Driving on the laptop, mobile with the headphones in

mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mo … ng-5132609

Are these helmet cam cyclists some sort of self-appointed ‘guardian angel’ community support officers?

Fair enough, the guy in the car is being a bit of a bell end, but the report suggests that this cyclist goes around telling lots of drivers to put their phones down. There are loads of them on YouTube, recording driving misdemeanours, reading out the offender’s numberplate and posting the footage online.

This is turning into trial by media, not by the justice system. Who is recording the cyclists? What about their offences? Presumably they just delete that footage…

driver has been charged bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-n … d-31356242

ORC:
Who is recording the cyclists? What about their offences?

Cyclists own the road. Didnt you know that? Plus they do no wrong while out and about. :smiley:

charge the bike ■■■■■■ too undertaking weaving in and out of traffic no wonder they get smacked in the face.

typical lycra clad ■■■■■■ who think they have some god given right to be always in the right.

ORC:
Are these helmet cam cyclists some sort of self-appointed ‘guardian angel’ community support officers?

Fair enough, the guy in the car is being a bit of a bell end, but the report suggests that this cyclist goes around telling lots of drivers to put their phones down. There are loads of them on YouTube, recording driving misdemeanours, reading out the offender’s numberplate and posting the footage online.

This is turning into trial by media, not by the justice system. Who is recording the cyclists? What about their offences? Presumably they just delete that footage…

Perhaps if you lost a family member due to a motorist being on the phone or texting whilst driving, you would have a different point of view.

Good, I don’t care how he was caught, he shouldn’t have been doing that in the first place. Some people think they can do what they like. Hopefully people will start thinking twice.

Could’ve been using the laptop as a sat nav, I’ve done that in the past, Bluetooth GPS and AutoRoute - it was quite a few years ago mind, before sat navs were as good as they are now, and I was in Bulgaria not the UK where most sat navs didn’t cover back then (still sketchy now tbh)

Sure, the driver is a bell end, but his driving wasn’t bad in the video. Surprised he didn’t get out and put laptop, mobile phone, earphones and land rover over the cyclists head.

I’m a cyclist, but not a road warrior, I’ll have a go if someone’s driving is endangering or inconveniencing me, but not because they’re breaking some law made up by some muppet in an office.

That’s a tricky one;

on the one hand that driver is endangering other people’s lives as he can be distracted from his driving by any of those gadgets

on the other hand his driving seems to be ok along that footage…

What I don’t want is having every guy from next door acting as a cop.

I’m not the biggest fan of cyclists what so ever but fair play to this one. if your daft enough to be using all them things while driving and making it so obvious for the world to see he deserves everything he gets.

Baldy91:
I’m not the biggest fan of cyclists what so ever but fair play to this one. if your daft enough to be using all them things while driving and making it so obvious for the world to see he deserves everything he gets.

By the Police, not by a SAP (Self Appointed Police).

He deserves to get done, sure, but that’s what the Police are for, not bloody helmet cams and Youtube

why should he be done if it was me I would say the footage was tampered with.

I don’t now thanks to blue tooth etc but have driven on the phone regular before it was made illegal and never caused an issue/accident/or killed anyone.

if we keep this up with ‘statistcs’ everyone will be limited to 20 mph by some satellite with in car/truck/van cams being law to instantly fine any offence.

we have some of the busiest roads in Europe and as a nation our standards are way above what I have witnessed coming over to these shores.

it could have been as mentioned sat nav, he could have been a ■■■■■■■■ watching a film but why when he wasn’t swerving all over the road should he be prosecuted by the police who didn’t see any of it? all this will do is less police on the roads enforcing the endless laws and more lycra warriors with a sense of self importance being police.

Adam27:
Good, I don’t care how he was caught, he shouldn’t have been doing that in the first place. Some people think they can do what they like. Hopefully people will start thinking twice.

There are an extremely limited amount of times that has happened. More than once when it has been reported they’d been texting it turned out to be minutes before the accident and therefore not at all contributory.

The whole “talking on your phone is as dangerous as being drunk” ■■■■■■■■ has been well and truly debunked in a study in a country with far worse driving and denser traffic than ours.

He’s not allowed to do it mate, no matter how good his driving appears. If he killed someone you loved because he was on his phone and distracted (they are a distraction, I see it every single day) in sure you would kick off. Laws are laws and as a driver you drive under those laws, if you don’t like the laws, don’t drive.

so is speeding how long until they have a speed trap app too?

and don’t give me you never speed everyone has at some point.

The cyclist is a muppet and I hope one day he comes across the wrong person and gets the beating he deserves. Why are we encouraged to be a nation of snitches. Just because he is on the phone doesn’t make him a danger, he is obviously capable of doing more than one thing at once

It absolutely astounds me , that on this site ,where more than enough evidence of muppet behaviour is shown , that posters still find reasons to excuse that behaviour .
In many cases it is always is a transfer of blame , from the person committing the wrong , to attempt to blame the person who captured the evidence of the wrongdoing.

Here is a thing , if you can do more than 1 thing at a time , then the possibility of distraction obviously never happens to you , so should you be eligible for an exemption to the laws of the land .

How about if Police forces now started patrolling busy traffic areas on bikes with camera set ups , there are many areas where the police already patrol on bikes , so easy & rich pickings for them if they started doing this in traffic queues etc .

it only takes a split second of lost concentration for things to go pear shaped , all right nothing happened in this instance , but if someone , doing the same thing on phone or texting , just happened to step off pavement in front of him , his bad day could well have been a whole lot worse .

nearly as good as the JOHN LEWIS driver that overtook me on m25 today the film he was watching looked a good one

Typical Landy driver but why aren’t cyclists charged with dangerous road use when they ride through traffic with headphones in, music blasting?

Casual Observer:
It absolutely astounds me , that on this site ,where more than enough evidence of muppet behaviour is shown , that posters still find reasons to excuse that behaviour .

Its not that at all. Its just that some of us have functioning brains and also tend to believe research which has been done and actual statistics rather than sound bites issued by authorities.

Some examples of such sound bites is the old claim that speeding causes a large amount of accidents which is used to justify blanketing the country in speed cameras. It then came to light in a DfT report that exceeding the speed limit was the contributory factor in just 5% of accidents and driving at inappropriate speeds was 9% with the main factor in accidents actually being driver error and inattention.