Driving in France

I wonder how it will effect your didgi card as that expires after 5 years to wether you will need to do the lot

My French issued digi card has my UK driving licence number on it, One area I think could be a bit grey is the medical, in France these are done every 5 years from the beginning unlike the UK at the beginning then every 5 years from your 45th birthday

When I handed in all the paperwork to change over the chap at the desk commented that my c1e expiry date could not be right as it goes up to my 70th birthday and should be the same date as my CE. I didn’t bother to try and explain :slight_smile:

Tim85:

I wonder how it will effect your didgi card as that expires after 5 years to wether you will need to do the lot

My French issued digi card has my UK driving licence number on it, One area I think could be a bit grey is the medical, in France these are done every 5 years from the beginning unlike the UK at the beginning then every 5 years from your 45th birthday

When I handed in all the paperwork to change over the chap at the desk commented that my c1e expiry date could not be right as it goes up to my 70th birthday and should be the same date as my CE. I didn’t bother to try and explain :slight_smile:

sounds like it will be easier to shortly before renewal put your licence to a uk address do the renewal then change to french address again lol

TBH if you work for a decent firm over here on a full-time contract they’ll sort out all the legislative stuff for you, from medicals and tacho card renewal to FCO training. It’s not a bad life at all, as long as you can put up with the moaning!

My uncle has got holiday house nr Gorron it’s out in the fields but only 5 minutes from the nearest village it’s really nice and the house was not much money at all ,I could easily make it suitable for a lorry as there’s a large barn with it too ,there are some large fleets in the area ,I often wonder if they would take me on if moved out there with my unit .

Craig 111:
TBH if you work for a decent firm over here on a full-time contract they’ll sort out all the legislative stuff for you, from medicals and tacho card renewal to FCO training. It’s not a bad life at all, as long as you can put up with the moaning!

The company I work for paid for my tacho card even though I was not on a permanent contract, I have just recently had my medical done as I am in the process of swapping over my driving licence, I ask the doctor for a receipt and he was quite surprised and told me there were not many companies that reimbursed the medical cost these days.

T Dan, I have no experience of trying what you are suggesting! but knowing the french and their regulations if sounds to me it could be a bureaucratic nightmare! but I will leave someone else who might know more to comment properly

We was in France in October , and while walking to the boulangerie (bakers) on Sunday morning there was a fridge motor parked on the pavement outside their house with an extension lead running from it to the garage besides the house. I could see that happening in the uk, it was in a village though. Must admit it looks a better way of life in sw France.

Have been driving for a French company and before that in Belgium for 10 years, Although I live in Yorkshire I am on French contract which is much better than Englis cintract.
Would recommend it to anyone. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

How did you guys get on with the fimo etc, was the english version accepted in France?

i live in Vendée and looking to go back on the road over here…thinking of going back to England to do the dcpc as i think it would be easier than doing the fimo…

panman85:
How did you guys get on with the fimo etc, was the english version accepted in France?

i live in Vendée and looking to go back on the road over here…thinking of going back to England to do the dcpc as i think it would be easier than doing the fimo…

You may be able to do the short FCO (5 days 35hours), in theory, if you can prove you have been employed professionally in the last 10 years, in practise it might be difficult to persuade them though !! Where are you in the Vendee?

Thanks for the answer Tim85,

i’ve called a traning company at La Roche and she said i had to do the fimo as i’ve not driven for over 5 years (about 8 years ago was the last time) and don’t have a valid drivers cpc (had licence since 1994) … thinking of going back to blighty and doing the dcpc as i believe it’s european and therefore valid in France…my french isn’t that bad and i have considered doing the fimo to get upto scratch with the rules over here but the price is well hefty at a minimum of 1800€

i live in Olonne sur mer at the side of Les Sables D’olonne, if your ever in the area :wink:

panman85:
Thanks for the answer Tim85,

i’ve called a traning company at La Roche and she said i had to do the fimo as i’ve not driven for over 5 years (about 8 years ago was the last time) and don’t have a valid drivers cpc (had licence since 1994) … thinking of going back to blighty and doing the dcpc as i believe it’s european and therefore valid in France…my french isn’t that bad and i have considered doing the fimo to get upto scratch with the rules over here but the price is well hefty at a minimum of 1800€

i live in Olonne sur mer at the side of Les Sables D’olonne, if your ever in the area :wink:

Everything I have read says 10 years

http://www.cdg11.fr/pole-sante/hygiene-securite-du-travail/informations/Guide_FIMO.pdf

Makes for interesting reading, think i will print this out and call round to see them, my french is much better face to face than on the telephone :wink:

i would also have to contact my old employer for the proof of employment as i have nothing :frowning:

TBH if you can spare the time to nip back to the UK for a week it’s probably easiest, and much cheaper, just to do the UK DCPC and work over here on that. The driver shortage is hitting France just as it is in UK, so you probably wouldn’t struggle to get work if you’re a bit flexible in your attitude and don’t mind a challenge.

Welcome on board, good to see another French-based driver on here :wink:

I love driving in France too! :sunglasses: it means I’m off for a few weeks fishing in LE francais :laughing:

Must admit I like driving in France as well, there seems more space. My other half squashed the idea of a couple of days a week driving in France, still can dream. Haha

looking at going back to do the dcpc but think it may not work out as apparently you have to be resident in the country where you take the training :frowning: … Maybe doing the french fco isn’t a bad idea as that should get me up to speed a bit with the french way of things…

i love driving over here as like you say there is more ‘space’ lol… too many people in England blocking up the roads :slight_smile: …never thought that i would miss being a ‘king of the road’ so much :smiley: