Driving in USA

Anyone know any decent forums for USA truckers as id like to find some info on jobs there.

Info on jobs is the easy part,although their economy is in a ■■■■ state(no pun intended),the hard part is getting into the country.Go there on a regular basis,on first name terms with some of the border patrol,but they still make you feel like a criminal. Try Canada.

Im just thinking about it. Evertime i do a search all i get is the usually blurb about earning this and that. As for getting into the country i get married next month to my girlfriend of 4 years whose a full born yank :smiley:
It will prob never happen but would like to know the truth not what companys like pathways over here tell you.

Should leave the idea alone for the time being,when the President has tv adverts saying how many people down there are on the breadline/benefits it becomes scary.Read in the papers last week,can believe most of whats written here,1 in 4 homeowners in the U.S. are on the verge of repo.Mind you,if the cash is available you can buy a palace in Miami area for a couple of hundred grand.

If you’re soon to be is a Yank then you can get in, it won’t be as easy as jumping out of a Willi Betz trailer in Toddington though :open_mouth: I think Pat Hasler will be able to tell you more as he has done it :wink:

As for working over there, the aforementioned recession has hit trucking very hard, big firms are going bust & there’s a hiring freeze at a lot of firms, the job isn’t all Rubber Duck & 100mph Peterbilts either, you’ll be lucky to get a start at anywhere but a mega carrier, as a trainee which you will be for up to a year you’ll be on crap money & as your mileage rate is lower than the experienced blokes you’ll get all the coast to coast runs, this means you won’t see much of your new bride, you can always work regional or local, but the money is even worse & the trucks are usually old & tired, again Pat Hasler’s your man, he’s got a good job now but if you ask him about some of his experiences before he hit gold you’ll be amazed.

OTR drivers (over the road) are trampers, most of them are out for at least a month, sometimes a hell of a lot longer.

Regional drivers work within 3 or 4 adjacent states & most are away all week, every day is a working day too so many work all weekend.

Local drivers are home most nights, this could be containers from a railhead, someone like Fed-Ex, tankers etc, the problem with these jobs are that they are highly sought after, a lot of truckers have had enough of being away all the time so they snap these up very quickly, many others such as UPS, YRC are union jobs, you have to be a Teamster, don’t quite know how that works, but again Pat could probably tell you.

Personally I wouldn’t work in the USA, I’m working out of Canada now, I get to drive all over the USA, which I love, but in my opinion I get a better deal, our mileage rate for experienced drivers may be a little less, but everything else is much better from what I hear from US based drivers, mind you I could just meet all the whingers, hope I haven’t ■■■■■■ on your fish too much & congratulations on the getting married thing :wink:

LASHHGV:
Anyone know any decent forums for USA truckers as id like to find some info on jobs there.

YES - the big sister site to this one - roundtable.truck.net/ :smiley:

I agree with Mark all the way.

I also think Pat would tell you not to waste your time…

Ta for info. Don’t think it would be for a good few years yet. I drive a truck cos it pays the bills never really been a trucker as such. I enjoy doing the job but as you say the economy everywhere is crap. Behind the counter at Taco Bell it is :grimacing:

LASHHGV:
Ta for info. Don’t think it would be for a good few years yet. I drive a truck cos it pays the bills never really been a trucker as such. I enjoy doing the job but as you say the economy everywhere is crap. Behind the counter at Taco Bell it is :grimacing:

Ey, Dont knock it. My mates lad was an MOT Tester, he is now working at Subway on more money :laughing:

I know I’m replying to an old post here but have just joined the forum and found this thread this evening. I am from the UK and moved to the USA, Florida over 2 years ago. I had my own trucking company in the UK for over 20 years but as you all know, things got hard going, fuel went through the roof, rates didn’t go up and I couldn’t make decent money anymore in the UK so we came to the USA on an E2 visa (does require having funds available to show investment in a business). I have been trucking in the USA for 2 years now, I started my own company and have 2 trucks on the road. There is a lot of work out here and good money to be made. I haven’t had any shortage of work since coming here and I am hopeful that that will continue. I am not one of the “trampers” My maximum out on the road is around 8 days. 3 to 5 days away suits me fine and you can still make money. The longer mileage trips (ie up to my 8 to 10 days away) makes the best money but then I have at least 4 and as many as 7 days off after that. Is it hard going? Of course it is, like trucking in any country but it is paying off for me here and the USA is a wonderful country.
Lashhgv - if you ever do come across here and get your immigration/work authority and if you want to stay in trucking, my advice would be to get your own motor carrier authority and go for it!