Driving Interview

Hi, new to the forum and need a wee bit of advice.

I’m due to go for a second interview (explained later) for an HGV Class 1job.

Couldn’t do a driving assessment on the first interview due to driving regulations, etc so having to do it on second interview.

The problem I have is that as soon as I put my card in my current employer will see I have driven for someone else on a job interview.

I haven’t been in this industry long but this seem crazy to me that I have to put card into do this and my current employer gets to find out. No other industry let’s your your current employer know about job interviews. Is there anyway around this?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

No way around it unfortunately, card has to be in for any driving.
Having said that, there are still things you can do.
Download your card as late as possible before the assessment, the day before if possible, then wait for 28 days until you download it again. Your employer won’t see the information on your card until it is downloaded, and by waiting 28 days you could well have handed in your notice or even left by that time.
Your company might download the data, but it might not be looked at all that much, possibly just flagging up any infringements, in which case it is possible they might not notice another company’s vehicle info on your card. If they do notice, and if they say anything, you could tell them the reasons you have been looking to leave and see if they are willing to do anything to keep you. Depending on the size of the company and how well thought of you are, they might be willing to do something to not lose you, it is still a drivers market after all

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Jand:
The problem I have is that as soon as I put my card in my current employer will see I have driven for someone else on a job interview.

No, they’ll have seen you’ve driven another vehicle. They won’t know whose it was or why you did.

Why are you even bothered mate? :unamused: …this is grown up world not school days.
Your firm would not think twice about getting rid of you if you did something wrong, so it works both ways, they will be used to drivers moving on, coming and going.
You are quite entitled to try and better yourself, and anyway, if your boss does notice it could actually work for you…there is obviously a reason for you wanting to leave, so discuss this with your boss if he picks you up on the fact you have had an assessment, and who knows?.. he may try and keep you by sorting out your problem with his co.

I personally would not let it bother me what they thought.

robroy:
Why are you even bothered mate? :unamused: …this is grown up world not school days.
Your firm would not think twice about getting rid of you if you did something wrong, so it works both ways, they will be used to drivers moving on, coming and going.
You are quite entitled to try and better yourself, and anyway, if your boss does notice it could actually work for you…there is obviously a reason for you wanting to leave, so discuss this with your boss if he picks you up on the fact you have had an assessment, and who knows?.. he may try and keep you by sorting out your problem with his co.

I personally would not let it bother me what they thought.

Exactly this. Employers are well used to drivers going elsewhere and they get the very same drivers doing assesments for them too. Don’t worry about it, let your employer worry over you leaving them.

@Jand…just read your post again and noticed you say you are a newbie,.and that it is your first post on forum… sorry for coming across a bit harsh, just ignore me (but not the advice bit :smiley: .,)
Welcome to forum, and good luck with your next interview. :wink:

Tbf it’s a genuine concern Rob, I had it when I’d decided I look outside of Panic, because I had it cushy, you think ‘what if’ quite a bit, ie what of the job I’m having an assessment at isn’t for me? What if I dont get the job? Etc etc. I had the exact same thought in the end nothing came of it and nothing was said but it was still a legitimate concern.

What is will say to the OP is that you’re obviously keen enough to go back for the second interview and taking the worry away these things are sort if a formality I’ve aways found, so don’t worry about what an employer who will likely soon be a former employer has to say.

As others have said, this industry has a high turnover. It’s almost expected that drivers with ambition will not stay at their first post. You didn’t say whether you’re taking time off as a sickie or something to attend the assessment. If so, your concerns are justified as it ‘could’ lead to disciplinary action. If however it’s in your own time, as long as you can remain legal when working in your current job, it’s none of your employers business what you get up to away from work.
Good luck in your chosen career.

I download my card at the beginning of the shift & end of the shift , though I do go to a different place most days

Why worry,unless your card is downloaded every day your Boss is not going to find out,if your interview is successful its to late to for him to do anything about it.

If you really want the job its a chance you have got to take, to be honest I wouldn’t worry about it.

Thank you all for your feedback.

Firstly I came out sales to this and "secret squirrel " was the name of the game previously, still trying to get my head around a few things in this industry. Like how welcoming RDC are, so cuddly.

The reasons for the change is health and my current employer can’t give me the shift pattern that was recommended by health professionals. Yes, they did recommended a 4 on 4 off would better encourage better future health ( I leave conversation there if that’s OK folks). Current employer if fair and gave me a start 6 months ago so want to be as fair as I can before leaving. I might need them again, you never know.

I’ll have a word and let you know. Thanks again.

robroy:
@Jand…just read your post again and noticed you say you are a newbie,.and that it is your first post on forum… sorry for coming across a bit harsh, just ignore me (but not the advice bit :smiley: .,)
Welcome to forum, and good luck with your next interview. :wink:

@robroy. Don’t worry about and know what you mean. Changed into this job because I was sick if going that extra mile (no pun intended) to please others and it never being enough. There is a health reason for moving so I have to put that first.

I don’t think the card has to be in, although you are kind of held by what the prospective employer is specifying.

In circumstances where you take an empty vehicle but otherwise in that employment you normally take a load, of course you would be in scope. However, a one-off occasion where you are not even being paid and you take an empty vehicle and return to the same location, I don’t think would represent an in-scope journey.

Noremac:
I don’t think the card has to be in, although you are kind of held by what the prospective employer is specifying.

In circumstances where you take an empty vehicle but otherwise in that employment you normally take a load, of course you would be in scope. However, a one-off occasion where you are not even being paid and you take an empty vehicle and return to the same location, I don’t think would represent an in-scope journey.

Wrong

shullbit:

Noremac:

Wrong

Unless the position you are applying for is voluntary i.e. non commercial, then you need your card in.

lolipop:
Why worry,unless your card is downloaded every day your Boss is not going to find out,if your interview is successful its to late to for him to do anything about it.

I never realised there are places where your card is not downloaded every day! Learn something new everyday [emoji2]

stu675:

shullbit:

Noremac:

Wrong

Unless the position you are applying for is voluntary i.e. non commercial, then you need your card in.

There is no exemption for non-commercial carriage in a vehicle above 7.5 tonne anyway. However, the example of an assessment in a vehicle with no load does not involve any sort of carriage at all (commercial or non-commercial).

Jand, always remember they could be only to glad to see the back of you :smiley: which Im sure is not the case.

If they ask why youve driven for someone else tell them its non of their business, provided you havent broken any hours or wtd rules.

Good luck.