Driving Shoes

When I was waiting for my paperwork at 3663
last week I noticed a bloke walk in wearing
ordinary black shoes not steel toe caps and
was wondering how many more drivers use
normal shoes for driving in :question: .

I drive in trainers than change them when I get to
the place I am going to plus I think my reactions
are a little quicker in trainers than my boots.

Would it not be better to wear Slippers :question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

As a kid we were all convinced we could run faster in our Slippers :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Sorry, but I need the extra weight on the toecap of the right boot, if you know what I mean :laughing:.

No outside shoes at all allowed in my cab. I drive in either clacks or bare feet.

Davey Driver:
Would it not be better to wear Slippers :question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

As a kid we were all convinced we could run faster in our Slippers :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You’ve been watching too much Peter Kay, Davey :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: .

I wear canvas footwear most of the time and will only wear my steelies if I’m hand-balling heavy stuff or using a pallet truck (or if I’m asked to; site rules).

Wearing steelies all the time makes my feet sweat which does them no good at all.

dealer boots do nicely for me, put them on brand new and they quickly feel like old friends, and comfortable to

convoy makes a good point there, there,s nothing worse than driving in
those industrial safety boots, totally too heavy and thick soled to drive
comfortably.

trouble is a lot of jobs on agencies require them, i was wondering if you
could get away with wearing a safety shoe, something like a doc’ martin
shoe or similar, because i might have to go down the agency route again from september.

I have very small feet…size 4 :cry: My feet look silly in my Doc Martens, but they do the jop & are very comfortable thank you very much.
I guess that this may be partly to to with the fact that the only other footwear that I posess are my motorbike boots, so my feet aqre used to them.They are proper knee length ones with buckles on the sides (a la proper 1960’s British motorbike wear). None of that poncy bright coloured Jap motorbike clothing for me!
However…that were hideous to break in though & I spent the first 3 months with a permenant limp! :frowning:
T.■■

When I started on agency I wore an old pair of ambulance issue DM’s and had no problems! But you can’t stop a heavy pallet truck with them!

When they wore out I got some steelys from the agency and they weigh a bloody ton and as Rob K says above no good for your feet!

If i’m driving a distance i’ll wear trainers in the cab then change to the boots when I get there. But if only doing short distance I tend to stick with the boots :cry:

I’ve not worn boots for years, I always wear shoes with steel toecaps.
I get them from Cosalt, the range off safety footwear is huge, you can even get safety toecap trainers.

I wear the slippy on type shoes without the backs,(probably not the technical name for them)as I can just slip them off when moving round the cab.I never walked around the cab with my shoes on :wink:

Caterpillar Steel Toe Cap Boots for me.

When I was on the road full time, this is what I swore by.

The boots stayed on the drivers side of the cab, with flip flops or canvas shoes on the passenger side when on a night out. ( after a shower :open_mouth: )

Whether I was on heavy haulage, fridges, or general haulage, I drove in Steelies.

This is because in 1993, a steel stillage came off a trailer .
I was wearing Doc Martens, with no steel toe cap.
The foot of the stillage broke my big toe.
When I got to the hospital ( PAIN :cry: ) they took the boot off and tipped it upside down.
BLOOD :open_mouth: And lots of it.

After 12 years, the toe still is not right.

I work in a scrap-yard now and still go to work in steelies, whether I am in the office or going to auctions in my clean clobber, buying cars.

STRANGE BUT TRUE :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Look after yer tootsies boys and girls :laughing:

CHEERS,

NIALL.

i all ways safety trainers they are comfy quick to slip off and they make the companey hse officer go barmy coz he thinks you are wearing trainers so one up for me for a change :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Truckette:
They are proper knee length ones with buckles on the sides

Women and leather, and ‘restraints’… Tell us more. :laughing: :laughing:

It depends who I’m working for and where I’m going, and how far the car park is from the truck area.

If it’s a run where I ‘know’ that I will not have to go into any warehousing area, then soft shoes. If it’s an ‘in house’ shipment with pump truck loading then, probably soft shoes.

If it’s a satellite location where I can drive up to the vehicle and load my kit, then soft shoes and protective footwear goes in the nearside footwell.

Otherwise, on a long run. 3+ hours. Protective boots come off and I drive in my socks. Particularly in the summer.

I just have to make sure that I don’t leave my boots in the trailer as they could contaminate the produce. :laughing: :laughing:

Clogs for driving more then one hour. Truck or car. Cool in summer, warm in winter, always comfy.
Slip into soft sabots with a low back when leaving the car, or safety shoes (hate boots) outside the cab.
Usually wear the sabots on shorter journeys.

Salut, David.

Well we are talking about shoes and driveing, for those of you who who
are not wise to the German safety regulations, If they catch you driveing yourcar,lorry without the correct footwear ie, this is footwear with a closed
heel The fine payable on thespot will be around 35€ (23.5pounds),
about steel toe caps+shoes/boots you can bet some excellent trainers
which are safety shoes with all the trimmings and these are very light
but do still fullfill the required levels of safety as demanded,

ALSO the clogs are now being sold with steeeltoe caps and a safety
classification as well which makes life easy for those who like this footwear,

brit pete:
Well we are talking about shoes and driveing, for those of you who who
are not wise to the German safety regulations, If they catch you driveing yourcar,lorry without the correct footwear ie, this is footwear with a closed
heel The fine payable on thespot will be around 35€ (23.5pounds),
about steel toe caps+shoes/boots you can bet some excellent trainers
which are safety shoes with all the trimmings and these are very light
but do still fullfill the required levels of safety as demanded,

ALSO the clogs are now being sold with steeeltoe caps and a safety
classification as well which makes life easy for those who like this footwear,

My understanding is that clogs are made of wood :question: so why do you need steelies in them :question: . Isn’t the wood thick enough to protect your toes :question: .

i wear mules when ime driving(slip them off and drive barefoot mainly) and steelies when loadin/unloading…

Rob K to meet the required safety regulations ,that state a steel or aluminium TOE-CAP which meets the standards has to be incorperated
into the footwear, and this is what a enterpriseing firm has done with
the clogs ,and they have passed the test so are now allowed to be worn,