Driving in Florida

Hello.

I’m married with a child to an American gal and she wants to move back to the Florida, near Orlando. We have spent a lot of time out there and even got married there in February after being together for 7 years.

We have nearly completed the application for mine and my daughters passports and will be getting them through within the month.

I’ve been driving C+E for just over 2 years now. I know that I’d have to re-take my tests but I have a question…

Will I be taken seriously as a driver with experience due to my UK driving or will I find it hard getting ‘truck’ work due having just passed my licence in the states?

A lot of driving jobs I’ve seen advertised in the states have asked for 1 or 2 years experience. Do you think my UK driving experience will be taken in to account?

I could always find other work I guess but I want to continue driving if possible. I’ll be in no immediate rush to find work when we get there as we have reasonable funds to cover us, but I obviously will need work eventually.

If you has been down this road, please could they let me know how it went for you.

Paul.

you will get a job no problem…be thinking this way though …there are a lot of American trucking companies that are crap to work for…yes I know …in my opinion. Take your time to research who’s who and what they are about…go to the US truknet site and other US forums…this will help you form your own opinion and do your best to get it right first time. Be selective, even arrogant, but don’t sell yourself short.
small and local might work for you to start.

and one last thing Paul, I was reading your thread in the professional drivers forum…never take your fists to a knife fight…never take a knife to a gun fight…the latter seems to apply more here… good luck.

I would think it may help you, as they might like to employ a Limey for novelty value.

Most drivers who went to Canada are only there because they could not get a green card for America and are hoping to get in the back door.

One thing though I would look sharp and go, because if you get done for assault on a Pole, them godamn yanks wont have you.

Whilst doing some training in Orlando, I popped down to the test centre and did my car test. I had my hire car and they just wanted to know it was insured, did some multichoice questions on a computer. Had no idea on some of the questions like DUI, so just guessed them. Then it was a ride round in their off road test area and that was it passed. Even came out with my drivers licence there and then. Far too easy.

Thanks for your replies chaps, it makes me feel a bit more positive about the move - mainly instigated by my wife.

Thankfully I don’t have a criminal record but I take the point about assault on the pole. Ironically, I left with a shake of the hand and a pat on the shoulder by the original police man that turned up - it kind of restored some repect for the police again.

Of course it’s daft to take on a knife with fists, gun with knife etc, but we all have tempers and sometimes they can get the better of you. Unfortunately I’ve aggravated an old injury to my hand but hopefully it will clear up soon.

Guns frighten me, so I’d never mess with someone who could be armed. I spent 9 years in the army and still anything that goes bang frightens the hell out of me!

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi There, just got back on this forum after having been off for some time and spotted your Q. I returned from USA last year (Yes i made a mistake and will return soon) If this helps, I spent about 4 years with Arnold Transportation. They have a base in Jacksonville which isn’t too far from Orlando. All i can say is that they were good for me though obviously you just have to find the right company that suits you. I ended up buying my own truck from them and was very happy with what they had to offer regarding home time. They have a South East division which should get you at least 2000 miles a week but will probably be more. This isn’t bad as they will get you home every weekend. They have Freightliner trucks, Century’s Colorado’s etc. They also have a ew Mack trucks, day cabs and sleepers. Try to avoid these beasts if you want to keep hold of your spine! There is a flatbed division but it’s just too ■■■■ hot in the summer to mess with that. I can tell you other companies that I would personally avoid but this is not the righ place for me to comment. If you want to e-mail me then feel free to do so and I will gladly give you all the help i can.

Thanks for the info Simoncdl - well appreciated. I’ve PM’d you.

Paul.

Another good company is Tidewater ,they’re also in jacksonville.And if you never want to go home you can try Indian River or Byrnum,both foodgrade tankers from Florida