Driving regs. and 12 hr shifts

Just seen a job I’m going to apply for driving tippers.
Just one problem I have is that they want drivers to work 12 hr shifts. 6am/pm and then 6pm to 6am. 5 days a week.

How does that work legally? is the rest of the day doing “other work”?

ALSO: I am also in the reserves so not sure if this job will clash with weekly rest breaks…

coaster:
Just one problem I have is that they want drivers to work 12 hr shifts. 6am/pm and then 6pm to 6am. 5 days a week.

How does that work legally? is the rest of the day doing “other work”?

ALSO: I am also in the reserves so not sure if this job will clash with weekly rest breaks…

Need more info as to why you think it could be illegal

just not sure how they’d work a 12hr shift.
9 hrs driving , 45min break… 2 hrs 15 mins. of “doing other work”?
plus the odd extra hr driving instead twice per week?

the reserves will be other work interfering with weekly rest? it isn’t driving, but more sort of outdoors activities lol

coaster:
just not sure how they’d work a 12hr shift.
9 hrs driving , 45min break… 2 hrs 15 mins. of “doing other work”?
plus the odd extra hr driving instead twice per week?

the reserves will be other work interfering with weekly rest? it isn’t driving, but more sort of outdoors activities lol

You got it - I guess there is bound to be a certain amount of waiting around to load + tip time

aaaaa. thanks
I’d be breaking the though weekly rest rule though me being a reservist as i understand it.

coaster:
aaaaa. thanks
I’d be breaking the though weekly rest rule though me being a reservist as i understand it.

I am fairly certain that TA stuff does not count even as other work but I’ll try and find out

wow… thanks mate! much appreciated!

From GV262-03 …

In addition to the derogations listed above, there is also a concession in place from the daily and weekly rest requirements specified in the EU drivers’ hours regulations for professional drivers who are also members of the Territorial Army. The conditions of the concession are:

• a suspension of the requirement of taking a daily rest period within a period of 24 hours when the
    driver commenced the weekly training as a reservist or as an instructor in the cadet corps; and
  • a suspension of the requirement of taking a weekly rest period at the end of the six 24 hour periods
    from the previous weekly rest period when the driver commences his driving as a reservist or as an instructor in the cadet corps.
    A regular daily rest must still be taken before they start work for their primary employer and a regular weekly rest must be taken no later than at the end of the sixth day following training. This is due to be transposed into domestic legislation during 2011.

coaster:
aaaaa. thanks

The rules for TA are on page 16 here

As far as I can see, as long as you have a daily rest period before starting a shift for your regular employer and don’t train on two consecutive weekends the reservist training is exempt from the EU regulations.

Driver hours crack me up, in the British Army your ment to follow them. Yea driving a Viking round afgan for 36hours straight with no sleep was a good one. I stepped up and said this aint right and my higher told me warfare be welfare. Just hope no civvies get me to do that

coaster:

How does that work legally?

Breaks and POA don’t count towards working time so if you’re spending several hours per day waiting to get tipped/loaded then it’s easy to maintain and 48 per week average.

looking at the way you have written it, the company is working 2x12 shifts either days or nights, they are not going to expect you to do both!!!
you won’t have any issues with the regulations on that length of shift taking out breaks and your loading times.
I personally work 3x15’s and 2x13’s a week and still stay on or about the 48 hrs for RTD and never a problem with driving times. just the correct use of the mode on your tacho helps no end, as you do the job you will get to know if you can use poa or break while waiting if you are doing the same sort of work each week :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

thanks all for all that information!
very much appreciated!!!