Driving time and wtd break advice

Hey all,

Just after some info regarding the wtd breaks when wiping the slate clean for drivers hours. I usually have a 15 minute before my 6 hours is up and follow that by a 30 minute for my second break, wiping the driving time clean. I understand for wtd it has to be 15 before 6 hours, 15 before 9 hours and 15 before 12 hours with regards to having a 45 in total. However, when wiping the slate clean for your driving time, does this break count towards your wtd (as in the example above 15 followed by a 30). I only ask because an old Skool driver where I work says that it is in correct to do it this way as I still need a 15 for wtd along with my 45. I argued that it is still a ‘break’. Would just like some clarification on the matter.

Ta muchly guys.

Michael Douglas:
Hey all,

Just after some info regarding the wtd breaks when wiping the slate clean for drivers hours. I usually have a 15 minute before my 6 hours is up and follow that by a 30 minute for my second break, wiping the driving time clean. I understand for wtd it has to be 15 before 6 hours, 15 before 9 hours and 15 before 12 hours with regards to having a 45 in total. However, when wiping the slate clean for your driving time, does this break count towards your wtd (as in the example above 15 followed by a 30). I only ask because an old Skool driver where I work says that it is in correct to do it this way as I still need a 15 for wtd along with my 45. I argued that it is still a ‘break’. Would just like some clarification on the matter.

Ta muchly guys.

No such rule on 9 and 12 hours

Breaks can count for both driving hours and WTD as long as the rules for each are adhered to

Just what i needed as just finished double manning a few weeks ago. Been off for three weeks and now starting back on my own trunking to Liverpool and back up to scotland.

12 hour shifts with journey time of 4hrs 15mins each way hopefully.

Im assuming a 15 min on the way down, 30 minutes down there whilst waiting and 15 mins on way back up cover me for all driving time and WTD.

ROG:

Michael Douglas:
Hey all,

Ta muchly guys.

No such rule on 9 and 12 hours

Breaks can count for both driving hours and WTD as long as the rules for each are adhered to

I thought before 9 hours you had to have taken 30 minutes break and before 12 hours a full 45 minutes break had to have been taken? Ok that’s fine then. So driving time breaks do count towards wtd. That’s all I wanted to know

H4L:
Just what i needed as just finished double manning a few weeks ago. Been off for three weeks and now starting back on my own trunking to Liverpool and back up to scotland.

12 hour shifts with journey time of 4hrs 15mins each way hopefully.

Im assuming a 15 min on the way down, 30 minutes down there whilst waiting and 15 mins on way back up cover me for all driving time and WTD.

That’s how I would do it! The main thing I wanted to know was whether driving time breaks count towards wtd breaks. So if you were doing a 45 split in to a 15 and a 30 like you say, then so long as you have the 15 minutes before 6 hours is up, you’re covered for both. The fella I work with is saying you need to take breaks for both. Which confused me, as a break is still a break!

Michael Douglas:
I thought before 9 hours you had to have taken 30 minutes break and before 12 hours a full 45 minutes break had to have been taken? Ok that’s fine then. So driving time breaks do count towards wtd. That’s all I wanted to know

What often happens is that a driver takes 15 mins to cover the first 6 hours but forget that a break of 15 mins must be taken to cover any period of 6 hours working time during a shift so often forget covering the back 6 hours

As you are splitting your driving time breaks into 15 +30 then it is unlikely the back of your shifts are not covered

Michael Douglas:
The fella I work with is saying you need to take breaks for both.

Fella does not understand the rules

You’ve got me confused now rog (easily done granted :slight_smile: ). I thought the guy was right in the beginning. Everywhere I look it does say 15 minutes after 6 hours. Then 15 minutes before 9 hours and 15 minutes before 12 hours. Driving time does count towards wtd. What you have to careful with as you mention is you cannot go for 6 hours without 15 minute break.

So if you work 11 hours and take 45 minute break at 5 hours, that would be fine as you’ve satisfied first 15 minutes, another 15 upto 9 hours and another 15 for going over 9 hours. Plus haven’t worked longer than 6 hours without break.

(I thought I had that clear in my mind from previous post when you and tachograph set me straight).

But if you took 45 minutes at 4 hours. Then would still need another 15 minutes in example above at 10 hours. :question:

JS8576:
You’ve got me confused now rog (easily done granted :slight_smile: ). I thought the guy was right in the beginning. Everywhere I look it does say 15 minutes after 6 hours. Then 15 minutes before 9 hours and 15 minutes before 12 hours. Driving time does count towards wtd. What you have to careful with as you mention is you cannot go for 6 hours without 15 minute break.

So if you work 11 hours and take 45 minute break at 5 hours, that would be fine as you’ve satisfied first 15 minutes, another 15 upto 9 hours and another 15 for going over 9 hours. Plus haven’t worked longer than 6 hours without break.

(I thought I had that clear in my mind from previous post when you and tachograph set me straight).

But if you took 45 minutes at 4 hours. Then would still need another 15 minutes in example above at 10 hours. :question:

Legal example - assuming driving time never got to 4.5 hours during the whole 15 hour shift
Work 6 hours
15 min break
work 6 hours
15 min break
work 2 hours
15 min break
work 15 mins

So if you work over 12 hours you do need a 45 minute worth of breaks but you can take them in any way you want (min 15 minutes) as long as the 6 hour rule isn’t broken?

Reading legislation again it looks like it’s easy to take it literally. You need break during first 6 hours, then another between 6 and 9 hours, etc …

BUT now I realise what it actually says is: if you work IN TOTAL 9 hours you need to have had a total 30 minutes in breaks.

Am I right though in that if you go beyond 6 hours and have had 15 minutes you cannot just finish shift without taking another break?

JS8576:
So if you work over 12 hours you do need a 45 minute worth of breaks but you can take them in any way you want (min 15 minutes) as long as the 6 hour rule isn’t broken?

Reading legislation again it looks like it’s easy to take it literally. You need break during first 6 hours, then another between 6 and 9 hours, etc …

BUT now I realise what it actually says is: if you work IN TOTAL 9 hours you need to have had a total 30 minutes in breaks.

Am I right though in that if you go beyond 6 hours and have had 15 minutes you cannot just finish shift without taking another break?

That’s right, if you work over 6 hours working time and have had just 15 minute break you cannot legally finish work without having another 15 minute break.

At no time during a shift should a worker do more than 6 hours working time without a break.

If your working time is more than 6 hours but not more than 9 hours you need a total of 30 minutes break/breaks.
OR (a driver should comply with either the rule above or the rule bellow but not both)
If your total working time is more than 9 hours you need a total of 45 minutes break/breaks.

WTD breaks cannot be at the immediate start of end of a shift.

Driving breaks also count as WTD breaks and where appropriate vice versa.

Thanks Tachograph. I’ve finally grasped it now. When you think TOTAL HOURS it does make a lot more sense than thinking literally (6, 6 to 9, over 9) as I was.

Run bent get a foreign adress