Driving on L plates

Would it be legal for me to take someone out with me and let them drive on L plates?

How long have you have had to have held your licence for before you can do this.
Thanks
Mark

You need to have held a full licence for three years, they need a provisional although they don’t need to have passed the theory.

mrpj:
You need to have held a full licence for three years, they need a provisional although they don’t need to have passed the theory.

just to add this correct anwser not worth givin lesson till they pass there thoery as they cannot take a test till they do

So will i be correct in saying that it would be legal to double man with some one who has’nt passed there test,as long as the wagon is displaying L plates?
Thanks
mark

brit,

it’s my understanding that as a learner you are not allowed to pull any load for profit - I guess that would even include a return run empty. Also, there is the little question of insurance :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

JayHoe:
brit,

it’s my understanding that as a learner you are not allowed to pull any load for profit - I guess that would even include a return run empty. Also, there is the little question of insurance :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

If you want tacho exemption then no load can be carried, otherwise I beleive you can carry a load, although I’m not certain.

Yes you can legally carry a load with the permission of your insurance company. I was regularly to be seen delivering on L plates :open_mouth: In an XF with a 45’ fridge on.

with my now former employer,I took a lad out for 2 days last year on L’s,and it was stopped pending confirmation from the insurance company.

However,changes in the company insurance,mean they now do it.

Ken.

teddy_0781:

mrpj:

just to add this correct anwser not worth givin lesson till they pass there thoery as they cannot take a test till they do

However in the DSA’s own literature they do recomend that someone has some experience in an LGV before taking the theory.
In my case i did my driving assesment before taking my theory.
I guess it helps you understand the questions better. Rather than simply memorising the answers.

As for insurance it’s simple a case of whether your company is prepared to pay the additional premuim to cover a learner. Some big firms fleet policies just insure anyone to drive anything, so long as they’re legally allowed to.

JayHoe:
brit,

Don’t tell marlow, then, who used to do training with a working truck…

As others have said, you can pull a load for hire or reward, but you’re not tacho-exempt (unlike a non-load-carrying training vehicle), and you have to be insured (obviously).

And also remember the instructing driver is still on duty time, as he is supervising the learner, so should have a card in the 2nd driver slot in the tacho.