driving hours

hi guys how is every one?

i’m a new driver only had my class 2 licence for 6 months and been working for an agency they have put me in a job with a long term contract i’m doing 6 on 2 off not an issue was all good to start with but now I been there a wile this company have started to get me to do reduced daily rest periods I stick to my guns wont go over 2 a week I know I can do 3 but i’m not doing more than 2, I am little confused as to how many hours working and driving I can do the day after a reduced daily rest break if any one can help it would be very helpful

many thanks callum

As you know a reduced daily rest is any reduction from 11 hours down to 9 minimum in a 24 hour period that starts when you start work.

ie you start at 8am on day 1. By 8am on day 2 you must have had at least a 9 hours break. After the break a new working day of 24 hours starts. The amount of hours you can work is governed by the length of the daily rest. 9 hours rest = 24-9 = 15 hour working day.

Keep an eye on the 60 hour WTD limit but where possible use the POA to help.

The length of a working day is not really dependant on the length of the daily rest unless you have used up all the reduced rests.

callum.1:

i’m a new driver only had my class 2 licence for 6 months and been working for an agency they have put me in a job with a long term contract i’m doing 6 on 2 off not an issue was all good to start with but now I been there a wile this company have started to get me to do reduced daily rest periods I stick to my guns wont go over 2 a week I know I can do 3 but i’m not doing more than 2, I am little confused as to how many hours working and driving I can do the day after a reduced daily rest break if any one can help it would be very helpful

many thanks callum

Reduced daily rest periods (where less than 11 hours rest is done within 24 hours from starting a shift) are THREE max between weekly rests and not per fixed week (sunday midnight to sunday midnight)

The driving hours rules have nothing to do with what rests you take as they are per fixed week (56 max) and per any two fixed weeks (90 max)

Having certain rules for the fixed week and others for between weekly rests confuses the hell out of many but thats the way the dopes in the EU want it !!

Doing 6 on 2 off will eventually get to a position when you will have no weekly rest for a fixed week so watch out for that

A fixed week is sunday midnight to sunday midnight

For a weekly rest to be used for a particular fixed week it must be at least 1 minute in that fixed week

A weekly rest that includes sunday midnight can be used for the week just ending or the week just starting but not for both weeks

Below I have listed a number of fixed weeks
Low case = work days and UPPER CASE = rest days

… fri sat sun
mon tue wed THU FRI sat sun = THU + FRI used as weekly rest for this week
mon tue wed thu FRI SAT sun = FRI + SAT used as weekly rest for this week
mon tue wed thu fri SAT SUN = SAT + SUN used as weekly rest for this week
mon tue wed thu fri sat SUN = SUN + MON used as the weekly rest for this week
MON tue wed thu fri sat sun = MON + TUE used as the weekly rest for this week as it includes sunday midnight
MON TUE wed thu fri sat sun = NO WEEKLY REST for this week - cannot use MON + TUE as that has been used for the last week
mon TUE WED …

callum.1:

many thanks callum

just hope they’re payin the dollar, 6 on 2 off did it myself was ok till as Rog says the weekly rest bites you and you need 3 days off every so often… as for the reduced daily rest I wouldn’t do it 6 on 2 off is enough without reducing rest 1 maybe 2 now and again but they’ll soon take the ■■■■

callum.1:

many thanks callum

As has been said you can reduce the daily rest three times between weekly rest periods.

After a reduced daily rest period you can work the same amount of hours as any other shift.

As far as doing a six on two off work sequence is concerned, I answered this question with a layout of how your weekly rest periods will be affected in this thread

As you can see by week 10/11 you will have to have an extra day off or you won’t be able to fit a weekly rest period into the correct week.

hi all

thanks for all the reply’s its nice to know that if I have any questions or concerns I can stick it up in here and wont fill so stupid for not knowing it lol.
with regards to the 6 on 2 off I might be reading it wrong but this to me looks like it been layed out as a 5 on 2 off or am I just reading it wrong sorry if I am
… fri sat sun
MON tue wed thu fri sat sun = MON + TUE used as the weekly rest for this week as it includes sunday midnight
MON TUE wed thu fri sat sun = NO WEEKLY REST for this week - cannot use MON + TUE as that has been used for the last week
mon TUE WED …

one again many thanks
callum

callum.1:
hi all

thanks for all the reply’s its nice to know that if I have any questions or concerns I can stick it up in here and wont fill so stupid for not knowing it lol.
with regards to the 6 on 2 off I might be reading it wrong but this to me looks like it been layed out as a 5 on 2 off or am I just reading it wrong sorry if I am
… fri sat sun
mon TUE WED …

one again many thanks
callum

yeah Rog only got 5 fingers if he was from the east coast he might have done better :grimacing: :grimacing: but in his defence he was workin out ur days off in the standard week :wink: :wink:
what Rog is saying your only showing 1 rest day in week 1 and week 2

week 1. MON TUE WED THUR FRI SAT sun
week 2. mon TUE WED THUR FRI SAT SUN
week 3. mon tue WED THUR FRI SAT SUN
week 4. MON tue wed THUR FRI SAT SUN
week 5. MON TUE wed thur FRI SAT SUN
week 6. MON TUE WED thur fri SAT SUN
week 7. MON TUE WED THUR fri sat SUN
week 8. MON TUE WED THUR FRI sat sun

callum.1:
… fri sat sun
mon TUE WED …

You’re reading it wrong, he has worked it out on a 6 on 2 off sequence.

See if this makes sense to you, The yellow highlighting is just to separate the weeks.

This assumes that you start week 1 having had a full 45 hour weekly rest that can count for week 1.

The number in brackets in the centre column is the week that the weekly rest period will count for.

As you can see the only weekly rest period that falls partly in week 11 has to count for week 10, so there is not a weekly rest period counting for week 11.

nick2008:
yeah Rog only got 5 fingers if he was from the east coast he might have done better :grimacing: :grimacing: but in his defence he was workin out ur days off in the standard week :wink: :wink:
what Rog is saying your only showing 1 rest day in week 1 and week 2

week 1. MON TUE WED THUR FRI SAT sun
week 2. mon TUE WED THUR FRI SAT SUN
week 3. mon tue WED THUR FRI SAT SUN
week 4. MON tue wed THUR FRI SAT SUN
week 5. MON TUE wed thur FRI SAT SUN
week 6. MON TUE WED thur fri SAT SUN
week 7. MON TUE WED THUR fri sat SUN
week 8. MON TUE WED THUR FRI sat sun

Days off in the fixed week was not my point as that has nothing to do with the regs - it was weekly rests used for each fixed week

In Nicks example above, if the first sun + mon in red off had been used as the weekly rest for week 1 and the mon + tue in red used for week 2 then week 3 has no weekly rest

i understand it all now thanks guys :smiley:

I did question it with this company today as I was called in and begged to go do a shift for them by the agency they tried to fob me off with some excuse that they work on the fortnightly rota and there staff are to have 48 hours undisturbed break I just agreed and went on my way could not be bothered to get into a debate as was tired :frowning:

callum.1:
i understand it all now thanks guys :smiley:

I did question it with this company today as I was called in and begged to go do a shift for them by the agency they tried to fob me off with some excuse that they work on the fortnightly rota and there staff are to have 48 hours undisturbed break I just agreed and went on my way could not be bothered to get into a debate as was tired :frowning:

I reckon they have not looked carefully into the weekly rest requirements so as a driver it is now up to you to make sure you stay legal

On a basic roadside VOSA check over the last 29 calendar days it is likely to show all being well but if they search back further then you could be in trouble …