Driving in Canada

Anyone know if your UK HGV licence is valid on a temp basis in canada? I want to take a shot at the Ice roads in the northwest territories.

Unfortunatley your UK licence means nothing over here. You would have to take the Canadian Class 1 test, and thats after you have transfered your UK licence to get a Canadian Car licence.

But to do that you would need to be able to prove you are a resident in whichever province you were looking to work from, and each has different rules etc for drivers. You would also need to get a TWP (Temporary Work Permit) to be able to work, and would probably find none of the ice road hauliers would take on someone with no N. American Experience.

You & almost all the rest of them on here :grimacing:

Try the Ex Pat drivers thread they’ll put you right off :laughing:

I had to take a test in Canada well 3 tests, air brake then pre-trip test then you drive the truck test, you have to cash your UK licence in to gain your Canadian entitlement then once you’ve passed.

I did hear someone say He drove for 60 days or something on his UK licence but He was a farmer so who’d know.

Bob The Dog on the Ex Pat forums your man to ask He often drives on frozen ponds but has a tailored suit to fit his testicles in :laughing:

As fly sheet said, go back to the board index then look a couple of sections down, you will find the ex-pats drivers section.

There is more than enough info on there concerning working in Canadia!! :laughing: :laughing:

Enjoy!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

BigJon:
Unfortunatley your UK licence means nothing over here. You would have to take the Canadian Class 1 test, and thats after you have transfered your UK licence to get a Canadian Car licence.

But to do that you would need to be able to prove you are a resident in whichever province you were looking to work from, and each has different rules etc for drivers. You would also need to get a TWP (Temporary Work Permit) to be able to work, and would probably find none of the ice road hauliers would take on someone with no N. American Experience.

And is that even working for 2 or 3 months??

just go on a holiday there am sure there are companies that employ you moonlighting, but as for ice roads i think your best sticking to watching the program they dont like americans driving there roads never mind a brit with no experience

surely there is nothing wrong in me trying to work out there, whats the worst they could say?? sorry your not able to work here, sorry we dont employ drivers from outside canada. Big deal as i will still have my job in the uk, I have been watching the programmes but this is all about the experience and earning money because lest face it thats what we are all here for. So can I ask that you refrain from commenting unless you know for sure, or know who to contact.

DABenji:
or know who to contact.

Livin’ the dream :wink:

tlicholandtran.com/careers/winterroad.asp

lol just emailed them about 15mins ago,

DABenji:
… So can I ask that you refrain from commenting unless you know for sure, or know who to contact.

Pay attention newmercman if you`re reading this!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Go over with a job offer and an LMO on the PNP scheme.
Pass your class 1 and get some experience and they may let you run some loads up to Yellowknife, ready for the proper drivers like Lisa to run up to the mines LOL :smiley:

ok ill be the bad guy …answer …not a hope in hell/…
you need to get a temporary work permit,sit your test s, the company has to apply for a labour market opinion after advertising for 3 months with no canadians interested… whether you want to work 10mins or 10yrs…
yellowknife …the rate for the ice rds have droped big time due to wanabees wanting to work for f all.! fact,…
manitoba/ontario ask BTD
if you work cash in hand and caught up north ,your arse wont touch the ground in a cell then deported …the company ,fine & thrown of contract… fact .
There was talk of a company run by an englishman near the happy rock (hint) that had uk drivers running on uk licences for 89days and on the 90th taking the test…big but, they had a twp&lmo.allegedly…
remember the ice rds to the yellowknife mines are ran by the mines .and you play by there rules…

As will I be, Jimbo.

Bottom line is this. You have absolutely no idea what you are asking for. You saw Lisa with her muesli bars and sleeping bag… What you didn’t notice is that every other scene she has changed her clothes and changed her hair style.

Take my word for it, as someone who actually does know, that it is nothing like you see on the telly. You have no concept of trying to breathe -55 air, none at all. You have no idea how spooky it is to watch water jetting up 30 feet away from your 37 tonne truck because the weight you are imposing is making the ice sink. You have no clue about watching a crack run from beneath your truck and running ahead of you.

And no way of earth would ANY of the companies that run to the diamond mines employ an unknown expat on the fly.

You are in cloud cuckoo land. I suggest you think about doing something else.

is it just me thats noticed its getting more and more pointless asking questions on this forum ■■

the mans question , how ever daft anybody thinks it is , was answered in the second post , yet some felt the need to try making the bloke look like a thick shoolboy .

just today i posted a serious question that i need urgent help with and then changed my mind due to not wanting the crap that will follow …
just off the top of my head i COULD if i wanted too name at least three members on here that need to read what they post before they submit it …

cor blimey some folk need to grow up … the man asked if his licence would be valid , he never asked if he lived in cloud cuckoo land .

oh and before anybody decides they want an argument i strongly recommend you find someone else , i’m just not interested …

bobthedog:
As will I be, Jimbo.

Bottom line is this. You have absolutely no idea what you are asking for. You saw Lisa with her muesli bars and sleeping bag… What you didn’t notice is that every other scene she has changed her clothes and changed her hair style.

Take my word for it, as someone who actually does know, that it is nothing like you see on the telly. You have no concept of trying to breathe -55 air, none at all. You have no idea how spooky it is to watch water jetting up 30 feet away from your 37 tonne truck because the weight you are imposing is making the ice sink. You have no clue about watching a crack run from beneath your truck and running ahead of you.

And no way of earth would ANY of the companies that run to the diamond mines employ an unknown expat on the fly.

You are in cloud cuckoo land. I suggest you think about doing something else.

Now you’ve got me interested :sunglasses: :laughing: :grimacing:

bowser:
is it just me thats noticed its getting more and more pointless asking questions on this forum ■■

the mans question , how ever daft anybody thinks it is , was answered in the second post , yet some felt the need to try making the bloke look like a thick shoolboy .

just today i posted a serious question that i need urgent help with and then changed my mind due to not wanting the crap that will follow …
just off the top of my head i COULD if i wanted too name at least three members on here that need to read what they post before they submit it …

cor blimey some folk need to grow up … the man asked if his licence would be valid , he never asked if he lived in cloud cuckoo land .

oh and before anybody decides they want an argument i strongly recommend you find someone else , i’m just not interested …

Good post, far too many bullies on here. It’s not a nice place to be sometimes, especially if the ‘been there, done it’ brigade are on. They gang up and 'dis you big time if you don’t know it all or aren’t in their little ‘group’.

bobthedog:
As will I be, Jimbo.

The British invented just the right thing for that job years ago and it could probably do those runs as a lake ferry all year round but it’ll probably take a while for the Canadians to realise it. :open_mouth: :laughing:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2A8GuURzr8&feature=related

Carryfast:

bobthedog:
As will I be, Jimbo.

The British invented just the right thing for that job years ago and it could probably do those runs as a lake ferry all year round but it’ll probably take a while for the Canadians to realise it. :open_mouth: :laughing:

youtube.com/watch?v=F2A8GuUR … re=related

Maybe we are a bit behind the times in Canada,one of the many appealing characteristics of the place.How many British people would like a slower paced lifestyle ? Lots probably :slight_smile:

Strange user name if thats your philosophy in life Chap :laughing:

Not bullies as far as I can see, just telling it like it is.

Best to hear it from the horses mouth even if they’re not telling him what he wants to hear which is: he has no chance which let’s face it is the case for a 3 month jolly.

If the OP wants to do it full time then go for it, but you will have to go through all the rigmorole that has been posted and even then you probably won’t get on them.

You’d have to be off your nut to want to run the ice roads in the first place, can’t see the appeal myself, leave the nutters to it!