Driving jobs

Seems like there is no decent companies to drive for. Reading alot of reviews on job sites for a while now, I’ve a couple of chances of a job driving coming of the tools, reviews for all jobs are all the same bad feedback on all long hours poor pay poor planners and licence at risk due to companies not respecting driver. I’m one looking for a job I enjoy get respected I’m having a laugh going into driving.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

There’s good companies out there that will respect you. But, almost by it’s nature, the job is long hours. Poor pay has been a factor for too long but that is slowly improving.

Huge companies will be more likely to treat you like a number, not overpay but will be mostly compliant with decent fleets. Smaller companies may be more sociable, pay and standard of fleet can vary massively. On the whole, most companies are compliant - they would be weeded out otherwise.

It amazes me constantly that there are apparently folks out there that seem to hate the job and everything about it - but they don’t find something else to do. Makes me think that perhaps it’s really not that bad after all. Just the tradition of moaning which has been out there for as long as I can remember - and that’s a long time haha!

Good luck with the job search, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

So be prepared for long shifts and not making a fortune and there’s no reason why you shouldn’t enjoy driving trucks.

You aren’t a truck driver unless you moan aboaut the job, Pete!

Virgin c+e:
Seems like there is no decent companies to drive for. Reading alot of reviews on job sites for a while now, I’ve a couple of chances of a job driving coming of the tools, reviews for all jobs are all the same bad feedback on all long hours poor pay poor planners and licence at risk due to companies not respecting driver. I’m one looking for a job I enjoy get respected I’m having a laugh going into driving.

As Pete says, smaller firms have a completely different culture and that may suit you better. I know there are no reviews on any websites about our firm, but then again, people who are happy in their work, review far less than those with a gripe.

It’s definitely long hours at times at our place we double man, so about once a month there is something like an 18 hour day, other times it’s under 8 hours. Planners are flipping marvellous at our place :wink: , but then again both the TM at the other site and myself have actually driven for a living and it’s unlikely that there is more than two drops a day, European it can be one drop a week. I have nothing but respect fro my drivers and they know it - I don’t go round telling them that, but I ask them their opinion on a new/difficult job and I say thank you if it’s been a tough day.

Smaller firms where people stay and the boss has driven should tick most of your boxes.

Honestly if you read all reviews you will not get any work .50% are from bad people who expect an easy life .Try smaller firms to get started ,Stobart is poor pay ,They can not fill the jobs constantly advertising for a good reason.If you take a holiday you get £8 an hour before tax …

Virgin c+e:

Such a sorry statement to read, albeit factual.

I am afraid that long hours is part and parcel of the deal but crappy planners and those wishing to risk your licence should be driven from the industry. Lazy planners are all to keen to sit up in their ivory towers whilst not giving a damm about their colleague out on the road. Makes me cross.

Virgin c+e:

My personal opinion:

Go out there and knock some doors > make your own experience [emoji4]

If you listen to all the b…t on FB, Indeed etc. you will never find a job or apply for one.
And never listen to any RDC wage crap, if you go by that, they all get £20/hrs and only doing Mo–Fr. jobs. Plus they worked for the SAS etc. before and just doing the odd HGV shift. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

There’s pro‘s and con‘s in every industry and trade.

For me:
I rather work more hours and be paid by the hour than a fixed rate for „whatever hours god sends“. Obviously a max. 40 hour week on a good salary is top but these jobs are hard to find.

Lots of people slag Stobarts off even if they never worked or being for an interview there. They just hate them. Same for lots of other big haulage companies.

Stobarts for example give newbies a start, you get a yearly even little payrise (some little companies pay their staff just above minimum wage and tell them that‘s the big bucks), some drivers stay there and like it.
Get some experience at a big company for a better job somewhere else [emoji57][emoji4]

You won’t walk in the TOP HGV job, it’s all about knowing people and sometimes being lucky to be at the right time in the right place.

Going over your driving hours■■?
– Who owns the driving license > YOU. So if any company wants you doing something illegal > just this times or just to get this certain job done, tell them „It’s my license, I‘m not doing it and taking the risk.“

If you got no shift or driving time left> tell them in advance and tell them if they not gonna care that you will park that truck up and they get it back in the morning, than switch the phone off“

If they yell at you at the phone, just hang up. No reason to be treated like ■■■■.
You could walk out and find a new job on the next day.

But if you take all the ■■■■ and keep moaning but never do anything about it, well you will never evolve.

Most drivers who moan about a place, stay there for decades. Others don’t moan as much. They try to find a solution for an issue or walk. [emoji1303]