Driving the mines in aus,advice please

just wondering if any of u guys could give me advice on moving to aus in the mines as im just about to start the process of moving down under depending on the artic driving work or as adiesel hgv fitter

PADDYV8:
just wondering if any of u guys could give me advice on moving to aus in the mines as im just about to start the process of moving down under depending on the artic driving work or as adiesel hgv fitter

You’ll probably have to re-sit you’re test over there if you want to drive on the road.

A U.K. C+E license in Western Australia translates to a Medium Rigid (only about a 10 tonne truck).
When I was over there they told me I’d have to take a Heavy Rigid test and hold that entitlement for at least a year before taking a Heavy Combination Test. Then, as you’re probably well aware, they have B-Doubles and Road Trains down under and you’ll find you have to wait another year before you can take a test for those. I was just content to drive the small trucks around in the end. Although other states do have different arrangements.

Whether you need a license to drive down the mines I don’t rightly know but I would imagine so. One thing I can assure you about Australia though is that, just like in the U.K., nothing’s cheap anymore.

PADDYV8:

Mate been there, done that!

What type of visa are you hoping to get? You have got next to NO chance of migrating based on your HGV license. Mine work is hard enough to get for seasoned Aussies! It’s all about WHO you know! Oh, and they don’t recognise the UK HGV licenses. You WILL need to retake as a learner at your expense.

As for the fitter route, you’ll have more chance, however, I still think you will struggle! Have you sought sound advice from a migration agent?

I can recommend Julia Skoglund @ migrateaustralia.com.au

If she can’t help you, no one can.

Red Squirrel:

PADDYV8:

You’ll probably have to re-sit you’re test over there if you want to drive on the road.

A U.K. C+E license in Western Australia translates to a Medium Rigid (only about a 10 tonne truck).
When I was over there they told me I’d have to take a Heavy Rigid test and hold that entitlement for at least a year before taking a Heavy Combination Test. Then, as you’re probably well aware, they have B-Doubles and Road Trains down under and you’ll find you have to wait another year before you can take a test for those. I was just content to drive the small trucks around in the end. Although other states do have different arrangements.

Whether you need a license to drive down the mines I don’t rightly know but I would imagine so. One thing I can assure you about Australia though is that, just like in the U.K., nothing’s cheap anymore.

No disrespect Pal, but that information is completey duff! How long ago where you there?

RobRob:

Red Squirrel:

PADDYV8:

No disrespect Pal, but that information is completey duff! How long ago where you there?

I was only there for a few months as the money ran out but they did allow me to drive Medium Rigids on a U.K. License and they do translate the licenses and if nothing’s changed you would get a medium rigid entitlement when you exchanged your license.

Red Squirrel:

RobRob:

Red Squirrel:

PADDYV8:

I was only there for a few months as the money ran out but they did allow me to drive Medium Rigids on a U.K. License and they do translate the licenses and if nothing’s changed you would get a medium rigid entitlement when you exchanged your license.

You can drive for a year on your UK license. If you intend to LIVE there, then you need to retake. I came home with a MC Multi Combi (road train) license. Good for f all over here but very nice to keep in my wallet whenst having a willy waving contest!

I was in Queensland Jan 2010 - Jan 2011. I have a UK Class 1 and was given a HR (Heavy Rigid) licence without doing any test. I did have to do a test though for the HC (Heavy Combination/artics) but done this straight away without doing any HR work. Need to have this for a year before you can get the MC (Multi Combination/roadtrains) though.

As for the mines, the money is very good, will be hard getting a start though. I did meet some lads who were also out there from the UK like me who got mine work but in the catering side. Ok, its not driving but if you want any sort of mine work for the money its an idea.

RobRob:
You can drive for a year on your UK license. If you intend to LIVE there, then you need to retake.

Ok, now I check I think that is right. I think you have to surrender your uk license as well when you apply for your aussie one. If you can pass the aussie test before that year runs out though…

I still wouldn’t attempt it now though and you were spot-on when you said “It’s all about WHO you know!”

Red Squirrel:
I think you have to surrender your uk license as well when you apply for your aussie one. If you can pass the aussie test before that year runs out though…

They never asked for nor took my UK licence. I had both the whole time.

What i was saying was slightly wrong. You need to wait only 1 year after HR or HC to go for MC. You still have to have medium rigid for a year before going onto HR or HC though. transport.wa.gov.au/licensin … .asp#23188

Red Squirrel:
What i was saying was slightly wrong. You need to wait only 1 year after HR or HC to go for MC. You still have to have medium rigid for a year before going onto HR or HC though. transport.wa.gov.au/licensin … .asp#23188

Only if you’re a new driver!

I managed to persuade them to let me go straight in at HC. 150 working KMs later, MC! Mind you, that was QLD so may be some difference.

Chopsticks:

Red Squirrel:
I think you have to surrender your uk license as well when you apply for your aussie one. If you can pass the aussie test before that year runs out though…

They never asked for nor took my UK licence. I had both the whole time.

I’m sure it said something about it on the forms at the time. I don’t suppose it would matter that much if it did because you could soon get it back when you came home anyway.

RobRob:

Red Squirrel:

I managed to persuade them to let me go straight in at HC. 150 working KMs later, MC! Mind you, that was QLD so may be some difference.

They said to me in Perth that they would let me take HR test. Not what it says on the website I know.

Red Squirrel:

RobRob:

Red Squirrel:

They said to me in Perth that they would let me take HR test. Not what it says on the website I know.

Pretty certain the slack arse ■■■■■■■ make it up as they go along to be honest!

RobRob:

Red Squirrel:

RobRob:

Red Squirrel:

Pretty certain the slack arse [zb] make it up as they go along to be honest!

They ought to just let us all convert straight to HC in all states imho. WA isn’t the easiest state to start from so you chose a better starting place from the sounds of it.

I was surprised how expensive second hand cars could be over there btw. Even for a banger.

Red Squirrel:

RobRob:

Red Squirrel:

RobRob:

Red Squirrel:

Pretty certain the slack arse [zb] make it up as they go along to be honest!

They ought to just let us all convert straight to HC in all states imho. WA isn’t the easiest state to start from so you chose a better starting place from the sounds of it.

I was surprised how expensive second hand cars could be over there btw. Even for a banger.

Don’t even get me started on that one!!
We went out there to live. Had PR and stayed just long enough to get citizenship. To be honest, that was too long!
I have returned home with an ingrained hatred of anything AUS! Land of milk and honey? My arse!

RobRob:
Don’t even get me started on that one!!
We went out there to live. Had PR and stayed just long enough to get citizenship. To be honest, that was too long!
I have returned home with an ingrained hatred of anything AUS! Land of milk and honey? My arse!

It certainly wasn’t quite what I expected. I only went a few years ago and I got the impression I’d missed the boat.

The OP might want to consider these hays.com.au/main/default.aspx if he gets stuck for work as they’re one of the agencies that have a fair bit to do with the mines. Never worked for them or in the mines myself though, they were just recommended to me for mine work. BHP Billiton is another company that might be worth talking to.

That’s if he still wants to plunge ahead with the idea.

My brother in laws lad has just gone over there. Went to work in the mines. But was only there for 2 weeks and go a job as a welder. He is on about Aus$45,000 a year. So if your a fitter I take it you can weld?

Paul

paddyvs , this …

by RobRob » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:08 pm

PADDYV8 wrote:

Mate been there, done that!

What type of visa are you hoping to get? You have got next to NO chance of migrating based on your HGV license. Mine work is hard enough to get for seasoned Aussies! It’s all about WHO you know! Oh, and they don’t recognise the UK HGV licenses. You WILL need to retake as a learner at your expense.

As for the fitter route, you’ll have more chance, however, I still think you will struggle! Have you sought sound advice from a migration agent?

I can recommend Julia Skoglund @ migrateaustralia.com.au

If she can’t help you, no one can.

is sound advice . I tried and failed down the HGV route and that was with a LOT of strings being pulled on the Aussie side :wink: :wink:

Deisel Fitter is the way to go , forget emigrating as a Driver .

I also agree wth the guys above about not expecting the land of milk and honey , it’s ■■■■ expensive over there now . Food prices have trebled snce I first went out there 7 yrs ago .

That said , I love the place and have more family in Oz than I do in the UK , so it’s like my " default " destination when I need to kick back . :sunglasses:

Good luck , you’ll need it !

in victoria australia: it is illegal to be involved in a rain dance

you cannot use a donkey to pull a cart but you may use a goat.

it is illegal to change your own lightbulb, you must use a qualified electrician.

i hope this helps. :laughing: