Driving in Germany

Is there a guide or something to help me understand the toll system. I’ve been getting loads of different opinions of what I can and can’t do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toll-collect.de/en
Is that what youre after ? Or a more everyday step by step DIY guide? Assuming youre not having the machines hard wired into your tacho, and you`ll be doing it all yourself at the terminals not on-line??

Had a letter this week from Germany a €15 fine for doing 33.7 in a 30 :cry:

Punchy Dan:

Was that from a camera or can the built in box catch you? :open_mouth: I’ve just had a box (and spaceship in the windscreen) put in but haven’t been over with it yet.

A.

Franglais:
Toll Collect | Truck toll in Germany
Is that what youre after ? Or a more everyday step by step DIY guide? Assuming youre not having the machines hard wired into your tacho, and you`ll be doing it all yourself at the terminals not on-line??

more general. Been told you have to exit the motorways at the correct junction not before or after etc. Then someone says you can as long as it’s not onto another motorway.

Its not just motorways that are subject to tolls now. Some other routes are included now, and theyre rolling it out to all major roads. As I understand it you can only run on toll roads if you have a “box”, or you have prepaid/booked that route. So leaving a toll road early onto a non-toll road shouldn`t incur a penalty, but being on a section or alternate toll road will be subject to penalties. If you know half way through a trip that you will have to divert or whatever, you can get a refund on the unused part of your ticket, and then book a fresh trip from where you are.

Anyone wants to correct any errors, feel free.

IMHO its a horrible system, but it wont be changed anytime soon. The boxes may make it easy, but are a major expense for us infrequent visitors.

When I did it a few weeks ago it was a case of stopping at a fuel station or truckstop/autohof before hitting the German border and playing with the toll machine. You start with basics, vehicle registration, country of origin, euro 4/5/6 whatever and how many axles. We were just transiting threw to Austria so it was a case of putting in the town nearby on the Belgium side and then picking the exit town for Austria. The machine then makes a preferred route, you can then move it about like adding a drop into a Google map route until you get what you want. We paid using the DKV cards and it prints out tickets the size of a rail ticket and it has the route printed on it stating the junctions and roads you have agreed to.

It says on the ticket I think about it not being the end of the road if you miss a junction and so on.

Would rather we had a box like Belgium and Austria. France you have to stop at tolls and in Hungary it’s similar to Germany. Much rather just plugging a box in.

My company paid online but all I got was this

Is all you can do is it do the best way you can German police and bag(vosa) always seem to find a problem personally I have always found them ok.
I get tax to the junction I need then try and work times out of wen I’m coming back on motorway and get it at services before I come of if that makes sense.all motorway services have machine and all autohofs and a lot of garages especially garage aral

When you use till machine zoom right in on map there is a lot more smaller stretches of roads that have tolls when you have finished paying the first ticket is the receipt always wait for the second ticket it takes a bit longer.
If you are using venlo border i think there is someone there to help you.

Adonis.:

Punchy Dan:

Was that from a camera or can the built in box catch you? :open_mouth: I’ve just had a box (and spaceship in the windscreen) put in but haven’t been over with it yet.

A.

It was a small grey car on a pavement ,unmanned ,and a dark square in the windscreen that flashed me.

pickandmix:

If your company pays online, then you wont need to visit the MAUT machines, so you will have no physical ticket. You will need to tell your office if you need to vary the route, so they can modify your online booking. If you need to go off your booked route, and your office isnt open etc, then you do have the option to buy a ticket for your new route from a machine though, to keep it legal.
That booking appears to take you from the border to Koln? Assume they got another booking done to get you to next points too?

Franglais:

pickandmix:

If your company pays online, then you wont need to visit the MAUT machines, so you will have no physical ticket. You will need to tell your office if you need to vary the route, so they can modify your online booking. If you need to go off your booked route, and your office isnt open etc, then you do have the option to buy a ticket for your new route from a machine though, to keep it legal.
That booking appears to take you from the border to Koln? Assume they got another booking done to get you to next points too?

koln was were I was going. Doesn’t seem to say which exit though. I was following someone as it was my first time but might not be so fortunate next time

pickandmix:

Franglais:

pickandmix:

koln was were I was going. Doesn’t seem to say which exit though. I was following someone as it was my first time but might not be so fortunate next time

Yep, I thought that too. Only takes you to the autobahn junction (Dreieck) doesnt it? At least you can blame the office for any ■■■■ ups and mistakes I spose.

Boy oh boy…

Was I lucky when I did Germany all those years ago. I did one tankshein, tankeshine what ever it was called and then they stopped doing that. I just drove around Germany like I would in the UK.

Financial penalties for missing a junction? Only the Hun could think that one up.

yourhavingalarf:
Boy oh boy…

Was I lucky when I did Germany all those years ago. I did one tankshein, tankeshine what ever it was called and then they stopped doing that. I just drove around Germany like I would in the UK.

Financial penalties for missing a junction? Only the Hun could think that one up.

The rest of the job there is still mostly OK. Pretty law abiding, “ein ordnen” (?) and everyone merges in order. Most everyone follows roadworks speed limits, but the following distances may be too short. Truly not a user friendly system though.

In Germany a police officer is called ‘arshloch’, but in the deferential society that is Germany, the correct way to address a police officer is ‘Herr arshloch’.

the nodding donkey:
In Germany a police officer is called ‘arshloch’, but in the deferential society that is Germany, the correct way to address a police officer is ‘Herr arshloch’.

And would a superior German police officer be a Herr Dokter Arshloch?? I believe we now have at least one “Dr” on the site, so wonder if they have much more in common too?