driving hours help

hi lads can someone please tell me if i do a 13 hour day 14 hour day 15 hour day,how much rest do i need for each day i get told so by so many differant truckers and i console the drivers hand book which makes some truckers wrong and some right but i need a real answer so to speak. :open_mouth:

you can take 3 reduced 9hr breaks per week and only 3 15hr days a week too,then its 11hr breaks and 13hrs duty time

forgot to add anything over 13hrs is classed as a 15 and if you don’t move for 3 hours whilst the mode switch is on the bed you can do 5 15hrs a week

carpboy:
hi lads can someone please tell me if i do a 13 hour day 14 hour day 15 hour day,how much rest do i need for each day i get told so by so many differant truckers and i console the drivers hand book which makes some truckers wrong and some right but i need a real answer so to speak. :open_mouth:

In each 24-hour period you must have at least 11 hours rest, which can be reduced to a minimum of 9 hours 3 times between weekly rest periods. The 24 hour period begins each time you resume work after a daily or weekly rest.

With that in mind it isn’t how much rest you need for each of the days you mention but how much you can fit into the 24-hour period. For the 13 hour day you will be having at least a full 11-hour rest period. However for the other two days you will be having a reduced rest period, 10 hours in the case of the 14 hour day and 9 hours for the 15 hour day.

It doesn’t matter how much rest you actually take after the 14 or 15 hour day, they will still be reduced rest periods as less than 11 hours rest will fall into the 24-hour period.

Example

06:00 Start work.

20:00 Finish work

07:00 Resume work.

It looks from that as if you have had 11 hours rest but because you worked 14 hours the 11 hours do not fall into the 24-hour period and so for the purpose of the tacho rules you will have had 10 hours rest and therefore used a reduced rest period. The easiest way to remember it is if you work even just 1 minute over 13 hours you will be on a reduced rest period, like it or not, unless you are using the split rest option but lets not confuse things with that at the moment.

Thetaff:
you can take 3 reduced 9hr breaks per week and only 3 15hr days a week

Not per week, between weekly rest periods. If your weekly rest period falls midweek then you could do more than 3 reduced daily rest periods per week.

Thetaff:
if you don’t move for 3 hours whilst the mode switch is on the bed you can do 5 15hrs a week

You could do 6, not 5, using split rest.

thanks lads most helpful :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

carpboy:

You should have completed an 11 hour rest period within 24 hours from the start of shift, this can be reduced to 9 hours three times between weekly rest periods.

Within six 24 hour periods you should extend a daily rest period into a weekly rest period.

Lets take the normal 11 hour daily rest periods as an example:

Lets say you start work at 06:00 Monday, by 06:00 Tuesday you should have completed an 11 hour daily rest period so that means that your shift should have finished by 17:00 Monday, that gives you a 13 hour spread-over (13 hours + 11 hours = 24 hours).

Now lets say you start work at 06:00 Tuesday and don’t finish the shift until 21:00 Tuesday, you’ve done a 15 hour spread-over so you will only be able to get a 9 hour daily rest period in before the 24 hour period is complete at 06:00 Wednesday, this is a reduced daily rest period of which you’re allowed 3 between weekly rest periods.
Notice that the daily rest period of 11 or 9 hours has to be complete within 24 hours from the start of shift, or to be precise within 24 hours from the end of the last daily or weekly rest period.

Now lets say you start work again at 06:00 Wednesday and finish the shift at 20:00 Wednesday, from 20:00 to 06:00 Thursday is only 10 hours so you can’t get an 11 hour daily rest in, so this will count as the second reduced daily rest period.

You decide to start work early on Thursday so after a 9 hour daily rest you decide to restart work at 05:00 Thursday, you now have to have another full 11 hour or reduced daily rest before 05:00 Friday or in other words within 24 hours from the start of the shift at 05:00.

To break it down you have to have completed a daily rest of 11 hours or a reduced daily rest of between 9 and 11 hours within 24 hours from the end of the last daily rest or weekly rest period.

The important thing to remember is that the daily rest period, weather it be a full 11 hour rest period or a reduced rest period of between 9 and 11 hours must be completed within 24 hours from the start of shift, any part of the rest period that falls outside of the 24 hour period from start of shift will not count as part of the daily rest period for the regulations.

I can now see that Neil has answered the question while I’ve been writing but after typing this lot out I’m not deleting it so … :wink:

If you are ever in any doubt about your shifts being legal or not then, if possible, put them on here before you do them. Putting them on here after they are done to confirm they are ok is also a good idea if worried.

Doing them in this type of format helps the site GURUs to see what you have done -
EXAMPLE
Fri finish 2000
Sat off
Sun off
Mon 0700 - 2000
Tue 0600 - 1900
Wed 0730 - 1900
Thu 0630 - 2100
Fri 0700 - 1800
Sat 0600 - 1200
Sun off
Mon 0700 -
etc etc

Would this be illegal due to 4 shifts over 13hours in-between regular weekly rest?

Or by taking the Tue off does the period between the end of Monday’s shift and the start of Wednesdays become a reduced weekly rest period thus making this legal assuming the reduced weekly rest is recovered within 3 weeks?

Fri finish 15:00
Sat off
Sun off
Mon 0130 - 1500
Tue off
Wed 0130 - 1500
Thu 0130 - 1500
Fri 0130 - 1500
Sat off
Sun off

Mike_:
Would this be illegal due to 4 shifts over 13hours in-between regular weekly rest?

Or by taking the Tue off does the period between the end of Monday’s shift and the start of Wednesdays become a reduced weekly rest period thus making this legal assuming the reduced weekly rest is recovered within 3 weeks?

Fri finish 15:00
Sat off
Sun off
Mon 0130 - 1500
Tue off
Wed 0130 - 1500
Thu 0130 - 1500
Fri 0130 - 1500
Sat off
Sun off

That’s legal due to you having a weekly rest period of 34.5 hours from 15:00 Monday - 01:30 Wednesday. So, when you resume work on Wednesday you have three reductions available before your next weekly rest. It is three reductions between any two weekly rest periods not just between regular weekly rest periods.

You don’t have to compensate the hours for that 34.5 hour weekly rest period as you have another regular weekly rest period in that week starting 15:00 Friday and continuing through Saturday and Sunday. If you take a reduced weekly rest and a regular weekly rest in the same fixed week you do not need to compensate for the reduced and if you take two reduced in the same fixed week you only have to compensate one of them.

Thanks - that shift pattern is what I’m on this week so that’s put my mind at rest :smiley:

As a simpleton can I suggest that if you do as Coffee explained, one minute over 13 hours, you may as well carry on up the road a bit further, unless of course it means you have to take another 45 minute break when you only have 95 minutes to run.

My way, it gives me less to do the next day and doesn’t feel like I have wasted a reduced rest period. I may even benefit from the extra 90 or 100 minutes on Friday to get home.

It makes sense to me anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:

And to me, if I’m going to go over the 13 I go as far as I can/need to, or like you I feel I’ve wasted a reduction.

Coffeeholic:

Wheel Nut:

And to me, if I’m going to go over the 13 I go as far as I can/need to, or like you I feel I’ve wasted a reduction.

I did that when married and the wife didnt like it :laughing: :laughing:

nick2008:

Coffeeholic:

Wheel Nut:

I did that when married and the wife didnt like it :laughing: :laughing:

PMSL :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :laughing: