Driving HGV in Los Angeles

Nearly there again:

Big Truck:

Nearly there again:

Lucy:
(Ps. Although there did used to be a way to do seasonal harvest work as a visitor, IIRC…)

Which was mega shady, I looked into it

H2A temp harvest visa totally legal did it myself back in 2002 with 14 other fellas from NI.
Many others have done it over the years and I still have my expired USA CDL in house.
Will do it again when I retire fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

I spoke to a few farmers and each one stated the same thing, don’t declare anything other than vacation at immigration

Not for me to break immigration law for some fly by night who wanted me available 24 hours a day but its ok as they offerd boarding and food.

Maybe you found better companies and if you did thats good but the ones I spoke to all said the above.

Let’s be honest if your retire and have no one at home and want to live the trucker version of a back packing holiday good luck

Is anyone else thinking ‘Carryfast’? :smiley:

switchlogic:

Nearly there again:

Big Truck:

Nearly there again:

Lucy:
(Ps. Although there did used to be a way to do seasonal harvest work as a visitor, IIRC…)

H2A temp harvest visa totally legal did it myself back in 2002 with 14 other fellas from NI.
Many others have done it over the years and I still have my expired USA CDL in house.

I spoke to a few farmers and each one stated the same thing, don’t declare anything other than vacation at immigration

Not for me to break immigration law for some fly by night who wanted me available 24 hours a day but its ok as they offerd boarding and food.

Maybe you found better companies and if you did thats good but the ones I spoke to all said the above.

Let’s be honest if your retire and have no one at home and want to live the trucker version of a back packing holiday good luck

Is anyone else thinking ‘Carryfast’? :smiley:

He obviously hasn’t done too much research into the “Harvest work” in the States anyway.
Prob just talking dung to some Farmers in a bar somewhere!!!

I have zero experience of US trucking myself but I watched this video a few weeks ago and it didn’t paint a very rosy picture…

youtube.com/watch?v=Xyq2963BlsI

try this lad

youtube.com/watch?v=R1TZ9PmwUBc

Wg2:
So I’m HGV class one driver in the UK, i’m looking to migrate to Los Angeles because of my wife.

do you really need to go all the way to los angeles to get away from your wife? what did she do?

sorry just my little joke

I like how if I have a different experience to others I’m the one at fault, luke the bully also reverts to slnder when he wants to impose his will. How’s the law course going, oh sorry I forgot

Nearly there again:
I like how if I have a different experience to others I’m the one at fault, luke the bully also reverts to slnder when he wants to impose his will. How’s the law course going, oh sorry I forgot

I went the States a couple of years ago, and the sun was shining all the time.
Obviously anyone who went there and got rained on is talking rubbish.
:wink:

Franglais:

Nearly there again:

You could blame brexit for it as you normally do

Nearly there again:

Franglais:

Nearly there again:

You could blame brexit for it as you normally do

Thank you for that incisive, and on topic, response to a post that supported your position. :smiley:

Nearly there again:

Blimey. You took a joke in a rather strange way, why on earth do you think I was criticising or attacking your experience? Bit baffled by that because I didn’t

Nearly there again:
I How’s the law course going, oh sorry I forgot

No need to apologise friend, impressive memory you have there, I’d nearly forgotten about that myself. Alas after 18 months I made an executive decision to stop as I didn’t think my brain was ultimately up to it and I didn’t think giving up all my free time for years and years for a second class, at best, law degree was worth it. Thanks for asking tho, kind of you

UPDATE! - after some deep contemplation and utilising my magnificent and legendary intelligence I believe he thinks I called him Carryfast. The joke was that job sounds ideal for CF

chrisdalott:
do you really need to go all the way to los angeles to get away from your wife? what did she do?

He’s going into witness protection as she’s currently doing 3-5 years :laughing:

Nearly there again:

Big Truck:

Nearly there again:

Lucy:

I never encountered any farmers like that, sounds like they are completely crazy wanting to play that game (I’m assuming using their own trucks too which can be in rougher / older condition than the norm).

For me I contacted a bona fide haulage company that specialized in Farm work and a petition was issued to take to the US embassy. It’s still like that now going off my recent contact with the same firm.

Re: Farm work. The issue is that nowadays every US state will not issue CDL driving licenses unless you have the proper visa stamped in the passport. I’m pretty sure the VWP (3 month option) isn’t enough. You need an H1A category of similar. Also they don’t recognize UK HGV license categories, you have to sit their provisional test at the very least (if with a CDL holder in the passenger seat of the cab) or the full test for driving solo.

So those farmers not only were asking people to enter to carry out illegal work, but to break ■■ amount of DOT driving laws!

biggriffin:
Who wants to drive a Truck with 1970’s tech, no air- suspension, disc brakes, manual box, sliding tandam axle trailers,… 12v electric systems, some don’t have brakes on front axle, and ebs/abs is just a luxury…

Not so bad when I did it back in 2010.
None of the wagons I saw were older than the 1990s. Most had electrical systems on a par with stuff from Europe. All even newer stuff now obviously.

TheFlyingTanker:

Nearly there again:

Big Truck:

Nearly there again:

Lucy:

I never encountered any farmers like that, sounds like they are completely crazy wanting to play that game (I’m assuming using their own trucks too which can be in rougher / older condition than the norm).

For me I contacted a bona fide haulage company that specialized in Farm work and a petition was issued to take to the US embassy. It’s still like that now going off my recent contact with the same firm.

Re: Farm work. The issue is that nowadays every US state will not issue CDL driving licenses unless you have the proper visa stamped in the passport. I’m pretty sure the VWP (3 month option) isn’t enough. You need an H1A category of similar. Also they don’t recognize UK HGV license categories, you have to sit their provisional test at the very least (if with a CDL holder in the passenger seat of the cab) or the full test for driving solo.

So those farmers not only were asking people to enter to carry out illegal work, but to break ■■ amount of DOT driving laws!

Again you need to do some research as your WRONG ref H2A visas!!!
There are guys from UK/Ireland over there atm working for Custom Cutters on H2A visa and 100% legal and above board.
How do you even think they would get past USA border officials at the airport only having a one way ticket as its not set in stone when they’re coming back home!!!

Do some Googling before posting pure DUNG!!!

Google “Harvest support usa-uk” and get educated!!!

Hi Bigtruck if I mind right you were at the same custom cutters as my mate but different yrs . He also got a contract with Minnesota highway contractor following yr and transferred licence to Manitoba class 1 after job offer .

JIMBO47:
Hi Bigtruck if I mind right you were at the same custom cutters as my mate but different yrs . He also got a contract with Minnesota highway contractor following yr and transferred licence to Manitoba class 1 after job offer .

Altendorf Harvesting from Minto North Dakota■■?
They ran 30 new John Deere STS combines in 2002 and had 14 of us from Northern Ireland and 15 from NZ plus another 20 from South Africa.
All there illegally according to the poster above!!!

Did your mate used to be a member on here and from Skankill Rd Belfast■■?
Think he PM’d a few times when he went over there.

That’s right , he’s still over here just down the road from me .

JIMBO47:
That’s right , he’s still over here just down the road from me .

He has stuck the pace rightly!!!

Wg2:
So I’m HGV class one driver in the UK, i’m looking to migrate to Los Angeles because of my wife.

Just a question for example I do understand I have to pass a test in the USA to drive HGV Lorry’s. However do need to pass a car test first ? As I think a UK car license can work in the USA not sure.

its the time of year custom harvester looking for staff to harvest from texas to canada and back. its not LA, but they pay traveling from Home to workplace, train you and help to get CDL, and pay a minimum as of 1999 of $2600.- a Month. provide accomontation and 2 meals a Day. Also taking Female on.
Thats the cheapest way to get into it i know. but other will know different ways.

Big Truck:

JIMBO47:

Altendorf Harvesting from Minto North Dakota■■?
They ran 30 new John Deere STS combines in 2002 and had 14 of us from Northern Ireland and 15 from NZ plus another 20 from South Africa.
All there illegally according to the poster above!!!

Did your mate used to be a member on here and from Skankill Rd Belfast■■?
Think he PM’d a few times when he went over there.

How was it they were illegals if they came in on valid work visas? I’m not sure what you are on about and who you were replying too when you went on your revv’d up rant mate. :slight_smile: