Driving hours and WTD question

Today I did some local deliveries in my area but I got myself confused by driving breaks and WTD breaks.

Here is the scenario:

I started work at 07:30 but started driving about 09:00. Took a 15 minute break from 11:15 - 11:30 then kept on delivering etc.

In total I only did 3hrs30mins driving in a 10hour shift.

Now I didn’t need to take my 30 minute break (45 in total) as I didn’t drive for long enough, but to cover WTD rules I needed to take another 15 minute break after 9 hours work.

Would I record that as just a 15 minute break on my tacho?

But what if I then inadvertently did 4hrs30mins driving and had to take a 30 minute break later. So in total I would of had 1 hour break all day?

Should I just of taken a 30 minute break anyway to have my full 45? How would my employer look at that?

I’m confused!!!

Is this agency work? If so, find out from your agency how much break they are deducting from each shift. (The client might not be fully aware so I would find out from the people paying you directly - just what i would do though)

If they deduct 45 minutes, I would have made that second 15 minute break of yours a 30 minute break, that way it covers your WTD and driving hours

If they deduct an hour break from each shift, I would take an additional 15 minute break somewhere along the line too - Just what I would do though… Unless it’s on nights with a sleeper cab, then make that 30 minute break into a 45 and get some kip in.

Yes, show break on your Tacho for WTD too - It helps lower your working hours average too, if that matters to you.

I started work at 07:30 but started driving about 09:00. Took a 15 minute break from 11:15 - 11:30 then kept on delivering etc.

Correct :smiley:

Now I didn’t need to take my 30 minute break (45 in total) as I didn’t drive for long enough, but to cover WTD rules I needed to take another 15 minute break after 9 hours work.

When the total shift time is over 9 hours you need 45 minutes break in total. Your best option is to use a split 45. (15 followed by a 30)

Record a 30 (see my point above)

But what if I then inadvertently did 4hrs30mins driving and had to take a 30 minute break later. So in total I would of had 1 hour break all day?

This is when you can split your 45 minute break into a 15 followed by a 30. The 30 will cover your WTD as well as reset your driving hours (4hr30). I find it easiest to always split my 45 to keep myself safe.

I’m confused!!!

Aren’t we all… :unamused:

Yes I am doing agency work.

All the agency told me is to text their on-call mobile at week’s end with my hours for the week. I did this for 4days last week as Monday was a bank holiday and I wasn’t working.

That was the first week I worked for them. I text them my full hours for the 4days. I also stated that I had 45 minutes break on each of them days so if they do not pay for breaks they need to deduct 3hours. (I was driving to Swindon to do deliveries at the time so that was nearly a 4 hour round trip so the 45 minutes break was a non issue as I knew I had to have it)

I have not been paid yet (week in hand) so I have no information on this. They are also not very good at responding to my requests, but maybe I should persist.

Anyway it wasn’t a question about being paid or not for my breaks, it was just a procedure question really as I was not sure what to do as I only needed to comply with WTD as I hadn’t driven for long enough and I knew I wouldn’t.

But due to traffic or unseen circumstances I could of gone over my driving time and needed to take another 30mins.

Just wondering what to do for future reference really

HOP 2 IT:

Correct :smiley:

When the total shift time is over 9 hours you need 45 minutes break in total. Your best option is to use a split 45. (15 followed by a 30)

Record a 30 (see my point above)

This is when you can split your 45 minute break into a 15 followed by a 30. The 30 will cover your WTD as well as reset your driving hours (4hr30). I find it easiest to always split my 45 to keep myself safe.

I’m confused!!!

Aren’t we all… :unamused:

Ooohhhhh ok so I got it wrong anyway. After doing 9 hours I need to take a 45 minute break to cover WTD. So I should of just taken a 30 minute to cover me [emoji106]

As has been said, for a shift of 10 hours working time you should have a break/breaks totalling 45 minutes, you had a 15 minute break after you’d done some driving so if you then had another 30 minute break later on it would reset your driving time, so you would have to do another 4.5 driving before needing another driving break.