Driving hours with second job

I am considering driving as a second job,When working out my available hours do I need to take my first jobs hours into consideration,I work 4 on and 4 off so hours will be ranging between 36hrs and 48hr a week .Am I right in thinking that I must have a clear 48hr rest before I start work again.Any advise would be great.

A second job counts as ‘other work’ for the purposes of the regulations, so you’ll need to factor it in to your maximum permitted hours, weekly averages etc.

You must take a rest of 45 hours each week, but you are permitted to reduce this to 24 hours every other week, as long as you make up the shortfall in one continuous period on top of another rest period within three weeks

For example, if you reduced your rest to 36 hours one week you would have a shortfall of 9 hours to make up. If you took a weekly rest of at least 54 hours the following week you’d be okay. for someone working a regular 5 day week that effectively means they can drive one day per fortnight. In your circumstances the scope is greater.

You need to read the driver’s hours regulations in detail to understand the precise rules, the above is a bit simplified and not fully accurate, but illustrates the principles.

78stu:
I am considering driving as a second job,When working out my available hours do I need to take my first jobs hours into consideration,I work 4 on and 4 off so hours will be ranging between 36hrs and 48hr a week .Am I right in thinking that I must have a clear 48hr rest before I start work again.Any advise would be great.

Not necessarily, assuming your usual work is not HGV/PCV driving the time will count as other work for the EU regulations. so you could do 4 shifts in your usual job then do 2 shifts driving then have 45 hours weekly rest before starting work again in your usual job.
In this scenario you would need to start a weekly rest period no later than 144 hours (six 24 hour periods) from when you started the first shift in your usual job, lets say you started work at 06:00 Monday and worked Monday to Thursday in your usual job, you would have to start a weekly rest period no later than 06:00 Sunday, you would then have a 45 hour weekly rest period before starting your usual job on Tuesday.

This is just one of many scenarios that would be possible on a 4 on 4 off work pattern, but it’s not quite that simple because you would have to watch that a weekly rest period fell in each week that you drove in-scope of EU regulations.

If you could give us some idea what your usual hours are we may be able to be a bit more precise.

You would of course need a daily rest period before starting a shift in-scope of EU regulations, and a daily rest period after the last HGV driving shift.