Driving through (or around) Leicester with a 14'10" trailer

I thought I’d be ok going up the M1, across on the A46, down the A607 towards Leicester before hitting the ring road and joining the A47 East, but got going down the A607 and was met with 14’ 6" bridge signs across all three lanes so did an about turn at the roundabout and went via Melton etc. On the Southern ring road there’s a 14’ 4" bridge on my route. Any advice would be appreciated for future. Only rarely take a trailer out over 14’ 2".

Why not buy a map book with bridge heights in it, plan your journey before you set off, job sorted!

where are you heading for Tris?

robbo99:
Why not buy a map book with bridge heights in it, plan your journey before you set off, job sorted!

My Phillips truckers map bridge heights can’t be trusted. E.g the 14’ 4" I mentioned is shown as 13’ something. Just wondered if anyone had local knowledge. Obviously I’ll enquire with other drivers, already have with one driver, who said the bridge on the 607 must be the footbridge and you’d be alright if you stuck to the centre lane… Don’t fancy risking it myself though.

carryfast-yeti:

Stamford area.

Tris:

carryfast-yeti:

Stamford area.

i’d have thought come off the M1 at J21,A5460 i think it is, to Oadby and the racecourse,right at the racecourse roundabout,swing a left signposted A47 Peterborough,follow the road up towards the General Hospital,and just follow the signs for A47 Peterborough.that’s the way us locals go.i think the low bridge you mention is on the D/C near Asda.

It’s not even on here. Reckon I’ll try turning off the A46 earlier next time at the A50 and joining the ring road earlier.

leicester.gov.uk/EasysiteWeb … Attachment

carryfast-yeti:

Tris:

carryfast-yeti:

Stamford area.

i’d have thought come off the M1 at J21,A5460 i think it is, to Oadby and the racecourse,right at the racecourse roundabout,swing a left signposted A47 Peterborough,follow the road up towards the General Hospital,and just follow the signs for A47 Peterborough.that’s the way us locals go.i think the low bridge you mention is on the D/C near Asda.

I’m coming out of Cambridge rd, Whetstone and the bridge is just near there. The way you are saying is basically where I go normally. Except I go via Stoughton drive and Spencefield lane etc.

Tris:

carryfast-yeti:

Tris:

carryfast-yeti:

Stamford area.

I’m coming out of Cambridge rd, Whetstone and the bridge is just near there. The way you are saying is basically where I go normally. Except I go via Stoughton drive and Spencefield lane etc.

that must be the rail bridge at Blaby,near the old County Arms pub.just head towards the M1 to fosse park to avoid it.

[/quote]
that must be the rail bridge at Blaby,near the old County Arms pub.just head towards the M1 to fosse park to avoid it.
[/quote]
That’s what I did. it’s that bloody low Bridge sign on the A607 towards the city that has perplexed me, it can only be the footbridge can’t it?

[/quote]
[/quote]
That’s what I did. it’s that bloody low Bridge sign on the A607 towards the city that has perplexed me, it can only be the footbridge can’t it?

Tris:

[/quote]
[/quote]
it must be Tris…where’s Rog when you need him? he’d know…

Calm Down dear :exclamation: … Take Ya time…

carryfast-yeti:

Tris:

[/quote]
it must be Tris…where’s Rog when you need him? he’d know…
[/quote]
It may say low bridge but it is 16 feet 6 inches on the nearside lane.

Tris:

carryfast-yeti:

Tris:

carryfast-yeti:

Stamford area.

^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^ Good advice .
The locals get upset thundering past the Golf Course and St Pauls School . Hence why all the trees are heavily cut back.
I bet you struggle sometimes pulling out to turn right onto A47 at the end T -junction of Spencefield lane :unamused:
If you carry straight on at Golf course lights (main st. ) and past the Hospital == you come to main traffic lights at A47. Turn right on lights :wink:

[/quote]

Keep going that way ,
your already sorted for the shortest easiest route if your turning right at the Bermuda (Grove) Triangle lights - Sainsburyss onto A5460. Keep to the limits along there, the scamera van sits along there between the Pork Pie island’ and the Racecourse. :wink:

Tris:
I thought I’d be ok going up the M1, across on the A46, down the A607 towards Leicester before hitting the ring road and joining the A47 East, but got going down the A607 and was met with 14’ 6" bridge signs across all three lanes so did an about turn at the roundabout and went via Melton etc. On the Southern ring road there’s a 14’ 4" bridge on my route. Any advice would be appreciated for future. Only rarely take a trailer out over 14’ 2".

I live there and am trying to work out where a low bridge is if you go A46 bypass east, A607 south, A456 outer ring east, A47 east …■■?

ROG:

Tris:

I live there and am trying to work out where a low bridge is if you go A46 bypass east, A607 south, A456 outer ring east, A47 east …■■?

had me scratching my head last night Rog! :confused:

I assume this is the footbridge on at A607 as you approach the Asda island at the top end of Thurmaston? In which case it ain’t that low?

ROG:

Tris:

Its the footbridge between Hobby Horse island and Ma walkers old yard Thrummy Top town. Innit. (near old co-op - now Asda ). opposite the pits. Right up by the island on the approach. Its the stupid skeleton bridge that slopes to the right when they built it - planks … :wink:

Right hand lane approach is 16-& left hand lane is 16-6" , innit.
… and its A46 to Hobby Horse TR > A607 to Asda TR , > A607 to Thorn Lighting Lights TL > A563 past Barkby thorpe IE and onto Hamilton way , TL onto Uppingham road A47 . :wink:

Personally i would use Anstey turn off and go round kreffield way - over the mead - over thorn and keep going .
or, preferably avoid Leics altogether innit :grimacing:

In bound I saw 16.0 on left and 16.5 on right on google maps