Driving assessments - Any tips?

Anyone been on a driving assessment recently? Things to remember? Try not to plough through a woman pushing a pram. Anything else?

I’ve just passed an assessment for an interview and what he liked the most was me checking over my right shoulder every time I pulled away as noone else did that . Also leave space Infront in traffic incase car Infront was to break down and assume every traffic light is about to turn red . It worked for me hope all goes well my friend

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Did you overtake another truck on the motorway? How close did you get to the truck in front before you pull out? I remember years ago I got too close before pulling out (because I’d seen a lot of trucks overtaking by getting up close and then pulling out) but the guy said "You shouldn’t get as close when overtaking in case the truck in front breaks down - so stay back. He didn’t fail me but it was close I think.

So, how far behind would you pull out? 10 seconds behind it?

JeffA:
Did you overtake another truck on the motorway? How close did you get to the truck in front before you pull out? I remember years ago I got too close before pulling out (because I’d seen a lot of trucks overtaking by getting up close and then pulling out) but the guy said "You shouldn’t get as close when overtaking in case the truck in front breaks down - so stay back. He didn’t fail me but it was close I think.

Never get closer than a 2 second gap

Dont forget the height sticker,wheel nut pointers,three points of contact,ask him to check the brake lights,and even ask if there is enough screen wash in it

ROG:

That’s 50 metres, half the distance between countdown markers.

Really depends on who the assesments with, some more strict than others…

Is it just tips, or do you want a full monty walk through, as done a few since Xmas.
for casual work, but as most the same fairly easy, and same patterns etc.

best tip, just do what you always do, drive professionally.

Tips
Written tests…
Remember sign shapes mean something, so even if you can’t remember the signs meaning, the options given will indicate one of the answers, might be the only one saying ‘warning’ xyz…

Also eliminate what you know is wrong in multiple choice, and sometimes only left with the answer…

WTD and driving hours, remember the rules of 15hrs max, as usually a complex two day plan, driving, poa, working time etc etc… but when added up, its actually over 15hrs on first day… so regardless of breakdown, illegal, had two try that trick.

All of the written tests, you just need to remember all the driving hour rules and also WTD 15/6 30/9 9/45 - create a mobile phone screen saver with any you think you might forget… :wink:

Also if you get a question and no idea, if you leave it blank, and they like you, but you’ve not got enough right answers, some will use the blank ones and put right answers in for you to pass :wink: if they don’t like you though guess… lol

Vehicle checks… pull out a book, and say your just going to note down some bits in your driving hours book, and then note mot of trailer, height, and tacho calibration, say its so if vosa pull you over, you can just read it out to them from pad in cab.

Ensure you do a manual entry for time doing written tests and chatting prior.

You can then also write list of checks in book, as usually you have your check sheet but most assesment they don’t give you one.

BLACK & GOAL you usually need to know, but enough signs in a yard if they use em.

Driving, watch out for the ones that try saying take the next junction, and they’ll say it after youve just passed the sign that said you would be prohibited or a warning usually a bridge …

Also just give a running comentry as driving, and add some banter… but should show you reading ahead and aware of the micra driver at junction, possibly old git so aware, or the suicide jocky behind you so expecting a stupid overtake soon.

Make a point of trailer hieght, and especially adjusting the marker in your cab, had one set it out by 3"

However this is all big companies… smaller ones, just do an assesment, not try to catch you out, making sure your safe, which is all its meant to be… not a driving test… you’ve already passed that.

JeffA:

Is it for a big company? Ive done numerous assessments and never been taken on a motorway. A roads and urban usually and roundabouts. Most companies will have their own route they take you on near their depot.

On your walkabout, do a do a verbal check as you are checking stuff to let him know what you are doing. Tyres, lights (get him to check your trailer lights when you brake etc), and make sure he knows you are aware of the trailer height and check cab height meter.

Dont rush your checks, better to be thorough than miss anything.

On the drive, just take your time, dont rush. Dont take risks. If anything does go amiss I find it best to explain/talk to the guy.

On my DPD assessment, I had to do a really tight left turn on a country lane and just as I was turining in a car appeared from nowhere at speed, so I had to cut in quicker than I expected and clipped the curb. I explained to him why Id cut in, to avoid the car obviously, and thought Id blown it! Rest of the drive was great. When I got to the end, I said to him, cant believe Ive screwed up this just cos of that one curb. His reply was ‘What curb?’ and grinned :slight_smile:

Jeff…Don’t strike up a conversation about politics, immigration, or people on the dole with the assessor ffs… you’ll just ■■■■ him right off. :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

P4UL H4RVEY:
I’ve just passed an assessment for an interview and what he liked the most was me checking over my right shoulder every time I pulled away as noone else did that . Also leave space Infront in traffic incase car Infront was to break down and assume every traffic light is about to turn red . It worked for me hope all goes well my friend

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

What are you seeing when you look over your right shoulder ?

BF8CCEEE-F2E8-49E9-94F8-12932787E61D.jpeg

Many thanks Tonka and everyone else.

This video is where I got the “Any tips” line from :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=MqrYeSl9rqA

stu675:

ROG:

Except it’s not an absoute distance, it varies on the speed of the vehicle: 2 seconds at 30mph is not the same as 2 seconds at 50mph. Also trying to calculate what is or is not 50m will be a lot more variable than looking at the vehicle in front passing a stationary object and counting two seconds.

stu675:

ROG:

Distance depends on speed
Zac A just beat me to it :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Zac_A:

stu675:

ROG:

Except it’s not an absoute distance, it varies on the speed of the vehicle: 2 seconds at 30mph is not the same as 2 seconds at 50mph.

ffs stating the obvious are we? When the op suggested 10 seconds (a quarter of a kilometre [emoji849]) I thought it might be helpful to try and visualise 2 seconds, another way of explaining it if you like.

Also trying to calculate what is or is not 50m will be a lot more variable than looking at the vehicle in front passing a stationary object and counting two seconds.

The length of 50m never changes…so having a visual reference of what that looks like can be helpful to some people. It’s why distances are sometimes measured in car lengths or football fields etc.

ROG:

stu675:

ROG:

Distance depends on speed
Zac A just beat me to it :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

If we’re talking about pulling out to overtake a moving vehicle, then it’s pretty likely it’s in the 40-56 mph range rather than the 0-30mph. As 56 is the limit, 2 seconds will never be more than 50 meters. Although, and what you didn’t state, poor conditions might require more than 2 seconds.

stu675:

ROG:

Another way that works
One lane line, short or long, for every 10mph

Another bit of trivia = the distance between where it says keep two chevrons apart is also the same as between two lamp posts and is about 7 lane lines
M1 southbound in Northants is a good place to see this

Thanks for the advice everyone - I passed the assessment and got the job. Grand a week. Unfortunately I can’t tell you where as, like rob says, if the boss is a raving right-winger and he finds out I’m the bedwetting liberal off trucknet he might get a cob on :smiley:

I told the girlfriend to break out the red ■■■■■■■ tonight - we’re rich!! I’m gonna have a bigger pension than Winseer!

JeffA:
Thanks for the advice everyone - I passed the assessment and got the job. Grand a week.

Well done!..

I wouldn’t get out of bed for that pittance though. :smiley:

Nah dog ■■■■ money that. And you posted a thread for it! :smiley: