Driving hours question / ferry

If you are on a 2 hour crossing e.g. Cairnryan to Belfast, am I right that you can’t do a 3 hour split daily rest by using ferry rules to take vehicle off ferry and park up to finish rest if there is no bunk on ferry?

th2013:
If you are on a 2 hour crossing e.g. Cairnryan to Belfast, am I right that you can’t do a 3 hour split daily rest by using ferry rules to take vehicle off ferry and park up to finish rest if there is no bunk on ferry?

you are right :smiley:

How about if I stay in sleeper cab for the crossing, or don’t they let you?

when i asked a vosa officer about this on a routine spot check he just pointed to the sleeper cab and said you have access to a bed so split rest can be used . and he never fined me for any infringement when doing it on Dover- Calais route which is a 1.5hour crossing .

th2013:
How about if I stay in sleeper cab for the crossing, or don’t they let you?

Admittedly it’s many years since I went from Cairnryan to Belfast, but the last time I did I’m sure you weren’t officially allowed to stay in the cab.

Ok, thanks all. No split rest I think! Last time I did that crossing in a car they locked the car deck doors while sailing, and I certainly don’t fancy being locked in the bottom of a ferry.

th2013:

The answer is in your question a 3hr split rest on a 2 hr crossing and bunk or couchet . You can’t interupt the 3 hr bit