Driving at night

Hate doing night trunks I get tired far too easy .Any tips for tiredness ? Is it legal to drive with the cab light on ?

Surely driving with the light on would impair your vision at night?

Plenty of coffee, the Dark Lord at 2am, and if it gets to you STOP for a rest. Sod what the gaffers say.

Ken.

Alternatively, we could have a discussion about why YOU think this is / or is not, a troll post.

easy fix, find a day driving job

How long have you been night trunking and how well do you sleep during the day?

I used to enjoy night trunking years ago quiet roads etc and i didn’t have problem with tiredness, but when I’ve done it in the last few years I’ve really hated it after the first few days because I can’t sleep during the day. If I were to do it again I’d sort out my bedroom with blackout blinds, so I could sleep properly during the day.

:sunglasses:

Quinny:

Plenty of coffee, the Dark Lord at 2am, and if it gets to you STOP for a rest. Sod what the gaffers say.

Ken.

It’s not a troll post it’s a legit question . I am an HGV driver looking for advice on a truck forum . Your the one spamming the thread saying i’m trolling .

The cure for tiredness is sleep.

Or:

Blast the tunes out.

Put the window down.

Set your seat to springy and bounce up and down.

Bang your head against the back of your seat.

Stick your head out the window and turn your windscreen washers on.

Phone your mate who’s also on nights and help each other through it by talking utter bollox.

Eat and drink.

Practice your drumming.

Practise your singing.

Don’t worry it will pass, you just got to power through it.

A friend of mine drives nights, Monday thru to Saturday morning, he goes home every day and treats his shift like a day shift, ie doesn’t go straight to bed when he gets home and gets up an hour before his shift starts, breakfast, shower then hits the road, think he gets an hour or so mid shift but that’s it!

Hope this helps!

truck11:

Quinny:

Ken.

It’s not a troll post it’s a legit question . I am an HGV driver looking for advice on a truck forum . Your the one spamming the thread saying i’m trolling .

Maybe the fact about you asking about driving with the cab light on makes one wonder!
Surely any driver would know that would be a very silly thing to do and would certainly not keep you awake.
If you cannot sleep during the day give it up before you cause a bad accident.

Quinny:

Ken.

It’s not impaired vision that bothers me at night .It’s number 5 on this link . Just wondering if it’s legal in the UK or this link is American or something . I hate falling asleep .

1. At night, turn the interior light on. Darkness causes your body to produce melatonin, the hormone that puts you to sleep, much faster than tiredness. Plan ahead and put the light on before you get tired, if at all possible, because once you have melatonin in your system it is difficult to return to a wakeful state without a 15 minute nap.
    wikihow.com/Stay-Awake-when-Driving

FarnboroughBoy11:

Or:

Blast the tunes out.

Put the window down.

Phone your mate who’s also on nights and help each other through it by talking utter bollox.

Eat and drink.

Practice your drumming.

Practise your singing.

All of the above, except the head and windscreen washers one and bang head on the back of the seat :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

albion1971:
Maybe the fact about you asking about driving with the cab light on makes one wonder!
Surely any driver would know that would be a very silly thing to do and would certainly not keep you awake.
If you cannot sleep during the day give it up before you cause a bad accident.

It worked for me when I was on nights

It might just be me, but it’s a troll post innit?

Some cab happy Mr. Bates has parked up for the night & found himself a mobile phone signal.

Sad, oh so sad :frowning:

FarnboroughBoy11:

Or:

Blast the tunes out.

Put the window down.

Eat and drink.

Practice your drumming.

Practise your singing.

What he said, also knocking one out gets the heart pumping and blood flowing which also helps, but don’t take it too far as you’ll be asleep pretty sharpish :grimacing:

Night driving doesn’t suit everyone, if you really can’t cope with the tiredness find another job.

I’m bloody lethal driving a car at night, bored stiff and all i want is to shut down and go to sleep.

Completely different in the lorry, got me working head on and never feel the nods.

Chas:
Sad, oh so sad :frowning:

That certainly describes someone on this topic, and as far as I can see it isn’t the OP.

Agree with most of the above apart from eating and drinking.
Heavy eating makes you tired (think Sunday roast and a nap on the sofa)

Baby wipes over the face help freshen you up however there is no substitute for sleep.
If you’re not sleeping properly see your doctor (if overweight you could have sleep apnoea or some other condition)
If you’re that tired maybe nights isn’t the right job for you or any other road users around you.

Blue light keeps you awake, which i use when i night trunk to Livingston.I swear by it.Google it, and it tells you all about the scientific side of it.

If you have a smartphone, download the free app called Flashlight.This gives you a torch for your phone, but also you can turn your full screen into any colour, including blue.Plug phone into charger and place your blue light wherever you prefer.I put mine so it is facing my face from the centre of the dash.

Plus i take coffee, and i never get tired at all, and that is with
not always getting much sleep through the day due to personal circumstances.

Haven’t some trucks got night lights in them? My MAN has, think its either blue or red…