Driving in a warzone

stuh:
Worked in Iraq for 4 years with KBR doing fuel convoys.

You went out to Houston for 2 weeks for processing/training, then straight out to Camp Anaconda approx 80 miles north of Baghdad for your driver training which included Convoy drills, Classroom work, Reversing test and vehicle familarisation as they had a variety of units from US militart generals to Up-armored Mercedes Actros.

After you finished all that you then joined TTM as a driver but you had to complete 2 missions under supervision. 1 as a passenger and 1 with a trainer which could take a couple of weeks due to workload and a lot of [zb]!

You then either stayed at Anaconda or got shipped out to another base.

I did much of my time at Camp Cedar running fuel that was bought in from Kuwait by other companies.

KBR did all the transport and a lot of other work for the US goverment in Iraq and run the accomodation in Basra for the British.

They won the contract in Afghanistan but the tranpsort side wasn’t on the scale of Iraq.

What sort of requirements do they have?

Well if you want to risk a beheading or a shot to the back of the head then go for it, think id rather stay here in the UK, we dont know just how good weve got it. Apart from beheading go to youtube and type in syrian truck drivers shot, I wouldnt touch that part of the world for all the tea in China. :frowning:

KBR Convoy Ambushed in Iraq: youtu.be/uMX3BicGcGc

redboxer850:

Post those videos all you want, its not putting me off.

Crack on then

Driving out there big money be long gone
To what it was I would say

Have got a yank freind works in h&s for drilling etc was
In Iraq now in afghan he earns good money
But unlike us if we worked there he still got to pay his taxes to u s

Even this he lives in Thailand with his mrs and kids when has time off

Radar19:

redboxer850:

Post those videos all you want, its not putting me off.

:open_mouth: of course, it only ever happens to someone else, so happy days.

Just hope your film debut doesnt land on al jazeeras desk.

redboxer850:

Times like that almost make life worth living.

redboxer850:

■■■■ that!

I wouldn’t go there for a grand a day after watching that!

NewLad:

redboxer850:

[zb] that!

Especially not if they stick you in a Merc.

With the private companys taking over the chances are the driver will have less protection as there simply wont be enough boots on the ground to help you thus making it even more dangerous.the fanatics aint daft,why risk trying to kidnap a westerner who bgs or some fud in a truck who has a cb.radar do us a favour where a hi vis so they can spot you easier when they come for you

m1cks:

NewLad:

redboxer850:

[zb] that!

Especially not if they stick you in a Merc.

I drive a Merc now Actros MP4 the only thing I’d swap it for is a better specification one or a Volvo FH

So can any of you give me any info on how to get into this line of work since leaving the army some adventure would be great but it is something I’m interested in but never really had any body to ask about it :smiley:

They have killed thousands of Turkish and Syrian truck drivers.That is not an adventure.

KBR do most of the logistics in Afghan.
From stores, kitchens, cooks and general logs.
Nearly all of the, are ex soldiers who have left and went for better money.
The generally work 9 weeks on 3 weeks off.
A normal worker is on about 35-45k year tax free depending on what job your doing.

It would be quite a hard line of work to get into f you don’t know anyone or never been in the military. as the war has been going on for a while and the bulk of the jobs were taken up 10 year ago.
So it’s usually guys getting there mates from the forces jobs when they leave.
As most of the bosses are ex Sgt majors.

You don’t hear about it on the news but there is a hell of a lot of guys doing close protection and private work getting killed.

Wait for the next conflict next year and they will be screaming out for guys.

Main requirement KBR wanted was your ADR in tanks and packages.

You did’nt have to be ex-military.

Most of the yanks we were in houston with on processing had never held a passport.

I only know 1 lad thats still out in iraq and he’s based nr baghdad in the old Camp Liberty complex and he sits behind a desk all day now. He’s dragging it out as long as possible as he doesn’t want to come back to the UK to work, he has a missus and life out in Thailand now. A lot of lads that worked out there either lived in Thailand or Phillipines.

Until the US invade somewhere else getting work with KBR will be hard, most of the jobs available need Secret clearance and it’s hard to get if your not a US citizen.

stuh:

Most of the yanks we were in houston with on processing had never held a passport.

I only know 1 lad thats still out in iraq and he’s based nr baghdad in the old Camp Liberty complex and he sits behind a desk all day now. He’s dragging it out as long as possible as he doesn’t want to come back to the UK to work, he has a missus and life out in Thailand now. A lot of lads that worked out there either lived in Thailand or Phillipines.

Until the US invade somewhere else getting work with KBR will be hard, most of the jobs available need Secret clearance and it’s hard to get if your not a US citizen.

So basically I have to wait until the US starts another war then?

Radar19:

stuh:

So basically I have to wait until the US starts another war then?

MMTM that they plan on invading Scotland once independent for their oil :slight_smile:

Basically yes.

KBR do other transport contracts for the US military but its post runs around europe thru to the balkans and back but you have to be a US citizen for it.

There are other companies that bid for the Logcap contracts other than KBR, the main one is Dyncorp and Cheam but it’s all being drawn down now.

FTX logistics are a subsidary of KBR doing the tank transporters but the money is’nt that good and you have to sign on as a full time reservist.

Yes you have can. Civvy contractors do it. I dont know any firms recruiting but google should help. You will likely have to do a hostile environment course which usually involves ex royal marines roughing you up