Driving ban

Hi everyone.
I am looking for a career change and this is something I have wanted to do for a long time, but never had the circumstances to change.
I got a drink driving ban and got my licence back 4 years ago. It was a 12 month ban, and I did the Alcohol Awareness course and had it reduced to 9 months. It was a very harsh lesson, but one that was well learned!

My question is: “Are there haulage firms in the Leeds/Bradford area, that are prepared to take a driver on, with that conviction in my history?”
Needless to say, I drive like a saint these days as losing my licence was horrendous, and not something I ever want to experience again.
I dont want to pay for the course, only to find I cant get a job.
Many thanks for your comments.

It wont be easy to find someone to take you on, but there always someone that will see past the conviction and look at the individual on his own merits.

To be honest I wouldn’t recommend it unless you knew someone would give you a job, just be wasted money I’m afraid. I don’t even know if a trainer’s insurance co would let you drive his wagon with that on your ticket.

But god loves a tryer.

If my insurance company accepted it (probably would) I would consider taking on someone like the op describes, but would have to get to know them a bit better before offering a job eg go out as second man for a couple of days to see how they performed.

They may accept it coiler but you’d probly have to pay an extra grand per year or some such which the OP would need to pay.

Good luck btw I know what it is like and yes saintly Ness does come after a DR on your licence

A DR10 on your licence in all honesty is the kiss of death, atm the moment there is plenty of lads with clean licences looking to improve their prospects and they will get a look in on the good firms before you- the bottom end of the industry may take you on, but expect their pound of flesh in return which could lead you to a lot of other problems- I am sorry to say, unless you are very lucky, with a DR10 anyone that employs you most guys wouldn’t want to work for

i have two drivers who work for me with dr 10
it takes my £500 excess to £1000 with axa

That’s not too bad Mark. I’d take a chap on with it if I thought he was alright & it was a temporary one off so to speak.

You just need to make sure he doesn’t have a drink problem. I had a chap once not turn up for a scotch trunk. Had to jump out of bed, go round his house only to be told by his brother he was in the local nick after getting paralytic the night before and getting in to a bout of fisticuffs. Luckily the keys were in the house & I bounced.

Terrible affliction being a slave to the drink.

Not long after that I introduced a duplicate key policy not surprisingly. You live & learn!

I employed a bloke with a DR10, one of the best drivers I had TBH. There was an increased insurance premium, can’t remember how I went about it, but I would think I paid the bloke a bit less until the difference was made up, or had a bigger excess for him, which he would’ve had to cover.

It wasn’t like I couldn’t find drivers, but I liked this bloke’s attitude, turned out well in the end.

Before you ask though, I sold my lorries and emigrated, so can’t help now :laughing:

You got your licence back 4 years ago after being banned for 9 months. It won’t be long before you no longer have to disclose it, So it shouldn’t make any difference with regards to insurance.

think it stays on the licence for 11 years Phil

Driver-Once-More:

Correct
11 years from date of conviction
If the offence is:

drink driving or drug driving - shown on the licence as DR10, DR20, DR30, DR31, DR61 and DR80.

A conviction 5 or more years old presents less of a problem from an insurance view even if it’s a drink related one that’ll still be shown on the licence.

Driver-Once-More:

It does, But you don’t have to declare it after 5 years and even if you do it can’t be used against you.

Joel1971:
I dont want to pay for the course, only to find I cant get a job.
Many thanks for your comments.

You may find the Traffic Commissioner refuses your application for a LGV provisional license or you get called for an interview.

I think you’d struggle as a newly qualified driver with zero experience and a DR10 on your license. If you’ve a few grand to spare then I’d say do it but if you’re doing it relying on getting a job any time in the near future I’d say don’t.

newmercman:
I employed a bloke with a DR10, one of the best drivers I had TBH. There was an increased insurance premium, can’t remember how I went about it, but I would think I paid the bloke a bit less until the difference was made up, or had a bigger excess for him, which he would’ve had to cover.

However I suspect he already had experience as a lorry driver? The OP doesn’t.