Driving time[ digis]

got to the end of last week and i done 44 hrs 22 mins drivingon the digi tacho which is o.k, this week ive got a longer run sat so i said to t.m i reconded if i did it id go over the 90 hrs per fornights driving . he said ignore what its telling you on the digi as youll only know how much driving youve done when its analysed.
according to him the digi shows each movement of the truck as 1 min[ move a cars length 30 times and youve got 30 mins driving, wheras he says when they analys it will be done in seconds[ [move a cars length 30 times, each time takes 2 seconds and youve only got 1 mins driving not 30 mins]
has any one had theres looked and found that driving times on the digi is different to whats shown after checking
i cant see it myself but he seems totally convinced. :confused:read through tacho book that came with truck and it doesnt mention this as far as i can see.ta

It’s true that the digi tacho does calculate driving time in this way and I would assume that is also how it records it on your drivers card, which is what the analysis company will have to analyse. So I don’t see how they can arrive at different figures for total driving time, when they can only work with what is on the card.

Trust me, your Transport Manager is talking out of the back of his head (or anywhere else you like to think of). :smiley:
It is true that VU’s can resolve time down to one second (they record the speed to 1km/h for every second that the vehicle moves in 24 hours). However, as far as activity is concerned they only record and store in WHOLE MINUTES. This is why you get a minutes worth of driving when you only move a few feet. The printouts and downloads will only show whole minutes of activity as they take their info from the memory store in the VU.
Analysis of either printouts or downloads will only show whole minutes of driving, rest etc.
You can display your fortnightly driving total so long as your card is inserted in the VU and the vehicle is stationary. Look for the symbol ‘ll’ next to the driver 1 pictogram, this will be the current fortnightly driving total, you will have to press the ‘<’ ‘>’ keys a few times (dependant upon the VU manufacturer to get the right display.

Cant you just display it using some viewing software on your PC instead of messing around with the tacho or waiting for analysis? Much quicker and easier!

lu_cb said;

Cant you just display it using some viewing software on your PC instead of messing around with the tacho or waiting for analysis? Much quicker and easier!

Maybe, depends upon the software package. If driver infringement reports are included then they might give fortnightly driving totals. But to get the info you have to put the driver card into a card reader and then transfer the data to the analysis package. Most systems I’ve seen take about 5 minutes to complete the operation.
If the driver card is already in the VU, then it is literally a couple of button presses and it’s displayed infront of you. Easier as you don’t have to have a card reader of computer around.

geebee45:

But to get the info you have to put the driver card into a card reader and then transfer the data to the analysis package. Most systems I’ve seen take about 5 minutes to complete the operation.

My analysis package auto reads the card as you put it in and takes 1-2 minutes max. Obviously easier to use the VU if there is no PC around but its much clearer this way. Especially if you like to do your own analysis and not bother with all this subscription stuff!

as soon as you turn the wheel it clockes up 1 min i have been looking at mine on the daf you can set the info so when the truck is running . it clockes up the engine time but on the taco it clockes up more than i have drove . can you explane that then and all so i wright the time down. when i stop and start again . i did this cos i did 9 hours 5 min but the digi said i did 28 min . :confused:

boost:
as soon as you turn the wheel it clockes up 1 min i have been looking at mine on the daf you can set the info so when the truck is running . it clockes up the engine time but on the taco it clockes up more than i have drove . can you explane that then and all so i wright the time down. when i stop and start again . i did this cos i did 9 hours 5 min but the digi said i did 28 min . :confused:

As far as I can remember the tacho doesn’t automatically change to other-work for 2 minutes after stopping, the pictorgram may change but you’ll find that it will still clock up another 2 minutes, so stops of under 2 minutes are still considered as driving time, when you stop for a while check the driving time when you stop and again when you’re ready to go again, If you stop and start a few times in a shift this can make a significant difference.

To set the record straight on what digital tachos do (and don’t record);

If there is any movement in a calendar minute (runs from 00 to 59 seconds) then the WHOLE MINUTE will be recorded as DRIVING.

If there is any movement in the calendar minute either side of a stationary minute, then the stationary minute will be recorded as DRIVING.

If the mode is changed in a calendar minute (this applies to break / work / availability) then the minute will be recorded as the mode that lasted the longest. eg; if you changed at 20 seconds from work to break, then break would be recorded for the minute as that occupied the greater part of the minute (40 seconds). If both activities are the same length, in the calendar minute, then the last activity selected will be the one recorded.

When a vehicle becomes stationary ‘other work’ is selected automatically. If you change the mode within 2 minutes of becoming stationary the tacho will record the mode selected as if it started when the truck became stationary.

You can get digital tachos to record all sorts of data, other than just driving time. For example they can record how long the engine spends in certain rev ranges or how long the vehicle spends travelling at certain speeds. These are not mandatory and they don’t effect the basic recording of distance, speed and activity.

I keep reading about Digi Tachos recording more driving time than you actually do but on Monday I drove down the M1 through the stop start road works at Luton, onto M25, again stop start at The A10 Tunnel and carried on into Tilbury, I left my depot at 6,30 arrived at Tilbury at 9,45. On my old analogue tachoed truck I would have noted that down as 3 hours 15 minutes but when checking digi tacho it only recorded 3 hours 5 minutes so it does sometimes work in your favour!