Driving experience

Hi all new member (be gentle!)

I’m looking to fulfill my boyhood dream and get my class 1 license next year, my problem is
I’ve 2 young kids and a house to run, and I’m fully aware of the fact I have to get that all
Important first years experience, but financially I can’t afford to take the risk of agency’s
Messing me about and earning the really basic starter rates.
Basically my question is if I done my current day job 5 days a week and then done some agency
Driving on the weekends to get the experience would this be recognised as enough experience
By potential employers or would I have to fully take the plunge and go into it full time?

Any answers or advice would be very much appreciated as this is somthing I really want to do!

hi one cructial tthing i was told by the agency i was with for a few weeks is some companys dont like taking people unless theyve held there license for 6months to a year i know in my case age only being 21 restricted it more but the best thing to do is get in contact with a few agencys in youre area and find out what work they would have available for a new pass on weekends but one thing i would say is be very careful how you play it with hours as youre full time job still contributes towards youre driving time i was very lucky i managed to get staright in a full time class1 job through my driving instructor with a small company so it would pay to get in contact with small companys and agencys in youre area to see if they would be able to offer you anything once you pass even if it one day a week/fortnight goodluck i done my license in july and havent looked back since

Matty84:

I’m looking to fulfill my boyhood dream and get my class 1 license next year, my problem is
I’ve 2 young kids and a house to run, and I’m fully aware of the fact I have to get that all
Important first years experience, but financially I can’t afford to take the risk of agency’s
Basically my question is if I done my current day job 5 days a week and then done some agency
Driving on the weekends to get the experience would this be recognised as enough experience
By potential employers or would I have to fully take the plunge and go into it full time?

Any answers or advice would be very much appreciated as this is somthing I really want to do!

Weekly rest rules apply so if you work mon to fri for example then generally you can do 1 day driving every other weekend

ROG:

Matty84:

Weekly rest rules apply so if you work mon to fri for example then generally you can do 1 day driving every other weekend

Such a stupid rule…

adam277:

ROG:

Matty84:

Such a stupid rule…

Why :question: :question: :question:

It does protect worker & employer so you don’t get exploited & have enough rest ( or down time ) so they say to recover & be alert for driving if /when you have reached your maximum of 90hours driving in a fortnight you may appreciate this & maxed your working time out some employers would still want you to do more if this rule wasn’t there

Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it, I work 60 hours a week so I’m guessing if it’s a max of 90 hours I would probably be allowed to drive twice a month if I was to drive on a Saturday or Sunday? Please correct me if I’m wrong here as I haven’t really looked I to the drivers hours as of yet.

Matty84:
I work 60 hours a week

This screws you completely as 60 hrs is the max you can work in any week you drive.

I’m currently a self employed and my current job has nothing to do with driving other than the daily commute, so would this make me exempt from the Max 60 hours a week or is that 60 hours count for any kind of work I do?

Matty84:
I’m currently a self employed and my current job has nothing to do with driving other than the daily commute, so would this make me exempt from the Max 60 hours a week or is that 60 hours count for any kind of work I do?

This counts as any work you do as you should fill in a chart ( Toch ) for days you haven’t driven if you look at it that way

As you can’t do 60 hours work then drive for how long you like as that would be un safe & some lorry drivers would be doing other work when not driving

Héraultais:

Matty84:
I work 60 hours a week

This screws you completely as 60 hrs is the max you can work in any week you drive.

Not correct = the non driving job does not count towards the driving job for WTD purposes but does count as other work for the EU regs

If you got pulled over by the plod or VOSA though, if you do not tell them you do other work it seems highly unlikely they would find out.

ROG:

Héraultais:

Matty84:
I work 60 hours a week

Not correct = the non driving job does not count towards the driving job for WTD purposes but does count as other work for the EU regs

So can he do 60 hrs work in his current job every week and still drive every other saturday or sunday?

Héraultais:

ROG:

Héraultais:

Matty84:
I work 60 hours a week

So can he do 60 hrs work in his current job every week and still drive every other saturday or sunday?

No offence but I would not like to be behind him if he does ( as he would have done 120 hours in 2 weeks then some driving maybe a 15hour shift )

Think of the children :laughing: :laughing:

Right I get it now, to be fair as Animal says I wouldn’t want to burn myself out as my working week is fairly tiering and I wouldn’t want to put myself or others at risk for the sake of trying to play the system, I’ll have to go back to the drawing board I guess but thanks a lot for all your help and advice guys I appreciate it :smiley: