Driving in Windy Conditions!

Some outfits don’t allow you to drive with curtains tied back, doors open etc, i think I’d get sacked if I did it. I always have my curtains tight anyway, I believe it reduces parasite/form drag & saves a little derv…

If you can take a spare seat cover with you, you might find you hoop has chewed through the cover when it gets really bad.

In case the worst does happen - make sure everything is tied down and secure in the cab. I’d be well miffed if I was killed by my fridge… :unamused:

…and remember if the wind is behind you then open your cab doors and they will act like a sail and you will get blown to your destination saving £££’s on your fuel costs !! :smiley:

A lad at our place rang in on Saturday to ask if we’re ‘still operating on Monday’. He was shocked to hear that we are, and then informed the office that he ‘doesn’t drive in strong winds’. He’s been with us a long time now, yet the office are actually baffled as to what he does actually do.

Governor!:
Been told if we open curtains & back doors & strap them up it’s against insurance policy and they will not pay out, also some curtainsiders roofs are not designed to take the updraft, if part of roof becomes detached you could be responsible for the damage!

+1 absolutely correct.Also as some have already said if it is that bad pull in and wait.Any decent driver knows when things are getting bad.Don’t they.

Being blown on the windward side is only part of the problem, trailers are also sucked over - as the air comes over the roof of the trailer, it creates low pressure on the leeward side which ‘■■■■■’ the trailer, this coupled with the blowing action will topple the trailer. You need to disrupt this airflow to achieve a little more stability
When I was night trunking with double decked curtain-siders, there would be 3 or 4 of us running together. We’d sit one truck on the inside lane and a second running roughly halfway alongside in lane 2, this breaks the airflow sufficiently and gives a more stable ride. It also considerably negates the gusting effect (so don’t worry about lorry 1 side swiping you)

As said previously, ratchet your curtains as tight as you can, also be aware of cuttings, bridges and exposed sections. As you come out of a sheltered section of road into an exposed bit, you’ll be veering quite quite quickly into another lane.

shuttlespanker:
failing that, pull a flat for a few days :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Nice when you’ve got the choice!

It is always handy when you can blame the weather and not speed :laughing:

Police are now investigating the cause of the accident but one theory is the fierce winds brought in from the Atlantic by Storm St Jude.

Tipper Dave has hit the nail on the head. I remember a good few years ago we had terrible winds, I was taking a 45ft box to Glasgow. Up over shap there must have been 100 vehicles blown over, a few went over in front of me!

Anyway, one of the most important anti blow over preventative methods is just to keep the speed down, as Dave says…don’t fight it and let it drift a little, keep an eye out for open spaces, because this is where your going to get it!!!

If someone else is overtaking you then back off and let them go, you can always drive around them while they’re upside down with their wheels spinning in the air.

I’m with some of the others on the curtain issue, don’t tie them back as the whole trailer can and has in the past been lifted off the ground. Ratchet them closed harder than a brick wall and again keep the speed down.

When driving in snow, maintain momentum an even pressure on the gas pedal and light smooth progressive acceleration, give yourself loads of distance from the vehicle in front and ease off the gas pedal to slow down as opposed to using the brakes…if the tyres become quiet then your probably driving on ice.

And above all DON’T TAILGATE and TAKE YOUR TIME

In really heavy rain (DAYLIGHT ONLY) wear a pair of polaroid sunglasses, makes visibility great. Try it :smiley:

I remember several years ago when I worked for a small haulier, we used to carry polystyrene blocks and cylinders, they were high, and very very light and we often had to cross the A66 side by side and slowly. I had a TK bedford with a 2 axle trailer behind it, the other lads had Leyland Boxers with a 40’ single axle stepframe trailer.