Driving on the continent

Hi all i am after some advice on driving europe and beyond but i am not sure who to contact and also heard loads of horror stories about it cheers for your help guys ady!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

What kind of advice are you after, ask away and we will do our best to answer.

The first bit of advice I would offer you is not to believe all the ā€˜horror stories.ā€™ At best only about 10% of them are likely to be true. :wink: :smiley:

the kind of advice i am after are which company should i go for what is the average pay and if someone could give us some telephone numbers that would be a great help as well :smiley: and in advance thanks for all your help guys all the best ady :sunglasses: ps how can i get my self a little pic under ones name :slight_smile:

BLADE 918:
ps how can i get my self a little pic under ones name :slight_smile:

There is a thread in the feedback forum entitled ā€œUploading avatars and picsā€ which explains the procedure.

continental driving is ok

sometimes you end up in the wrong place or go down the wrong road

or post in the wrong forum

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

see euro driving forum trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=3

Iā€™ve started driving on the Continent this year and although it was something Iā€™ve always wanted to do, I was a bit worried about tings like laws and road signs, taxes and some of the stories I heard over the years.
But Iā€™ve found itā€™s less stressful than battleing your way round our clogged network, the services are in a different league, the meaning of most road sign is obvious, most of Europe can speak English although I speak a bit of French and try and say Please and Thank You in the language of the country Iā€™m in. Driving on the right is not a big problem, although left hand drive has taken some getting used to, :smiley: and for taxes, itā€™s either tolls or stop at the first services and buy something or get a nice box that bleeps. :smiley:

I think the most difficult thing to do is try and find somebody who still runs to the Continent that will take on a novice driver. :frowning:

thats it back on course no panic

i have started driving over here in france, and have been doing some italy as well and i love it :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
the europeen attitude to the truck driver is complearly different to the uk, and you get treated with some respect.
meals are much cheaper if you are a driver, most places dont even ask they just seem to know even in the msaā€™s and you usually get about 3-5Ć¢ā€šĀ¬ reduction.
parking is free in most servicies but secure parking is starting to take off over here, i know of a hand full but they seem to be getting more widespread.
when i first did italy i was a little pensive, not speaking italien and all but have learnt some basic stuff, like hello, thank you and some directional stuff but i get by with french and some english and lots of pointing and gestuers.
road signs are practically the same but speed limits are different in some countries, on a single carridgeway here it is 80kms where in the uk it is 70kms but autoroutes are the same 90kms. italy is different with 80kms on the autostrada and the same 70kms on single carridgeways.
i havent any dealings with the gendarms or the polizia but i think i have just been lucky as i have done just under 20000kms in 2 months!
would i want to go back to uk only? not a chance :laughing: :laughing:
any other stuff you want to know just ask.
chris

thanks for the advice i have driven over b4 i was based in germany for five years just looking around for employers now ,cheers all ady :smiley: