Driving at night problem /advice wanted

ever since i started driving at 17 iv had a problem cannot see properly driving at night . im now 46 and dont wear glasses, iv had eyesight checks and nothing wrong comes up. But these tests are done in the daylight as you expect. im scared to mention at the opticians case im flagged up and lose my licence
iv made sure my jobs over the years are a daytime driving only but come this time of year when nights draw in ,im in real trouble,im leaning forward in my seat a tad its as if my headlights are poor. But it cant be that,as no matter what truck or car i drive its the same. And worse if it raining.
What do you think the prob is?

Eat more carrots?

or

Drive for Huntapac

Have a mate like that but she is very short sighted so dosent drive at night ( not a driver btw )

My ex mother in law is also similar but has vertigo have you been tested for either

I,m just about to start tonight on a 12 hour shift.

only good thing about it is theres not much traffic, especially on a sunday night. dont if there still is but there used to be these night time driving glasses, they had a yellow tinted glass in them which enhanced your vision but seemed to make it better when you had headlights shining in your mug.

see you at 11.30 tomorrow morning.

animal:
Have a mate like that but she is very short sighted so dosent drive at night ( not a driver btw )

My ex mother in law is also similar but has vertigo have you been tested for either

i know i dont like ladders/heights how would that be connected?. do some of you lads who wear glasses, dont bother in the daytime but Always do at night?

GBD:
I,m just about to start tonight on a 12 hour shift.

only good thing about it is theres not much traffic, especially on a sunday night. dont if there still is but there used to be these night time driving glasses, they had a yellow tinted glass in them which enhanced your vision but seemed to make it better when you had headlights shining in your mug.

see you at 11.30 tomorrow morning.

Tinted lenses don’t help your vision. All they do is stop glare.

how could it be connected to vertigo / i dont know if i have that but its a possibility

Its not easy to comment as we can’t see what you’re seeing, if you see what i mean.

However, you are not alone, night driving has got progressively worse over the years, due in no small part to the light wars, and lights are now getting to ridiculous outputs, with millions of lumens of headlights, xenon beams flashing blue spectrum edges right into your retinas, stupidly bright LED rear lights especially stop lights.
Not forgetting the fashion for camp as old Paree fairy lights and 17 year old boys ■■■■■■■■■ Halfords accessory shop style DRL’s, now fitted to lorries as well as cars…and oh perlease don’t some of these girly light displays on lorries make you cringe, they do me, do grow up some of you.

The problem with all this light output is that your night vision is completely destroyed, the trend for modern lights is that the louder they are and the more of them the better, thats cobblers because a brilliantly bright light with a sharp cut off beam only leads to a seemingly darker section beyond the reach of the light, the same phenomenon as trying to reverse into a dark barn on a sunny day, you can’t see a thing because of the dazzle.

Many years ago everyone drove around London in particular, or anywhere else for that matter with good street lighting including motorways on side lights alone, because everyone did it (and advertising hordings hadn’t reached the current crass level of bling LED garish brightness) everyone had a good proportion of night vision still, which meant that things not lit, such as pedestrians cyclists buidlings kerbs pot holes etc could still be seen due to the standard street lights.

It might be that your sight isn’t as bad as you think, the fetish for more lights, and the misguided conviction that ever more light makes things safer is going to lead us further down this road.

From a practicality point of view, make sure your windows and mirrors are spotlessly clean, you lights are adjusted correctly (far too many are all over the shop) and make sure you get enough sleep.

I think your problem is as follows,your eyes are bolloxed…I wouldn’t thint it advisable to be going to the docs in case he dobs you into Swansea.all you can do is live with it till it gets worse…I sometimes suffer eye problems when im constipated and have to sit on the jax for 15 or 20 mins…after im finished,my eyes are watering like buggery…mabey its something similar? or as the other dude suggested…eat more carrots?..or…the pic might just be the answer to your prob? :smiley:

vight vision goggles.jpg

dieseldog999:
I think your problem is as follows,your eyes are bolloxed…I wouldn’t thint it advisable to be going to the docs in case he dobs you into Swansea.all you can do is live with it till it gets worse…I sometimes suffer eye problems when im constipated and have to sit on the jax for 15 or 20 mins…after im finished,my eyes are watering like buggery…mabey its something similar? or as the other dude suggested…eat more carrots?..or…the pic might just be the answer to your prob? :smiley:

pmslmas :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

corij:
ever since i started driving at 17 iv had a problem cannot see properly driving at night . im now 46 and dont wear glasses, iv had eyesight checks and nothing wrong comes up. But these tests are done in the daylight as you expect. im scared to mention at the opticians case im flagged up and lose my licence
iv made sure my jobs over the years are a daytime driving only but come this time of year when nights draw in ,im in real trouble,im leaning forward in my seat a tad its as if my headlights are poor. But it cant be that,as no matter what truck or car i drive its the same. And worse if it raining.

Try these I used them for night driving with no problem
ebay.co.uk/itm/like/19107116 … 108&ff19=0

Sorry to say this but, if you really are struggling as much as you say, you are a danger to yourself and everyone else.
You need to get it sorted.

You may have an actual condition which can be treated. Check out “night blindness”. Make an appointment with a good opticians. Dolland and Atchison used to be good but I fear they were taken over by Boots. When you make the appointment say that it is night vision that concerns you. The optician will not pass your details to anyone without your permission. The less light there is, the wider your iris will open allowing more light to enter.
ensure the cab is as dark as possible ie. no internal lights, dimmed panel lights, no reflective ppe, no white papers on the dashboard. Have your sun visor down to cut out the ingress of “un-needed” light from overhead street lights or sky.
good luck

Dehydration will have an effect on vision.

This might seem sound a bit silly but have you cleaned your lights ? you would be surprised at the difference it can make

bjd:
‘…This might seem sound a bit silly but have you cleaned your lights…?’

corij:
‘…ever since I started driving at 17 I’ve had a problem cannot see properly driving at night. I’m now 46…’

Yeah, that’ll be it, matey: You’ve had mucky lights for 29 years :wink:

I work nights and suffer ‘similar’ issues…daytime vision is excellent, as is nights…it’s only at the start/end of shift when I’m filling me chart in, the writing seems to have blurry edges! It may be something to do with having poor headlight alignment ie the top of the beam being 5yards in front of you (see that on many trucks/cars and can sometimes see how they manage to run into things if the road ahead is not properly illuminated). I always adjust mine (along with the bumper spots) by the adjustment screws on the headlamp itself and not the dial on the dash and the top of the beam is approx 100-150 yards ahead…high enough to light up the road properly but not so high to dazzle everybody else…you’ll soon know if they are a tad high because you will get flashed! Turn the adjuster down a couple of mm’s and all should be fine. The next thing I do when back at the yard is point the unit at a wall (making sure it’s level) and if possible, mark the line of the top of beams against a row of bricks or cement, turn the adjuster to ‘0’ (I drive an old Scania btw) and readjust the beam level by way of the aforementioned screws…job done. Another good thing about that is when running with the midlift up and the arse end is up, you can adjust the dial and turn the lights up so that you still have the distance on the lights. And at this time of year, always give the lenses a good clean ever time you park…then put a couple of coats of wax on 'em (the same as you put on your car) and also wax the side windows…once every couple of weeks should be ok, unless your always using a lorry/jet wash…TFR will strip it off. As for the lights, works fine until it’s MOT time but then run & repeat! I gotta admit, with newer cars having the Bi-Xenon (Retina Burners) lamps, nights are becoming a bit of a strain on the old eyes these days…it doesn’t help with most car/van drivers running about with the main beam on all the time.

Tinted lenses of any kind will reduce the amount of light getting to your eyes, which would appear to be exactly the opposite of what is needed for night driving. Even “clear” lenses reduce light transmission measurably. One thing those yellow tinted glasses appear to be good for though is daytime fog, as they enhance contrast a bit and reduce glare (this effect may be what leads wearers to think their night vision is improved - it feels better even though by any objective measure it is not).

As others have said, there are medical conditions that can cause vision problems when driving at night, and this really needs to be checked out. Losing your (vocational) licence would indeed be a major problem - but not half as much a problem as losing your sight altogether…

A check up may be the best option.
I had mine the other day and it went like this:

Me: “Hello Mr Optician I’m here for my regular check up”
Optician: “Thats nice have you noticed any change in your eyesight”
Me: “Well I have noticed a slight reduction in my visual acuity”
Optician: “I’m afraid your going to have to stop masterbating”
Me: “Whys that ?”

Optician: “Because I am trying to test your eyes, you dirty bugger!”

Dipper_Dave:
A check up may be the best option.
I had mine the other day and it went like this:

Me: “Hello Mr Optician I’m here for my regular check up”