DRIVING HOURS???

hi all hope you can help,
hopefully this doesnt sound 2 amateur but recently passed me class 2 and got me cpc card and recieved my digi card. so now i gotta find job the only trouble is all this digi stuff confuses me is there any sort of basic tips that can help?..i think i remember seeing somewhere that i cant do more than 90hrs in two consecutive weeks. so confusing :confused:

Try this for starters :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=113764&p=1740901#p1740901

edit:
Also check out Rules on Drivers’ Hours and Tachographs

I suggest doing a dcpc course on drivers hours and tachographs = 7 hours towards your 35

is it something that i will pick up when starting a job and hopefully my colleagues wud help?

damien88:
is it something that i will pick up when starting a job and hopefully my colleagues wud help?

No, you need to read the links above. Then read them again. If you don’t understand something - read that bit again. THEN, if it still doesn’t make sense, come and ask about it.
HTH :slight_smile:

A modern digital tacho should do some of the working out for you, at least in terms of warning to have a break after 4.25 hours driving. However, you still need to be aware of the other compliances; as mentioned above, they are mentioned further above - read and digest - the basics are quite easily understood.

damien88:

You need to know at-least the basics before starting a job otherwise not only are you likely to pick up infringements that could potentially cost you your job but you will also look a tad dumb.

Unless you’re planning to do a DCPC course anyway I wouldn’t bother, at the end of the day you’re not going to learn it all in a way that you will remember in just 7 hours.

Don’t bother about the WTD for the time being concentrate on learning the drivers hours and tachograph regulations, you can learn about the WTD later.

Start by learning the allowed driving time and driving breaks, ie, 4½ hours driving time and you must have a 45 minute break, there is more to it than that so learn it thoroughly.
Also learn the daily and weekly and fortnightly driving limits, then move onto daily rest periods and weekly rest periods, once you’ve learned about driving times, breaks and daily/weekly rest periods you’re halfway home, so break it down into modules like that and I think you’ll find it easier :wink:

Feel free to ask questions here or in the safety forum about anything you don’t understand, but don’t put off learning this stuff because you will need to know it.

damien88:

Learning the basics is not so difficult :slight_smile: Learning the more in depth rules and regs, requires you to have a Bsc in rocket science and being able to comprehend the uncomprehensible, :open_mouth: wish you all the best :laughing:

Right iv got to grips with tacho hours, I’m now in my 4th week so at the end of this week do I give all 4 weeks of tacho to my boss?

noney82:
Right iv got to grips with tacho hours, I’m now in my 4th week so at the end of this week do I give all 4 weeks of tacho to my boss?

No only tachos which are at least 28 days old.

So then it will be in theory one a day after the first is 28 days old

noney82:

Legally you must keep with you the current chart and any charts you’ve completed in the previous 28 days, if you don’t have them with you and you get sopped you can expect problems.

You should return the charts within 42 days from the day after the chart was used.

noney82:

No because if the first is 28 days old the others won’t be 28 days old, and you need to keep them with you until they are at-least 28 days old, well 29 days really I suppose.

As above, you must always carry with you any charts used in the last 28 days before the current day.

Ah right thank you both, wow I’m going to have to get a filling cabinet in my truck

noney82:

Yes but I wouldn’t bother handing one in every day do a weeks worth on a Friday night making sure they are all over 28 days old.

noney82:

it’ll be 29 days old … 28 + current card…

the other thing is you just run 28 days then a week later put the 1st weeks worth of cards in.
the office will love the fact that every day you hand a single card in from 4 weeks ago :unamused:
also its less likely the card will get damaged or disappear :wink: :wink:

noney82:
Ah right thank you both, wow I’m going to have to get a filling cabinet in my truck

I used to use chart envelopes, one for each weeks charts.

I think most companies will give you proper envelopes, well the firms/agencies I worked at did anyway.

tachograph:

noney82:

I think most companies will give you proper envelopes, well the firms/agencies I worked at did anyway.

Iv got a load of envelopes to make myself look a bit more professional haha

noney82:

tachograph:

noney82:

Iv got a load of envelopes to make myself look a bit more professional haha

you only want 5 … :wink:

Yeah but I’ll need more once I hand some in won’t I? So I just grabbed a load