Driving HGV over 65

Can you please tell me what the proceedure is for driving over 65.
I am aware that you require an annual medical to continue driving past 65 but does my existing medical expire when I reach 65 or does it continue for 3 years from my last medical.
Will I be notified by the DVLA that I will have to take a new medical before my retirement age.
Does anybody know of a dedicated Doctor in the West Midlands who specialize in HGV medicals as my local doctor charges a hefty fee.
Many thanks Halohodge

I don’t know about the other questions but I wouldn’t rely on DVLA to notify you, it is your responsiblity to make sure licences and medials are up to date, and that your photocard has not expired. For medicals look here

I am aware that it is my resposibilty to have a medical and re-apply for my licence in good time I just wanted to know so I can plan ahead, I dont want a situation where I cant drive because some paperwork is missing.
i work for a very large haulage firm and the onus is mine to sort it out.

The photocard licence expires on your 70th birthday but I didnt realise there was any other paperwork apart from the medical requirement for the DVLA

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome halohodge :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

FAQ forum for info on Posting Pics, Driver CPC, Getting 1st LGV Licence and much more…

Your current medical will expire on your 65th birthday as it only covers the upgrade LGV bit of your licence to that point.

A new medical within the 6 months prior to that point will still be valid under DVLA rules.

Along with the photocard licence expiry date at age 70 you may need a new photograph EDIT - the photo itself has a 10 year expiry date which may be different to the licence expiry date - check the card to find out.

There is also the requirement to do a full LGV medical if you wish to drive anything over 3.5 tonnes - your B+E entitlement is NOT affected.

Wheel Nut:
The photocard licence expires on your 70th birthday but I didnt realise there was any other paperwork apart from the medical requirement for the DVLA

photo card drivers licenses only last for ten years you have to renew your photo every ten years

del

Because my licence renewal age was not divisible by 5,my last 5 yearly medical was when I was 64.My licence was returned to me with an expiry date for C+E for next year when I am 66.

bestbooties:
Because my licence renewal age was not divisible by 5,my last 5 yearly medical was when I was 64.My licence was returned to me with an expiry date for C+E for next year when I am 66.

Was your medial done within the six months prior to your 65th birthday :question:

I ask in case they have changed the rules - again :exclamation: :exclamation:

Can’t be sure off the top of my head,looking at my licence it does not appear to give the last date of renewal.
Somewhere I have a copy of my last medical form that I scanned before I sent off the original,I’ll look it out.

delboytwo:

Wheel Nut:

photo card drivers licenses only last for ten years you have to renew your photo every ten years

del

Sorry, that was what I meant by making sure your licence was in date.

Many thanks for your replys.

My last medical was at least 2/3 years ago , I reach 65 in April 09, but my hgv licence expires in April 2010.
My digital tacho card expires june 2011, gets more confusing by the minute.
Can I assume that the DVLA will inform me that I need a medical before I reach 65 or will it be extended until the C+E licences expires in april 2010.

delboytwo:

Wheel Nut:

del

True. I meant the expiry date will be on your 70th birthday even if the photo is in date then a medical form has to be completed for all drivers, not just us.

Halohodge,

Column 11 on the reverse of your photocard will give you the last valid date for each category - presumably yours shows the day before your 65th birthday against C and CE?

halohodge:
Many thanks for your replys.

My last medical was at least 2/3 years ago , I reach 65 in April 09, but my hgv licence expires in April 2010.
My digital tacho card expires june 2011, gets more confusing by the minute.
Can I assume that the DVLA will inform me that I need a medical before I reach 65 or will it be extended until the C+E licences expires in april 2010.

I would call them on DVLA & MEDICAL 01792 782 341 to get a definitive answer

driversmedicals.com/

well thats a first on here, someone ask’s a question that crying out for a clever answer and not one of you said ‘disconect the speed limiter’

halohodge:
Does anybody know of a dedicated Doctor in the West Midlands who specialize in HGV medicals as my local doctor charges a hefty fee.

BIRMINGHAM
Dr J.M. Crosland
36 Bunbury Road
Northfield
Birmingham
0121 680 3848
£29 — Aug 08

just renewed my licence, 66th birthday. DVLA sent forms out 1calendar month before renewal date. .Annual from now, but as previous postings, watch out for the date of issue of the first photo licence. Renew picture after ten years and of course pay a hefty fee. Annual renewals without any change of data are free. Bonny new hologram and the picture is black and white, something to do with laser burning and security, beats me, just as long as I have the ticket to work I’m happy.