Driving licence rules

Hi all,

after today passing my class 2 test :smiley: :smiley: am i allowed to drive an artic unit solo without a trailer ? , appreciate if you connect to a trailer then you are definately illegal , or do you have to disconnect the lines so as to make it impossible to couple a trailer which effectively puts it back in the poss 7500 kg class as discussed previously on here .I must add that this is totally private not for hire or reward .
any advice greatly appreciated .

This has been asked numerous times before and the answer’s yes. There is no need to disable the fifth wheel etc… and you can even be paid for driving it :slight_smile:

A tractor unit is a category C vehicle, with a trailer it becomes C+E.

Why does this question come up? A unit without a trailer is a glorified car so I guess it’s something to do with poncing about in a unit with mirror shades on and the cb dangling from the roof…

44 Tonne Ton:
Why does this question come up? A unit without a trailer is a glorified car so I guess it’s something to do with poncing about in a unit with mirror shades on and the cb dangling from the roof…

thanks all - appreciated , suprising though just how many experienced folk in this business don’t truly know the answer to that , one said to me " vehicle still capable of coupling a trailer to " - well thats no different to driving a 4x4 with a tow hitch fitted even if you haven’t got the licence for a trailer.

even in this modern day - i still fail to see how you could get done for something you MAY think about doing in their eyes .

the reason i asked was, having a unit standing in the yard rather than it just sit there as an ornament, giving it a bit of use & also getting used to the box prior to me doing class 1 in jan/feb & no - for me its hands free & the good old sun visor :wink:

Ok ,

talked to my driving instructors boss this morning who in turn had this discussion with vosa tech dept - YES it can as has been said driven as is , subject to a class c being held , daft thing - a trailer of no more than 750 kg gross may be towed .

thanks to all who have replied on this forum & the private emails

Funnily enough this has been stickied to the top of this forum for some time.

Look and you shall find.

scourfield:
daft thing - a trailer of no more than 750 kg gross may be towed

Not that daft really, you can pull a trailer up-to 750 kg with a B license so there’s no reason why you wouldn’t be able to tow one with a C licence, not sure how well a Cat C vehicle would handle such a small trailer though :wink:

The answer to the original question is here.

tachograph:
you can pull a trailer up-to 750 kg with a B licence

You’re not American! :laughing:

(You can of course pull more than 750kg with just a B licence, providing the MAM of the vehicle and the MAM of the trailer together does not exceed 3500 kg and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the vehicle. :wink: )

I knew this sticky would be a waste of time. :imp: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: