Driving in Canada.

Ok so im new to this site and if this post is in the wrong place feel free to move it. The reason im posting it here is because there seems to be the most contributors that could help me. Im an irish truck driver with domestic and european driving experience,box vans, fridges, flats and low loader work. My problem is that since the recession hit i can no longer make money and im talking 90 euro for 15 hour shift and 30 euro for what seems to be called layovers here. And being an irish company the law tends to bend frequently as well!! I see that a well known canadian company are coming accross the pond on a recruitment drive and i would like some honest feedback on driving in canada. Myself and my wife would like to try it with a view to getting residency in the future, something we have been thinking about for some time. Things i need to know would be realistic honest pay rates, legality of moving companys, do some companies look bad on your cv,things like this. Thanks in advance for any help. Kit.

kitbuilder123:
Ok so im new to this site and if this post is in the wrong place feel free to move it. The reason im posting it here is because there seems to be the most contributors that could help me. Im an irish truck driver with domestic and european driving experience,box vans, fridges, flats and low loader work. My problem is that since the recession hit i can no longer make money and im talking 90 euro for 15 hour shift and 30 euro for what seems to be called layovers here. And being an irish company the law tends to bend frequently as well!! I see that a well known canadian company are coming accross the pond on a recruitment drive and i would like some honest feedback on driving in canada. Myself and my wife would like to try it with a view to getting residency in the future, something we have been thinking about for some time. Things i need to know would be realistic honest pay rates, legality of moving companys, do some companies look bad on your cv,things like this. Thanks in advance for any help. Kit.

Layover pay is not ‘overnight money’.
Layover pay is when you are willing and able to work, but you are left sitting (even Bison are advertising that they will pay for snow delays now) so, as you are paid by the mile at most companies, you will have no earnings. A decent company will pay you layover for that.
H&R are back in the UK recruiting in Feb, and advertising in Truckstop News now, so do some forum/blog reading, because they may not deliver what they promise.

“And being an irish company the law tends to bend frequently as well!!”

You WILL bend the law on your un-numbered, loose leaf log books if you go to Canada with a disreputable company.

Hi Kit,

There’s no problem with where you’ve put your post mate, cos it’s spot-on just where it is.

For a bit of balance you may wish to read this thread in another place.

britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=670969

Hi Kit;

As with anywhere to alot of research before you take the plunge. Places like Ontario, and British Columbia have a high cost of living. Mantioba, Saskatchewan, and parts of Alberta have a lower cost of living. Pay varies with the type of work. You will make more doing deck work than you will, van, due to the tarping ect. I have seen per mile wages from .32 to .46. It depend alot on the company and how they treat the drivers. Some van and reefer companies will pay a higher rate per mile due to drop times, others will not. If you are applying to a company post a message here and see what others who have worked there have to say. It is not the best companies that hire on Work permits but that isnt to say you cant use them to gain access to Canada, and look for a better job here if that one is not woring out. There has been alot said about companies who will write a contract that will require payback of their costs if you quit. According to Canadian law as long as you are paying them something they cannot go after you. I suggested to one person who was told by BFS that he would have to pay beack 3500.00 in training costs to make payments of 5.00 per month, they cant do anything they are getting paid back. Make sure you check into the company and that you are actually going to get the miles not sit around waiting all the time. There are alot of guys here that have made it, my boyfriend is one of them.

Kit, you could arrive here as a dollar millionaire (if you have a house to sell in Ireland), but when the money runs out, you may find with some companies that the income is way lower than the outgoings of your new life.

On the other forum which was referred to earlier, I posted this…

My positives for H&R…

They get us over there quickly.

They sort the paperwork/medicals out quickly.

Our full time truck was clean and comfortable, also very reliable (but not the tri-pac).

They paid all my mileage accurately (contrary to some who say they were fiddled).

Unfortunately, the negatives outweighed the positives for me.

One reply stated…

Mick I agree with what you said, but my OH and I did our own PR application and medicals though.
My OH loved his job working for H&R, and was grateful for the chance to emigrate.
Once that PR came through thats when the problems started, my OH miles were dropped, work loads (lack of should i say), when he did get a load to deliver, he was sat for 2/3 days waiting for a reload back to calgary or Lethbridge, then would he be sat at home for 4/5 days at a time waiting(not his choice) for a load to go back out on the road etc. Its not just my OH this has happened to other PR’d drivers too. After months of this he finally left H&R, as bills dont get paid when your not earning.
He genuinely felt that H&R did not have to live upto the PNP criteria anymore (guaranteed pay, miles etc), as once you have your PR the company do not care how they treat you. He is happy for those who are new and have had a good experience with this company, but ask the same question when PR comes through, will they love it then■■? Only time will tell!!

Yes, do your research BTW: One of the cheery, positive, pro H&R posters on that other forum is back in the UK!

mickfly:

kitbuilder123:

Layover pay is not ‘overnight money’.
Layover pay is when you are willing and able to work, but you are left sitting (even Bison are advertising that they will pay for snow delays now) so, as you are paid by the mile at most companies, you will have no earnings. A decent company will pay you layover for that.
H&R are back in the UK recruiting in Feb, and advertising in Truckstop News now, so do some forum/blog reading, because they may not deliver what they promise.

“And being an irish company the law tends to bend frequently as well!!”

You WILL bend the law on your un-numbered, loose leaf log books if you go to Canada with a disreputable company.

Thanks mick. I understood the lay over pay. At the mo i can do a dutch trip for instance, 2 days out @ 96/day, 2 days waiting to backload at 30/day and 2 days back @96/day. Under450 euro for 6 days. Cant make it pay anymore

mickfly:
Kit, you could arrive here as a dollar millionaire (if you have a house to sell in Ireland), but when the money runs out, you may find with some companies that the income is way lower than the outgoings of your new life.

My positives for H&R…

Our full time truck was clean and comfortable, also very reliable (but not the tri-pac).

They paid all my mileage accurately (contrary to some who say they were fiddled).

One reply stated…

Mick I agree with what you said, but my OH and I did our own PR application and medicals though.
My OH loved his job working for H&R, and was grateful for the chance to emigrate.
Once that PR came through thats when the problems started, my OH miles were dropped, work loads (lack of should i say), when he did get a load to deliver, he was sat for 2/3 days waiting for a reload back to calgary or Lethbridge, then would he be sat at home for 4/5 days at a time waiting(not his choice) for a load to go back out on the road etc. Its not just my OH this has happened to other PR’d drivers too. After months of this he finally left H&R, as bills dont get paid when your not earning.
He genuinely felt that H&R did not have to live upto the PNP criteria anymore (guaranteed pay, miles etc), as once you have your PR the company do not care how they treat you. He is happy for those who are new and have had a good experience with this company, but ask the same question when PR comes through, will they love it then■■? Only time will tell!!

Yes, do your research BTW: One of the cheery, positive, pro H&R posters on that other forum is back in the UK!

Thanks mickfly. Question though, you say everything was rosey until you got PR but after getting this were you not in a position to look for another employer?

You have to remember when you read these driver’s forums that most of the people that succeed don’t come on here telling everyone how well they are doing. They are getting on with their new lives and have no need to tell us about their experiences. They move on and leave us behind. Most forums are ~ 75% moans about something or other.

On the other hand, those that tried and failed because they didn’t have the adaptability to suit the new working conditions and the nouse to keep their gobs shut, have a burning need to tell everyone that they aren’t failures, they were screwed by their employer, so for years they yammer on about how they were singled out, insulted and victimised. But then they search for other failures to make themselves feel better about screwing up. They don’t want anyone else to succeed either because that dents their wounded pride even more. They are unable to move on and it eats them up for years because deep down they know they could have made it if they had been just a teensy bit smarter.

Big Jon’s dad:

Thanks BJD. It can all get a bit handbags on this topic cant it? Seems to me that H+R is what you make it. Ive given last 2 days reading everything i can about moving. Plan is to rent the house out here and give it a year and see what happens.

You have to remember when you read these driver’s forums that most of the people that succeed don’t come on here telling everyone how well they are doing. They are getting on with their new lives and have no need to tell us about their experiences. They move on and leave us behind

I disagree there are people who post here that have suceeded just not at the company they came over with after PR you can work for anyone you so desire.
What has been said here numerous times is yes use the company to get here, put up with the crap for a while get your PR if you dont want to keep going with the company then there are alot of others who are looking for drivers. If oyu can put up with sitting a bit and otherwise like the job well you have to decide if you are sitting for too long. you can do quite well working 260 days out of the year. When it gets to where you are sitting waiting for loads for 2-3 days well maybe look at where you want to be.

Brentanna:

You have to remember when you read these driver’s forums that most of the people that succeed don’t come on here telling everyone how well they are doing. They are getting on with their new lives and have no need to tell us about their experiences. They move on and leave us behind

I disagree there are people who post here that have suceeded just not at the company they came over with after PR you can work for anyone you so desire.
What has been said here numerous times is yes use the company to get here, put up with the crap for a while get your PR if you dont want to keep going with the company then there are alot of others who are looking for drivers. If oyu can put up with sitting a bit and otherwise like the job well you have to decide if you are sitting for too long. you can do quite well working 260 days out of the year. When it gets to where you are sitting waiting for loads for 2-3 days well maybe look at where you want to be.

Spot on advice.

Get there, get stuck in, move on when it suits you to.

Sure there are people who succeeded that post here, but the majority of TFW/PNP/PR candidates that succeed, you never hear from again once they settle into their new lives.

Some of the dropouts and deadbeats that didn’t make the grade stick around and ■■■■ on everybody’s parade.

It’s like the drunken bum that staggers around outside the pub telling everyone to stay out of the pub, because he thinks alchohol will hurt you.

kitbuilder123:

Big Jon’s dad:

Thanks BJD. It can all get a bit handbags on this topic cant it? Seems to me that H+R is what you make it. Ive given last 2 days reading everything i can about moving. Plan is to rent the house out here and give it a year and see what happens.

Oh yes, I like needling the village whiner. :smiling_imp:

If you can go without burning all your bridges at home, see if it works for you, look to move jobs if you can, return home if it isn’t for you. Just look upon it as an experience if you have to come back. If you really can’t go without burning your bridges then it may not be the best move for you, but in the end you must make up your own mind, not let someone on a forum influence you too much.

Good luck, and enjoy the life out there if you go.

kitbuilder123:

mickfly:

My positives for H&R…

One reply stated…

Thanks mickfly. Question though, you say everything was rosey until you got PR but after getting this were you not in a position to look for another employer?

No, I didn’t say everything was rosy…that was a reply to me.

Sorry mickfly i read it wrong but same question. If you go over as a TFW or on a PNP basis are you stuck to one employer until you gain PR or are you free to move if you can find someone else willing to take you on?

kitbuilder123:
Sorry mickfly i read it wrong but same question. If you go over as a TFW or on a PNP basis are you stuck to one employer until you gain PR or are you free to move if you can find someone else willing to take you on?

You are free to move on if another employer can get a positive LMO for you, which you would then use to change your Temporary Work Permit (which has the employers name on it).

There is information about one particular company on my two bogs listed below the post, and you will see they give TWO POINTS OF VIEW, I think they call that balance.

This was just posted today as a comment on the H&R blog…

hi i am with chris i wish i had seen this page before i took the the jump to canada with h & r my dream turned into a very BAD DREAM put it this way i had to sleep in my car when h & r had no use for me and it was -26c… also what i was told by lyndon was one big lie apart from i would drive a red truck and there would be a cost . It’s just the cost was 3 x higher than i was told … How can we stop them from using europe drivers as slaves ■■? … PLAEAS DO NOT GO AND WORK FOR H & R LOOK INTO OTHER COMPANYS AND I WISH YOU LUCK … p.s i am back in the uk now paying the bill off left from h & r and looking at the amount i lost out there was £5000 + DON’T GET YOUR FINGERS BURNT

Some people would rather this sort of thing was ignored, or swept under the carpet, but I can’t think why?
It’s very easy to ignore my posts about ONE company, and so much harder to just carry on making personal snide remarks towards the messenger like a ■■■■■■■ immature schoolboy, but, each to their own.
If you want info about particular companies Kit, you will have to name them, as I only speak about my own experience with H&R Transport in Lethbridge Alberta.

mickfly:
There is information about one particular company on my two bogs listed below the post, and you will see they give TWO POINTS OF VIEW, I think they call that balance.

Freudian slip there eh, Mick. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

I agree your posts are becoming a bit more calm and balanced now you know you will be picked up on if you ■■■■ and whine as much as usual,
but if you think your 2 bogs :wink: are balanced :unamused: I think we can see part of your problem.

The only balance I see is the manky old chips, 2 years old and going off, getting smelly now. :stuck_out_tongue:

Keep up the deep breathing, your anger management is much better today.

You know, I love it when you post some more whines, it inspires creativity in me.
Back to the grindstone tommorow, can’t wait.

Hi Kit.

I am quite prepared to give you my name and address, so if you get ripped off in Canada you can come back and shake my hand and thank me for the warnings.

If anyone else here who has never driven a truck OTR in Canada as a temp worker wants to ‘big it up’, then ask them for their address in the UK so you can return and kick the bejesus out of them if it isn’t as sweet as they seem to think.

The best bet is to find a smaller company that can get LMO’s and just be very cautious.

kitbuilder123:

Hi Kitbuilder,welcome to the site.I am in the majority,that is to say,one of the many drivers to come over and make a success of life in Canada.Their are a lot more opportunities to well over here as long as you don’t mind hard work,the rewards are here.I personally know 30+ people/families that have moved over in the last 5 years,and we’re all doing well and have no intentions of returning,the only guy I know that returned to Britain did so because of a family illness.
Thoroughly research everything,who you want to work for,where you want to live,alterative work should you want/need to change employers,house prices etc.If possible come over for a few weeks and have a look around.It took us nearly 2 years from making the decision to getting off the plane,we only intended to move the once so wanted to make certain that we were doing it properly.We were determined to make it work for us,and it has.
Our plan was for me to drive longhaul for as long as it took to obtain PR,and then change to local work.I knew that every trip I took would be one less,and adopted the attitude of being a paid tourist.Could be a bit crappy at times,three in the morning in the middle of nowhere driving through a blizzard,but also saw some great places and made some good friends.17 months after arriving we were granted residency,and now I work locally,paid by the hour/day and life is rosey.
Mickfly has an issue with the company that brought him over,all I’ll say is that a friend of mine,who’s been in Canada for 5 years,has recently moved provinces to work for them and is enjoying it.Make of that what you will. :slight_smile:
Best of luck.

flat to the mat:

kitbuilder123:

Hi Kitbuilder,welcome to the site.I am in the majority,that is to say,one of the many drivers to come over and make a success of life in Canada.Their are a lot more opportunities to well over here as long as you don’t mind hard work,the rewards are here.I personally know 30+ people/families that have moved over in the last 5 years,and we’re all doing well and have no intentions of returning,the only guy I know that returned to Britain did so because of a family illness.
Thoroughly research everything,who you want to work for,where you want to live,alterative work should you want/need to change employers,house prices etc.If possible come over for a few weeks and have a look around.It took us nearly 2 years from making the decision to getting off the plane,we only intended to move the once so wanted to make certain that we were doing it properly.We were determined to make it work for us,and it has.
Our plan was for me to drive longhaul for as long as it took to obtain PR,and then change to local work.I knew that every trip I took would be one less,and adopted the attitude of being a paid tourist.Could be a bit crappy at times,three in the morning in the middle of nowhere driving through a blizzard,but also saw some great places and made some good friends.17 months after arriving we were granted residency,and now I work locally,paid by the hour/day and life is rosey.
Mickfly has an issue with the company that brought him over,all I’ll say is that a friend of mine,who’s been in Canada for 5 years,has recently moved provinces to work for them and is enjoying it.Make of that what you will. :slight_smile:
Best of luck.

Good for him, but he isn’t working for them on a temp work permit is he?

Good for you as well, and, contrary to what has been said recently, I have NEVER slagged anyone off for making a success of OTR in Canada, nor have I said don’t go over to Canada, but the majority of drivers arriving to work for H&R return to the UK after a short while, or change companies.
Yes, I do have an issue with the company that invited me over, but that’s as far as it goes, although from some responses you would think I was the devil!