Driving In Strong Winds, Should I Be Afraid?

I quite often drive curtain side trailers, trunking from DC to DC, how big an issue can the wind be? I have never drove in a strong wind before and it strikes me that I am basically towing one very big sail around on the back of me with not much to hold it in place especially when returning empty.

Anyone got any helpful advise, tips or experiences to share?

It’s going to depend on the centre of gravity of the load and the weight your pulling. I’d think the heavier, and lower the centre the less likely you are of being blown around too much

NickW88:
It’s going to depend on the centre of gravity of the load and the weight your pulling. I’d think the heavier, and lower the centre the less likely you are of being blown around too much

I was thinking more about when I am returning to the depot empty however one of the regular runs is taking a load from United Biscuits - so it can be a very light load - especially if a lot of the load is Monster Munch, those baked corn snacks hardly weigh anything, love the Pickled Onion flavour though - however I am sceptical that the ‘Monster Munch’ Monster has got so big just by eating these snacks, I think he might be sneaking out to the chippy - I thought I saw him at our chippy once but it turned out to be that ■■■■■■ Mr Blobby - thank god he’s now off the telly and having to scratch a living driving via agency, can’t help but laugh every time I see him at a RDC, with his mucky high viz, blue tooth headset and limp - oh how the mighty have fallen! :laughing: It is surprising how many times I do bump into him so he must, at least, have plenty of work.

Grow a pair!

I’ll get my coat… :smiley:

I’d say light is the issue, and the moment the weather people are talking strong winds, i’ll be calling the planner and passing on the responsibility! :grimacing:

Just crack on does not matter what you do.If your going over then its not your choice and if you think its not safe pass the buck to your office let them deal with the issue you have raised.I was always told to keep goin if your going over does not matter what speed you are doing also i have seen trailers blown over when they are in ferry ports .

What about strapping curtains back if empty ?

With the possibilty of your roof being blown off…

blue estate:
What about strapping curtains back if empty ?

Good idea, I have heard it mentioned before, haven’t seen many do it though but perhaps being a newbie I have just not noticed.

If you are going to tie your curtains back throw ratchet straps over the roof to stop the roof dissappear back down the road.
Tbh if you get your curtains tight as you can should be fine never tied any back and been ok.
If in doubt ring work and pass the responsibility it’s your job to assess the risks best back later than not at all.

We had a notice last year written by Montracon, explaining how to tie the curtains around the posts, trouble is, our Montracon trailers havnt got posts ;so much for that advice) so you’d have to flap about tying/strapping them to the back doors, usually on your own in a howling gale, ■■■■■■■ with rain, as others have said, tight as to can & take it steady, try to stop in a sheltered spot if it gets too hairy & tell the office.
Make sure you’re wearing a seatbelt, being thrown 8ft across a cab is gonna hurt, if you do go over. [emoji6]

1 more quick thing keep everything in your work bag don’t have stuff all over the place easier to get out,having a flask flying about if you go over will hurt a tad.

Daytrunker:
1 more quick thing keep everything in your work bag don’t have stuff all over the place easier to get out,having a flask flying about if you go over will hurt a tad.

• When you need sit on roadside in he rain least you have a wee cuppa tea!

I put a thread in the main section last month if you want some more info from it.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=131380

Interesting that i put a poll on it and out of 92 people 91% hadnt been blown over.

Seems to be if youre unlucky enough to get that gust that hits you, youre going over and theres nithing you can do about it. I drive empty deckers down the M6 and loaded back up to Scotland. Even in slight wind the lane change is possible.

MickyB666:
I quite often drive curtain side trailers, trunking from DC to DC, how big an issue can the wind be? I have never drove in a strong wind before and it strikes me that I am basically towing one very big sail around on the back of me with not much to hold it in place especially when returning empty.

Anyone got any helpful advise, tips or experiences to share?

Might not seem very proffesional but after many years of driving curtainsiders round the country I suggest you carry this in the cab :smiley:

LOL. Should always be carried - so many uses but we wont go there.

Like Paul, I’ve done a mile or two and never had a problem. Use your noddle and slow down to a speed where you feel you have control. Not rocket science really.

Worst case I had was grown up gales in the Carpathian Alps with an empty box trailer. Joy! But got home unscathed. I think the ones you see laying on their side have possibly not adjusted their speed to deal with the conditions. Either that, or extremely unlucky.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Like Paul, I’ve done a mile or two and never had a problem. Use your noddle and slow down to a speed where you feel you have control. Not rocket science really.

Worst case I had was grown up gales in the Carpathian Alps with an empty box trailer. Joy! But got home unscathed. I think the ones you see laying on their side have possibly not adjusted their speed to deal with the conditions. Either that, or extremely unlucky.

While I thought slowing down in wind would been common sense, I used have do that when Driving a Tesco Dot Com 3.5ton van!

Peter Smythe:

I dropped to 40mph at shap in last months winds. Other trucks were flying passed me, some matching me. I guess it all comes with experience.

if your in doubt,get confirmation from the office …or grow a pair and keep er lit like everyone else is doing around you…sitting at 40 or 60 youl go over or not.usually its the night trunkers that suffer on the m6 etc as there high volume/low weight.just batter on after the guy in front,or if your going over thelwall or similar,double up with the guy in the nearside and hold each other up…ive been up on one side of wheels numerous times,but never over yet in years of just belting on and ■■■■■■■■ bricks.leave yourself room to drift over a lane or hard shoulder if its happening round about you and go with the flow,that way you wont need to hold er up against the wind. :open_mouth:

I spent years driving from J40 to J36 in all weathers which seems to be one of the turn-over hotspots, and considering the number of trucks which use that route per day, the worst I can remember is 6 trucks going over between Penrith and Kendal, and that was with 80mph forecast gales - likely there are that many a minute using the M6 at night even in ■■■■■■■■

One thing I can say from a currently non-truck driver is don’t be tempted to go off-pieste, eg: over A6 vs M6 as the motorways tend to be a lot more forgiving than A roads when it comes to predictable side winds. Some of them can send a car over the edge never mind a truck!

That was hairy at times tonight going down m74/m6 with a completely empty curtainside decker. Coming back with a full box trailer wasnt as bad.

Im not looking forward to thursday into friday. Think the truck will need a new seat friday morning.