … :smiling_imp: :unamused:

I don’t see any problem with that on the information given.

I’m assuming that the Monday was the first shift after a weekly rest.

Two reduced rests and two 10 hour drives so far. Still got another reduced rest that can be taken before the next weekly rest.

grumpybum:
I’m assuming that the Monday was the first shift after a weekly rest.

Yes FULL weekly rest taken, Monday was first Shift

Are you working to EU regulations or domestic regulations ?

If it’s EU regulations I can’t see any problems.

tachograph:

EU Regulations

Hint: Driving in a 24 Hour Period from the end of one daily rest period and the begining of the following daily rest period ■■?

McPloppy ©:

tachograph:

EU Regulations

Hint: Driving in a 24 Hour Period from the end of one daily rest period and the begining of the following daily rest period ■■?

For EU regulations “daily driving time” is the accumulated driving time from the end of one daily rest period and the start of another daily or weekly rest period.

The 24 hours from end of the daily rest period doesn’t come into it for driving time, that’s why I asked if you were on EU regulations or domestic.

Article 4 (k) 561/2006
:
(k) ‘daily driving time’ means the total accumulated driving
time between the end of one daily rest period and the
beginning of the following daily rest period or between a
daily rest period and a weekly rest period;

Article 6

1. The daily driving time shall not exceed nine hours.
    However, the daily driving time may be extended to at most
    10 hours not more than twice during the week.

I see that you’ve added some bits to your original post, but still don’t see a problem.

If you’re saying that you started driving again within the 24hr period of your first shift, as far as I know, that is not illegal. You have to get your daily rest in within the 24hrs but your driving allowances start from the beginning of your next shift.

If you have a specific worry, spit it out - if you want an answer, don’t ask us to guess! :smiley:

tachograph:

McPloppy ©:

tachograph:

EU Regulations

For EU regulations “daily driving time” is the accumulated driving time from the end of one daily rest period and the start of another daily or weekly rest period.

The 24 hours from end of the daily rest period doesn’t come into it for driving time, that’s why I asked if you were on EU regulations or domestic.

Article 4 (k) 561/2006
:
(k) ‘daily driving time’ means the total accumulated driving
time between the end of one daily rest period and the
beginning of the following daily rest period or between a
daily rest period and a weekly rest period;

OK - I didnt beleive I had done anything wrong, but, Ms VOSA analysed my card and said I had a couple of problems … exceeding driving time in a 24 hour period by 16 or 17 minutes , but did not issue a letter

I asked how? , can you explain? MsVOSA’s reply was that I had probably started too early :-@ I looked puzzled and asked again … same answer, Ms VOSA Couldn’t explain anymore

ANY BODY WATCHING THIS THREAD DO NOT START IT OFF INTO A SLAGGING MATCH OF VOSA - I NEED THE INFORMATION

I phoned my boss and told him I had been pulled by VOSA lorry and everything was fine apart from the above. He was gobsmacked as I DON’T do infringements

BASICALLY I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT FOR MY OWN PIECE OF MIND !!!

Ok, I can see why you were questioning the driving time in 24hrs then, but I still say that there is no problem that I can see with the timings you gave.

I don’t understand how she could explain it like that, as if you had started too early, surely it would be insufficient rest?

McPloppy ©:
OK - I didnt beleive I had done anything wrong, but, Ms VOSA analysed my card and said I had a couple of problems … exceeding driving time in a 24 hour period by 16 or 17 minutes , but did not issue a letter

I asked how? , can you explain? MsVOSA’s reply was that I had probably started too early :-@ I looked puzzled and asked again … same answer, Ms VOSA Couldn’t explain anymore

I can’t explain why a VOSA bloke would say that, I can only assume that the software used to analyse your card was set for domestic rules (if that’s possible) in which case he would have been correct.

The VOSA bod didn’t try to penalise you so there’s nothing lost I guess but the fact that he couldn’t explain does make you wonder if maybe he had doubts to.

You’ve certainly nothing to worry about and if your company have the card analysed I’ll bet money that you won’t get an infringement :wink:

grumpybum:
I don’t understand how she could explain it like that, as if you had started too early, surely it would be insufficient rest?

I agree, if McPloppy © had started to early it would be insufficient daily rest not to much “daily driving time”, though I suppose it could be both :laughing:

Thanks Tachograph

Why would VOSA analyse my card in Domestic Setup ■■?

McPloppy ©:
Thanks Tachograph

Why would VOSA analyse my card in Domestic Setup ■■?

I’ve no idea, in fact I’m not even sure if they can set the software to analyse for domestic rules, but it’s the only reason I can think of as to why the bloke would suggest that you had done too much driving in the 24 hour period :confused: :wink:

just a thought on this, digital tachographs set the time using UTC(Universal Time coordinate) drivers forget that the tachograph only stores the time as UTC

so you my start at 5 am today say, but you tachograph is reading it as 4 am as where in BST in Oct the time will be the same as UTC

if you know the days the vosa man found you done this, what you could do is, when you put your card in next go into the menu and find print outs for driver 1 say OK find the date in question print it out then look at it then do the same as above for the preceding day and the day after hope it helps

just like to add

if you leave your card in the head unit all week make sure you end shift each night

also if you say end your day in the cab at 5pm, and don’t take your card out till say 5 30, it will look like your shift ended at 5.30 not five on the tachograph

Based on the information given you committed no offence and Ms VOSA is a trumpet as there is not limit to the driving allowed in 24 hours, other than that imposed by the amount you can squeeze into 24 hours. In a 24 hour period you can have up to 13.5 hours driving.

Example

Start work 06:00

15 minutes other work

4.5 hours driving

45 minute break

4.5 hours driving

Finish shift at 16:00

9 hours daily rest

Resume work 01:00

15 minutes other work

4.5 hours driving

That takes you to 05:45 when you start a 45 minute break and you have driven for 13.5 hours in the 24 hour period and are perfectly legal, you even did your vehicle checks at the start of each shift. :wink: