Driving small vans = other work, or still driving?

I wonder about one issue.

For example I was driving for 5 hours. So I have 4 hours of driving time left (as my max driving time is nine hours, forget one hour extra) or 7 hours of other work, as my maximum working time is 12 hours.

So let’s imagine, that I’ll be driving citroen berlingo or something like sprinter for six hours that day. As a result I was worked 11 hours (and of course a break to that) and I have only 5 hours class 2 driving in that but 11 hours of any driving…

Is that counts as a driving, or, as is not tachographed vehicle, as an other work?

I wonder, as one guy I know is driving small vans when he’s out of his driving time and claim, that it’s all all right. I think if that’s all right I would do the same on his place, as is always better to drive small car then fro exapmple brushing the warehouse…

What do you think?

It’s other work, since the vehicle isn’t covered by tacho regs, but you are.

Digi tacho update training course yesterday, we were told that now driving in your car to and from work is classed as other work.
Very difficult to ‘police’ or prove though.

Driving vehicle outside the scope of EU drivers hours, in this case vans of 3.5 tonnes and less, is classed as ‘other work’ as far as EU regs are concerned. Be careful about the Domestic Hours driving limit of 10 hours as this will count both van and lorry driving and should not exceed 10 hours in the 24 hours from the beginning of the shift. If you drive a van and have driven under EU hours that week you need to record the van driving as other work on the back of a tacho chart, printout paper or by doing a manual entry on you driver card.

Ronaldo said;

we were told that now driving in your car to and from work is classed as other work.

Nothing against you M8 but that is total rubbish. Your journey from home to usual place of work, or work to home, is not counted as; driving, other work or anything else for either drivers hours or WTD. If you travel to somewhere else, other than the operating centre where you are usually based, then if you’re driving (other than EU controlled vehicle) it will be ‘other work.’ If you are a passenger it will be ‘availability.’ Same applies to a return journey

Ronaldo also said;

Very difficult to ‘police’ or prove though

Not as difficult as you may think, as many have found out. :open_mouth:

Driving a non tacho vehicle needs to be counted as driving. If you are driving on an analogue tacho you should make a manual entry on the back to show that you have been driving/working/resting. For digi tacho, we record on a weekly sheet.

We run a really mixed fleet and we are going through a VOSA check at the moment and had the exact conversation with the VOSA guy yesterday afternoon. I presume he knows what he is talking about.

By the way, if you only drive vans, you are subject to GB domestic rules not EU regs, which in a nutshell are driving 10 hours per day, 11 hour s duty. If you mix GB domestic and Eu, follow the EU rules.

:blush: :blush: and double oops. Had occasion to speak to my VOSA man again and it is down as other work not driving. :blush: :blush:

GV262 P27 covers mixed driving.

Any work / driving “out of scope” is “other work”

Even a short period of driving under EU rules during any day by a driver will mean that he is in scope
of the EU rules for the whole of that day and must comply with the daily driving, break and restrequirements; he will also have to comply with the weekly rest requirement and driving limit

this is taken from page 9 of the book linked to in the sticky at the top of the page and evidently replaces GV262.

I understand it to mean , if driving a ■■■■■■ etc on the same day as a HGV , you must fill in manually driving time and include it in your calculations

Is there are wonder that drivers fall foul of driver regs when they are open to so many interpretations?

del94 it’s at the top P13 of GV262:

“Even a short period of driving under EU rules during any day by a driver will mean that he is in scope of the EU rules for the whole of that day and must comply with the daily driving, break and rest requirements; he will also have to comply with the weekly rest requirement and driving limit.”

del949:

Even a short period of driving under EU rules during any day by a driver will mean that he is in scope
of the EU rules for the whole of that day and must comply with the daily driving, break and restrequirements; he will also have to comply with the weekly rest requirement and driving limit

this is taken from page 9 of the book linked to in the sticky at the top of the page and evidently replaces GV262.

I understand it to mean , if driving a ■■■■■■ etc on the same day as a HGV , you must fill in manually driving time and include it in your calculations

Is there are wonder that drivers fall foul of driver regs when they are open to so many interpretations?

If you drive in scope of the EU regulations at any time during the day, you’re within scope of the EU regulations for the whole day.

But that doesn’t mean that any vehicle you drive will be classed as a vehicle in scope of the EU regulations, as geebee45 said if the vehicle is 3.5 tonnes or under it’s not a vehicle that falls within scope of the EU regulations.

However, you as a driver are still in-scope of the EU regulations and must comply with the break and rest regulations.

Driving a vehicle of 3.5 tonnes or less is classed as other work because the vehicle falls out of scope of the EU regulations, so only time spent driving vehicles over 3.5 tonnes is classed as driving for the EU regulations.

orys:
For example I was driving for 5 hours. So I have 4 hours of driving time left (as my max driving time is nine hours, forget one hour extra) or 7 hours of other work, as my maximum working time is 12 hours.

So let’s imagine, that I’ll be driving citroen berlingo or something like sprinter for six hours that day. As a result I was worked 11 hours (and of course a break to that) and I have only 5 hours class 2 driving in that but 11 hours of any driving…

So getting back to orys example:

In scope 5 hours driving. 45 break already taken. 8 hours shift remaining. (maximum normal shift 13 hours). Jump in the Berlingo and could do 8 hours “other work”. (13 hour shift and tacho 45 mins satisfy WTD?) :question:

He can do a max of 10 hours driving on any day (eu rules twice a week).

A maximum of 11 hours duty (Domestic rules) and is entitled to ‘adequate rest’. If you drive under both sets of rules in the same day then 11 hours duty (domestic rules) applies, not the max 15 under EU regs.

Any EU daily/weekly rest requirements must be obeyed. incuding payingg back compensation for reduced weekly rest, even though at the end of the 3rd week you might not be driving under EU regs.

Any DUTY (other work) under domestic rules must be recorded on a VDO printout/analogue chart/manual entry or on the weekly log book (required under GB domestic rules) and must be able to produce the previous 28 days when any EU driving has been done in those weeks.

Have I got that right Tachograph?

MADBAZ:
He can do a max of 10 hours driving on any day (eu rules twice a week).

A maximum of 11 hours duty (Domestic rules) and is entitled to ‘adequate rest’. If you drive under both sets of rules in the same day then 11 hours duty (domestic rules) applies, not the max 15 under EU regs.

Any EU daily/weekly rest requirements must be obeyed. incuding payingg back compensation for reduced weekly rest, even though at the end of the 3rd week you might not be driving under EU regs.

Any DUTY (other work) under domestic rules must be recorded on a VDO printout/analogue chart/manual entry or on the weekly log book (required under GB domestic rules) and must be able to produce the previous 28 days when any EU driving has been done in those weeks.

Have I got that right Tachograph?

Can’t see anything wrong with that, and better explained than I could have :blush:

Basically if you did 5 hours driving under EU rules you would then be restricted to a further 5 hours driving under domestic rules, with a maximum working shift of 11 hours.

I read all your answers, but.
When I get out of a HGV with my sticky little chart in my hand, and climb into a small van to continue driving… I WILL record it on the back!

Maybe, depending on your interpretation of the rules , it is legal not to do so.
but the spirit of the laws are pretty self evident!!

Let’s try and clear a few thing up.

there is no problem with doing a mix of EU and Domestic driving on the same day. If you do; you cannot exceed the domestic hours driving limit (10 hours)because EU driving counts as domestic driving. However, as domestic driving is ‘other work’ under EU legislation you could quite easily do 5 hours EU (you must have a 45 minute break after 4.5 hours) followed by 5 hours domestic for six days on the trot. Your daily rest period is governed by EU rules and not domestic; so you will need 11 hours daily rest (or 9 hours when available). If you drive EU in a week you must have an EU weekly rest period. There is no requirement under domestic regs for an hgv driver to take weekly rest.

Assuming you do EU driving on more than the required number of occasions in the relevant Reference Period, you will have to obey break requirements under WTD.

Records; if you drive EU then you must use a tacho. If you drive a mix of EU and domestic on the same day then you must record everything on a tacho. Half on a tacho and half in a log book will land you in Court. If you drive only domestic on a day in a week where you have driven EU, then record on a tacho. If you drive domestic in a 3.5 tonne van all week and do not do any EU driving that week, then you do not need to keep any record.

Hope that makes it all clear :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Jeeeeezus, I’m glad I’m in Oz. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

peterm:
Jeeeeezus, I’m glad I’m in Oz. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

dont get too excited mate, we’ll be getting digi tachos before long

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

geebee45:
Records; if you drive EU then you must use a tacho. If you drive a mix of EU and domestic on the same day then you must record everything on a tacho. Half on a tacho and half in a log book will land you in Court. If you drive only domestic on a day in a week where you have driven EU, then record on a tacho.

Agree with you Geebee45, although the GV262 does say that ‘other work records’ must be produced when required.

geebee45:
If you drive domestic in a 3.5 tonne van all week and do not do any EU driving that week, then you do not need to keep any record.

And again your right, I didn’t realise that if your outside of operating license requirements then weekly logs are not required. I missed the flow chart.
Apologies for any confusion.

I think that we were all more or less agreed on that, the disagreement is … do you record domestc driving as driving or other work?